The majic of early 1970's rock and it's influence-

Starting with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones in the sixties; then adding in the Vietnam War, and the sexual revolution, which also occurred at this time, I think the time frame of 1970-1975 created the majority of rock's geniuses, the likes of which probably won't be seen again. I use, for examples- Jimmy Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Yes, Elton John, Genesis, the Allman Brothers, Janis Joplin, Eric Clapton, Jethro Tull, Santana, and Neil Young, just to name a few. I think earlier (pre 1970) rock concerts of large attendance, such as the Beatles tours and Woodstock also had a profound influence on the social change during this time. What do you think?
talon4

Showing 5 responses by jdm61

Lou...I must disagree.....most music from any era is mediocre...this is not a problem just with the rock era. I think that it is just as likely if not more so that people will know the Beatles as opposed to Sinatra and I will tell ya why..lol Do you remember who wrote Don Giovanni or who gave a particularly stellar performance of it in 1905? nuff sed
I will admit that amateur pharmacology can make for what, in hindsight, are some slightly cheesy lyrics. I thing even Jimmy Page and Neil Peart would admit today that they smoked a little to much weed and read Tolkien and Ayn Rand a few too many times...lol. What has faired well from the 60's- 70's is the quality of the musical composition. Even at its most pretentious moments, the best music written from about 66 on (middle and late Beatles. Pet Sounds, Creem, Jimi) could not have even been conceived as possible by the rock musicians of 1960. Miles Davis didn't even start blending genres like that until 68 or 69. Much of the musical experimentation can be writtenoff as noodling, but even then,it is superior to those who nodle in the present (sorry, Phish fans, but can you say derivative?)
Hey Steve...........did you ever think how cheesy/funny it would be to do a medely of 70's lyrics just by jamming random phrases together? How's this? 5rom the darkest depths of Mordor I....see all good people turn their heads.....and hold the red star proudly high in hand.....ramble on, little wing......What do ya think? lol
Elvis has left the building
#ut seriously, folks..... another band that I think has captured the spirit of the great prog rock era is Radiohead
m politics aside.............Coldplay, on the other hand is shite, IMHO......Gwyneth's taste in music must not be up to snuff in comparison to this august group..lol
But then again, Elvis imitated Hank Williams et al and all of the black musicians he heard late at night when he could pick up those Chicago and Memphis radio stations. As for Chuck, he was a rytmym and blues man long before he and Little Richard kicked up the tempo, cleaned up the lyrics and told the white kids about rock n roll. All music is derivative.......but as previously stated by many, the guys in the 60's and 70ls took the music to new places. It also didnalt hurt that many of the players (Clapton, Beck, Hendrix, Allman, 6reen, etc) were considerable more polished and proficient musicians than there idols, although I will admit that a few, like Magic Sam, Freddie King, Otis Rush and Buddy Guy could hold their own. But if you think about, their later playing got louder and more distorted after they heard those you Brits play their songs.