the difficult second Lp

Well worn story...band has years to hone their craft and make an amazing debut LP...then falters miserably..due to pressure, success, expectations. etc. There are always exceptions. Zep II, etc. Any train wreck sophomore efforts come to mind? Stone Roses, U2, VH all stumbled a bit on a follow up to a promising debut. On the flip side , any second LPs that really stand out?
128x128phasecorrect

Showing 2 responses by td160

The Doors' follow-up album was at least equal to the debut eponymous album from this group. And Strange Days lacked the perverse lyric found in the first album's last cut; "The end".

Others would say that both "Days" and the debut album are from the same bin of material. It was the 3rd album that seemed to stumble. Then it was the 4th album that fell flat. And finally they found their footing on the Morrison Hotel and LA Woman albums. Then, perhaps mercifully for their front man, it was over.

But that was a long time ago.

-Steve
Quote\
02-27-15: Phasecorrect
This hurts me to say this as a committed fan...but Strange Days is vastly inferior to their debut...I think most Doors fans would agree...and true... they faltered even farther after this...and peaked on the sublime LA women...but "love me two times" seems like a bad parody of "light my fire"...and "when the music is over" is bombastic as "the end"...IMHO ofcourse /Unquote

Disagree...it seems. Of course all of this is highly subjective. With regard to the first album, and the highly rated "light my fire".... It gets my respect for a lyric that finds a new vernacular to describe an ancient and eternal impulse. amazing.

They played it to death on the radio. So much so that it became cliche. Nonetheless it stands apart as a high mark in pop music writing.

I can't imagine that it would be possible to equal that high mark, and I don't see that anything on the 2nd album even tried to equal that. Certainly not the whimsical and, probably, autobiographical "Love me two times".

I personally find nothing to complain about on the second album. And the finale, "When the music's over", does indeed seem bombastic.

"Cancel my subscription to the resurection" (I guess he chooses not to go to heaven...should that bother anyone?)

"What have they done to the earth?
What have they to our fair sister?
Ravaged and plundered
and ripped her and bit her
Stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn
and tied her with fences
and dragged her down."

Right. Not much metaphor here. It states it plainly. Does anyone disagree with anything in that lament? Is it not true?

And on and on. I find this track (When the music's over) to be some of The Doors most trippy and psychedelic playing. The keyboard and guitar solos really get into that realm. Perhaps that is exactly what bothers some of this songs detractors?

If so it doesn't matter to me. I like it.

"I can't see your face in my mind" Here's a real gem. A kind of jazz lament with oriental overtones. Works for me.

"Moonlight Drive". Great lyric. Great mood. A happy rollic.

"Strange Days"
Strange days have found us
And through their strange hours
We linger alone,
bodies confused,
Memories misused,
As we run from the day
To a strange night of stone.

Another dark lyric. Very moody. Maybe some just don't enjoy it.

"People Are Strange"
"People are strange when you're a stranger.
Faces look ugly when you're alone.
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted.
Streets are uneven when you're down.
When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name
When you're strange...."

Probably more autobiographical material. Relating to the kid who just moved into town. The new guy that doesn't feel welcome. Is it not true?

I guess I'm just contrary on this one. I feel "Strange Days' surpasses the first album. but that is just m2c.

-Steve