The disappearing $500 turntable

I was just emailing an audio buddy who wants to get a turntable in the $500 range, and I thought there was still a wide selection of them. Just a year ago when I was shopping for one, there was the Goldring GR1.2, Music Hall MMF5, Rega P2, Pro-Ject Xpression with the Pro-Ject RM5 or RM6.

Well, guess what? It looks like the dollar falling against the British Pound and Euro, plus the increasing demand for vinyl playback are taking their toll. Pro-Ject and Music Hall don't really have a $500 turntable anymore. A year ago you could get a Sota Moonbeam from Galen Carol Audio for $529 with cartridge. Now it's $699 without. Many of the previous $500 turntables have been taken "uptown" to X.1 or "SE" versions in the $700-$1000 range. Cambridge Audio's new TT50 is also $679. Now the $500 turntables are gussied-up turntables that used to go for $350, like the Music Hall MMF2.2LE and the USB version of the Pro-Ject Debut III.

Even the Rega P2 is now $545, and $645 with cartridge. The NAD is $599 with cartridge.

Given that most of these are made out of MDF using garden-variety AC synchronous motors driving the platter via a rubber band, it makes the high precision, heavily-built Japanese direct drives in this price range all the more attractive. You can still get a Technics SL1200 mk2 with SuperMat and Kevin's 23-point inspection for $475, the SL1210 M5G for $625, or the Denon DP-500M for $699.

Comments? If you had a friend unfamiliar with vinyl playback who wanted to get into it, what would *you* recommend now for $500?
johnnyb53

Showing 1 response by drumarty

Personally, I would go used under $500. A nice old Thorens or a used Linn Axis would be cool.