The Impossible Has Happened

If you've been visiting this forum for very long you know that many people consider professional audio reviews, the ones in the print (Stereophile, TAS, etc.) and online magazines, at best to be paid promotion and more likely outright lies in an attempt to scam you out of your money.

Here is a quote from a recent thread that was about reviews, not about their honesty or value, but got a number of posts about those attributes anyway.

Just once I would like to read a review of a pricey piece of equipment that said that the reviewer couldn’t hear any difference between that and something far less expensive . . .

Well believe it or not that has just happened in TAS, considered by many to be the worst abuser of the truth. The situation is not exactly as in the quote above, the less expensive gear is being reviewed in this example, but it is the same in essence, IMHO.

Alan Taffel wrote a review of the T+A Series 200 components.  In it he says 

"I happen to own a wonderful-sounding modular integrated amp: the CH Precision I1.  Comparing it to the Series 200 was natural but a bit unfair.  The CH unit costs more than double the price of the Series 200 stack.  Nonetheless, I was glad I embarked on this comparison, because otherwise I never would have known that the two systems sounded almost identical."

The CH I1 starts at $38,000.  Fully loaded it costs over $50,000..

The Series 200 stack, consisting of a transport/streamer, a DAC and an integrated amp in 3 separate boxes, costs $18,475.

So I'm not saying you should believe everything you read in professional reviews or even any of it, but here is an example where a reviewer stated that a system costing less than half a more expensive system sounded "almost identical" to the more expensive system. 

And CH Precision has a full page ad in that issue of TAS, February 2023, while T+A has none.  Just thought you might like to know.

128x128tomcy6

@larryincmh I almost wonder if your explanation makes it worse. If a reviewer will not actually review a poorly performing piece of equipment (and advises manufacturer accordingly), their product remains on the market with excruciatingly detailed spin and rationale for why it’s a marvel of audio nirvana. 

We unsuspecting audiophiles without brick and mortar access buy the product without the benefit of an unbiased review and are left to deal with the headaches. We would be better served if every “commercially released” product is honestly reviewed…even if it is junk. Withholding that info serves no one…except the producer of said junk. 

When I was a kid in High School, the cool kids were mostly concerned about being seen and who they were seen with.  The rest of us obsessed about our cars and car radios dreaming about what we would buy if we had money.  Now move forward 20-30 years.  What has changed?  The cool kids have made their millions and are still focused on being seen and who they are seen with.  The rest of us try to fulfill our dreams of having killer stereos and cars.  Same as it ever was...

@chocaholic I would agree that your assessment is valid. I might not have thought about it exactly that way before. I know for me personally when I’m looking at any piece of equipment or gear I spend a lot of time in the real world user forums like this one to see what people have to say about things. If there’s a review I simply use it as one tool and not the end-all. Of course that’s just me.