The Ferrari 288 GTO of ARC Tube Amps

Further to my fried Levinson, I am hoping some ARC gurus might give me some advice on a new power amp.

Those of you who have read my Retro High End system might understand -- I have a weakness for circa late 80's high end cult classics including my ARC SP-11 MK II and Tympani IVas.

Although dated in some respects -- like the 1986 Ferrari GTO -- these classics were way ahead of their time, continue to compete with the best of the new gear but IMO are more fun and involving to own.

Can any fans of ARC tubes suggest an amp that might best suit my taste? What is the 288 GTO of ARC tube amps? M-300s? (Or are the M-300s more like an F-40 -- fabulously brutal but less refined?) Or would M-100s drive Tympanis?

Or should I be a little less retro and go for a newer unit -- say Classic 150's.

If you havent already guessed, my taste leans more towards midrange, warmth and soundstaging and I am not obsessed with the last word in detail and resolution. These amps are tricky to demo and very $$$ to ship/return so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh -- and if I havent asked too much already, it would be great if the thing didnt require constant service and/or raise my room temperature to 180 degrees.

But of course that is secondary.

Thank you.
cwlondon

Showing 3 responses by maxgain

My experience with this era of ARC follows along the lines of what Albert refers to about updates.I have taken an ARC product from the era of your 11 to what I feel is a new level by some simple updates. There are at least 3 lines of new caps out now that are supposed to be much better than what was used in ARC amps from the late eighties; Cardis Golden Ratio caps(used by Great Northern Sound), AuriCaps, and DynamiCaps. I am a firm beleiver that caps have a major influence on the sound of a HiFi design.

I remember enjoying the M300 but it has been years since I heard them. Classic 150's are based on the 300 but may not give you the juice you need but may be the match you are after as far as sound. M300's may not be a D160 or D79, but have some very good qualities, one of them being the brute force required to run a pair of Tympanis. If you like the 11 it is likely that you will also like the 300's. If not keep reading.

You could talk to Steve Huntley at The Great Northern Sound Co. about which amp he may think would be the best candidate for modification for your application. With a few new caps and IEC's on a pair of M300's you may get what you are after. M300's can be found for sale here on Agon so you won't be looking for something that is quite so rare. My point is that Steve can probably make what you are looking for, for you. A mod by Steve should not destroy the value of your amp to amyone but a collector since they are very profesional from what I have seen. If anything I think they add value for a music lover.
That D160 you mentioned on E-bay, so far appears to be going for a bargin bin, yard sale price at $1500! I would think that at anywhere under $2500 you would never have a problem getting you money back out of it if it weren't the sound you were after. Seems to be a respected unit here on Audiogon.
All of a sudden there are two D-160's on E-bay. Tympani's can be bi-amped can't they? Just a thought?