The Devil is in the Cartridge Setup (and a good phone pre)...

I had a freak out moment--or shall I say 2 days because that's how long it went on. 

I've been on these forums posting various things, noting my vinyl bested my digital and that's why I'm looking to figure out how to up my digital front end.  Well, my vinyl end became harsher, dirtier and grainier.  That's the best that I can do. 

No wait....I can say this.  I listen to tons of stuff and I use Norah Jones albums as a reference.  I know she should sound sweet, centered and pure.  I was tube rolling, re-positioning speakers and not able to roll things back. 

I recently "upgraded" two dirt cheap Texas Instruments op amps in my Manley Chinook to Burr Brown models, which had way better specs.  Could it be that BB op amps weren't doing the trick and causing the dry, dirty vinyl? 

After several days, I went back through my cartridge alignment and settings.  What I found was all was fine and dandy on positioning due to using a Feickert protractor, BUT I recently pumped up the tracking force to the upper limit, 2.0 grams, for the cart (AudioTechnica ART9).  I moved it back down to the minimal setting, 1.6 grams.  All is good. 

Maybe the cart's suspension wears over time and less force or weight is needed. I don't know.  

Phew.  I'm back in vinyl nirvana.  I was wondering if I needed different gear, meds, etc. to get back to where I once was happy.  

PS  And yes, the op amp "upgrade" made less difference than just setting my cart to where it sounds best. 
128x128jbhiller
Yes the subject is about cartridge setup and how important it can be. My mistake and forgetfulness had almost had me going into upgrade land—when all was fine. Phew!
Dear @jbhiller : """  the op amp "upgrade" made less difference... " and perhaps not a true difference for the better. From some years now BB is prt of TI whom bougth it.

nyway, good that you come back to the vinyl fun.
R.

Talk and more talk. Mods always reduce resale value unless performed by the manufacturer. I would never buy a piece that I knew was modded by an end user, even if returned to stock. Time and time again arguments are made for doing this, and it’s fine as long as the user appreciates the work they’ve done on it.
But in the market, it’s a fool's errand.

Most of us are in this for the music, not trying to anticipate a market value.   I find your point of view ridiculous considering the opamp ia a plug in device and the OP can at anytime put it back to the ultimate and perfect OEM condition. 
I see this happening more and more often in this forum.  It's getting more and more petty, and the personal attacks are getting out of hand.  OP came in to share his experience, which I found interesting.  I'd like to hear more about the changes due to the OpAmp in the Chinook.  We all make mistakes... kudos to the OP for being man enough to share his mistake.

And, I'd like to hear far FAR less of people calling each other fools (or much worse that I've seen), even if it's prefaced with "all due respect".  Frankly, any time you start with "all due respect", you are about to be disrespectful and you know it.

These kinds of trolls are making the forum less and less fun for me.  Can't we just get back to sharing experiences and stop verbally assaulting one another? Every thread seems to devolve into this kind of drivel after 5 to 10 posts.  Look at the archives, and it wasn't this way in the past.
JBHiller.....her first couple of record albums are good....the last are pretty bad. I think that her producer was after a new sound..(junky) Can hardly understand the lyrics. Her producer was Danger Mouse (I heard they’re an item)....I point the finger to him