The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions

Showing 3 responses by tomic601

might be time to listen...again....

that is part of the fun after all, otherwise we would all just be on discogs...talking about music....

I bet the hard core organ crowd hates the synthesizer dudes...also, sausage and Filet be da&&ed ! atually Kost, I love them both !

as for music....dropping the digital needle on Pacific Gas and Electric - Are You Ready
somebody said

without suffering, God is an abstraction

so it must be with Class A

and for the agnostic there is class D
I have heard both the ARC monoblock 450 wpc and stereo class D amps (225 wpc )with a REF5 , source was TT , Ayre CD player, AQ cables and Vandersteen 7 at HiFi buys ( at that time 2013 Audio Alternative)
other amps auditioned that day over a 9 hour period:
Aesthetix Atlas - Stereo
Ayre MXR
ARC Ref150
ARC HD220

while the ARC class D amps finished last ( I ended up buying an Ayre VXR, they put up a good account of themselves. Not the last word in refinement, smoothness, etc....they are relatively inexpensive and don’t require a long term care contract with a chiropractor

i suspect ARC and others will keep pushing the quality and refinement for obvious reasons.....as they should...just as the best more traditional circuit designers will also keep pushing, as they should.....