The Ferrari 288 GTO of ARC Tube Amps

Further to my fried Levinson, I am hoping some ARC gurus might give me some advice on a new power amp.

Those of you who have read my Retro High End system might understand -- I have a weakness for circa late 80's high end cult classics including my ARC SP-11 MK II and Tympani IVas.

Although dated in some respects -- like the 1986 Ferrari GTO -- these classics were way ahead of their time, continue to compete with the best of the new gear but IMO are more fun and involving to own.

Can any fans of ARC tubes suggest an amp that might best suit my taste? What is the 288 GTO of ARC tube amps? M-300s? (Or are the M-300s more like an F-40 -- fabulously brutal but less refined?) Or would M-100s drive Tympanis?

Or should I be a little less retro and go for a newer unit -- say Classic 150's.

If you havent already guessed, my taste leans more towards midrange, warmth and soundstaging and I am not obsessed with the last word in detail and resolution. These amps are tricky to demo and very $$$ to ship/return so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh -- and if I havent asked too much already, it would be great if the thing didnt require constant service and/or raise my room temperature to 180 degrees.

But of course that is secondary.

Thank you.
cwlondon

Showing 4 responses by cwlondon

Edle

I agree -- you are restating exactly my point.

My question is -- what ARC power amp is worthy of similar praise?
Maintenance never seems like a big deal until you try to repack an amp that weighs over 100 pounds and then find someone to collect and ship it!!!!

My fried Levinson is a featherweight 75 pounds or so and I almost threw it out the window last night. (In my mind, at least, because in actual fact I can hardly budge it.)

Makes you consider a Naim Nait or something.....
and just one more thing......"Ferrari" seems to be correct, not only in terms of performance but in terms of maintenance.

Just spoke to ARC (very helpful) who described the D-160 as "an old Ferrari -- a money pit"!

It seems all the old amps run $5-600.00 per channel for retubing PLUS shipping, plus capacitors, plus cartons etc etc.
Shubertmaniac:

You're not the seller of the D-160 on ebay by any chance, are you?

I am otherwise thinking I should take your advice and buy it...