The merry go round. $700 seperates or integrated?

If I have $700 to $800  to spend at most  am I better off with a used integrated say Marantz PM 15S1 or Anthem 225 as examples or do I go for the NAD/ Rotel/Adcom/Parasound  used preamp power combos.  I want phono remote and a headphone jack.   I am taking about sound quality here and not  power but would like to stay above 80w/ch  I have always preferred an  integrated amp has there is less screwing around with power cord and IC choices which just are more variables but for less then the amount listed above one came up with some nice combo pre power set ups. The speakers are Infinity RS 2.5s.   FYI I worked in the audio biz and helped countless people do this but I think I am in mid life crisis and have heard/ compared  to much gear in the last few years.  I  can hear differences pretty easily  and find much mid gear today to be thin, over detailed and unmusical.  I even tried one integrated I swear screwed up the timing of the music. I find most older gear swings but no remotes. Something like an old Luxman R117 receiver which I had last year was sure fun  Not perfect but very enjoyable.  it have had remote.   Just want to get off the merry go round.Thanks
128x128geph0007

Showing 4 responses by timlub

If I remember these speakers correctly, they are 4 ohm and drop down to somewhere more like 3 ohms....

With that.... Audio Refinement Complete  50 watts to 8 and 90 watts to 4 ohms.

Coda Unison 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3,   all will drive this speaker.  this is a great sounding unit and extreme value.  Probably $1000

Krell  300,  should find one of these in the $1000 range.

If, I think of others, I'll reply,  These are all that come to mind

Tim

The 3 amps that I recommended earlier are all integrateds...I haven't seen curves on the Infinity's,  but I've heard the old Audio Refinement drive for ohms in the past with very good authority... Unless the Infinity's are straying into 2 ohm territory it should be good. Id the speaker stays in lower impedences below 4 ohms over any real frequency range, then no,  I would not use it.  

The Coda and the Krell both however would drive these speakers to any level that you would care to listen. I can't speak for others, but I wouldn't compare the Adcom with either of these integrateds.

When John at Musical Concepts Modifies an Adcom,  he replaces the boards,  they really are not Adcoms anymore.  He adds a substantial cost to the 555 and you would still need a preamp.... All 3 integrateds that I recommended also have a remote.

Just trying to stress the points of why I suggested these...
if you want to go the power amp route.  The 555 or 5500 will work fine,  you could add a Sumo Andromeda II or III.  Any of the Sumo or Adcom  amps should run $400 to $600, but again, you'll need a preamp.

Looking at the power amps mentioned.... An old Parasound could be decent as well as one of the 200 watt B&K models.  The Sumo and Adcoms will also work.  And an old Muse would be great. The Usher is newer, great bass, a little edgy on top and you won't fine one under $1500.  The Audio Research mentioned really is a phenomenal choice, but finding one would be tough.

Overall trying to keep a budget,  If possible, I would still look the integrated route.  Of course a great buy on anything could change it all.

This minute, there is a Musical Fidelity A3.5 on Ebay for $900 or best offer.  The is a possibility.  Good Luck,  Tim

Here you go, not mentioned above and I didn't think of it either,  but it fits the bill of everything on your checklist..

It is a tubed preamp with a solid state power amp,  200 watts into 8 ohms and has a remote, PLUS its in your price range. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shanling-A3000-Integrated-Stereo-Hybrid-Amplifier-Vaccum-Tube-Solid-State-/232020350833?hash=item36057d9771:g:Hd8AAOSwsTxXj3O5

I hope this helps,  Tim