The first "audiophile"?

When was the term "audiophile" coined, by whom, and what systems were the first audiophiles using?

I'm 52 and fairly new to hi-end audio. I purchased a system in 1968-69 while I was serving in the Navy in DaNang, Vietnam. It consisted of a Pioneer receiver, turntable, CS88 speakers, and a Teac real-to-real tape deck. In those days, we thought that was a great stereo.

I'm now putting together a new system for my home office/listening room which includes a Linn Ikemi, Plinius 8150, B&W Matrix 803s, Onkyo T9090II tuner and good ICs and cables.

Just wondering how this madness actually got started.
Joel
joeldoss
Albertporter, thanks for your research. I wonder what the high-end systems included in 1951.
Joel
joeldoss: there have been some recent discussions of your query on another (much-less-friendly) audio site. see, e.g.: http://www.AudioAsylum.com/audio/general/messages/139830.html
Why stop with the emergence of the word as if what it signified did not exist before the word's appearance in our language? Everything was silent in the Garden of Paradise until the voice of Eve "appeared," where, in the sound of this voice, like in a mirror, Adam heard the sound of his own voice, and from henceforth, in this first "disc," all of the human voices of the future were successively registered. --Leaping from Biblical to mythical audiophilia (from Jerusalem to Athens): for Ovid, perhaps prolonging a tradition, the first "audiophile" was born the day that Echo appeared to Narcissus, loving him by staying out of sight, so that he encountered only a void without body, a voice condemned always to repeat the last word and nothing else. Such is the fate of the audiophile who thinks he is repeating the performance recorded on the disc when in fact he belongs to the rustling which is not language (logos), but enchantment. And such is the fate of forum participants who touch each other with words, whose contact with each other is made of words, and who can thus repeat themselves without end, marvelling at what they say, because this speech is not a language, but an idiom they share wth each other, and because each writes to himself in the other's writing in a redoubling which goes from mirage to admiration. ...to admiration. ...to admiration.