The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions
Post removed 
If you grew up in awe of big IBM mainframes, Levinson ML3's, and Hummers, it's hard to shake the belief that weight matters.  God knows we've bought tons of thick, sculpted metal boxes in pursuit of audio pedigree.

Millenials grew up valuing "more power in less weight" and will go digital as the baseline of their world.  As a rule of thumb, digital always wins over time.  Soon, it will be arguing Audiogon debates.
Had the NAD M22 with the ncore modules, measured like an absolute champ.

Then we auditioned it in the dealer room next to all the Class AB amps and it just fell on its face.  Dry, sterile, and uninvolving when you really go head to head with Class AB.

Just my experience, but Class D has had this reputation for a while and I heard it justified that day.
I just sold my Simaudio Moon Neo 340i after trying a couple of 3 year old Merrill Thor Mono Blocks in my system driving Dynaudio Confidence C1's.  The class D Merrills, (which use Hypex Modules that contain NCORE technology in the specific OEM UcD modules) easily bested the class A/B amp at about half the cost.  
emcdade said..."Then we auditioned it in the dealer room next to all the Class AB amps and it just fell on its face. Dry, sterile, and uninvolving when you really go head to head with Class AB."

Being a realist... your description of the class d amp above can also be said of many class AB designs also... Amp design implementation is just as important as anything else...all things being equal.