The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions
Post removed 
@kosst_amojan
The Berning TF-10 is a tube preamp with about 10 tubes in it. It draws about 60 watts; that's about the same as my laptop charger.

Panasonic came out with a new formula for electrolytic capacitors some years back that allowed them to be a lot smaller with good performance. Chinese copies of that part proved to be unreliable but due to their price found their way into a lot of consumer gear- laptops, chargers, that sort of thing. So I've become hesitant to blame electrolytics for failures generally speaking, until I know more about the actual part used. If its one of those knock-offs, its going to fail no matter what.

Funny, I haven't read anyone comment about having owned both class d and a-a/b. I'm very interested in what they think. This thread, as well as the entire audiogon forum, is populated with either/or, one or the other, with very strong advocates in both camps. 

Funny, I haven't read anyone comment about having owned both class d and a-a/b. I'm very interested in what they think. This thread, as well as the entire audiogon forum, is populated with either/or, one or the other, with very strong advocates in both camps.
I haven't been paying close attention to this thread, so perhaps someone has already responded in a similar way.

I've owned many amps that use differing underlying technology.  I'm including integrated amps in the lists below.

For class A/B I've owned the following brands - Rotel, Parasound, Krell, Lexicon, Marantz, and Emotiva.

For class D I've owned the following brands - Wyred 4 Sound, Peachtree, and Sunfire.

For tubed amps I've owned Rogue Audio and Audio Research.

I recently purchased a Heed Elixir integrated that uses what Heed calls "Transcap" technology. 

I have not owned any pure Class A amps.

I think they all have strengths and weaknesses and what really matters at the end of the day is how they sound.  A lot is going to depend on the way the designer understands and implementsed the technology and the level of the build quality and components. 

Out of all the amps I've listed, the ones that I have liked best (and still have) are the Rogue Audio M-180 tube monoblocks, the Wyred 4 Sound Class D ST-1000 MKII, the Audio Research tube VSi-55 integrated, and the Heed Elixir integrated.

It's hard to imagine the entire market going in one direction or another.  Designers may be more knowledgeable about a specific type of technology or prefer the way it sounds and so it seems logical there will continue to be diversity among design and implementation philosophies.

Vive la différence!

Actually I have owned Class D and class A/B amps....

Aragon 4008 Mk.2 stereo A/B -- Nice but limited performer.

Rowland 7M balanced high bias mono class A/B -- Wonderful golden tone... Absolutely captivating, with huge sound stage and power reserve... but does not compete with current designs in resolution and distortion.

Rowland M312 stereo class D -- Fabulous 2nd generation class D based on ICEpower 1000, with PFC rectifier prefixing the regulated SMPS, and Lundahl input transformers... Would stand up even today, IMO.

Early production Rowland M625 stereo class A/B... Very sweet and transparent... But could run out of gas on extreme transients.

Rowland M725 mono. Original non-S2. Overcomes all limitations of original M625, and edges above M312.

Rowland M925 mono class D -- An incredible performer in a class of its own that I have owned since 2013... I adore it... I have not heard an amp yet that exceeds it in its totality. A total keeper.

Rowland M535 bridgeable class D -- I am evaluating a bridged pair... Jaw-dropping music maker, particularly considering that each chassis in stereo mode lists a smidgeon below $6K.... IMO worth a few times its list price. If M925 did not exist, a pair of M535 would be my long term choice.

Saluti, G.