The big DAC decision

One of the challenges of building an audio system is trying to make sure that all of the individual components of that system have equivalent and compatible technical specifications. For example, it doesn’t make sense to purchase speakers that are capable of producing sound in the 5Hz to 20kHz range if your amp is only capable of sending audio signals in the 30Hz to 15kHz range to these speakers. Unless, of course, you hope to upgrade your audio system such that it can properly drive these speakers someday.

In my desire to build an audio system that has the proper balance of individual component capabilities I’ve found myself struggling over the choice of a DAC. Basic technical specifications aren’t necessarily applicable here. The foundation of my system is a Woo Audio WA-33 headphone amp and Focal Utopia headphones. My music files consist of standard CD 16bit/44kHz resolution to Hi-Res DSD files. What I’m struggling with is choosing a DAC that would allow me to get the most out of this amp and headphone pairing. From the research I’ve done so far it is clear that the $23k Meridian Audio Ultra DAC would bring out the best of any system it is connected to. But does it make sense to purchase a DAC of this quality (and price) for my humble headphone system? Or would it be more appropriate to get the Chord DAVE (setting the MQA format compatibility issue aside for this discussion)? I’m currently using an Oppo 105D as my DAC and the music sounds pretty decent, but I know my system can sound better.

So I was hoping to get some input from fellow audio enthusiasts out there to make what may be the most important decision of my system build. I’m also looking at getting a PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 12 to power this system. Anyone out there have any suggestions or thoughts on this issue?

slvrsrfr
Imho MQA is a gimmick. I know that Vitus Audio have no immediate plans to support MQA. And i'm not in any rush to buy a new dac to jump on board.
Some great comments to consider!

I really have tried to do my homework for this decision.  But as some of you have already pointed out, there are several different technologies that have to be considered.  Then you have to consider that the DAC may come with a built-in headphone amp and/or pre-amp of its own.

I ended up choosing the Lumin X1 because it is basically a chip based DAC.  The R2R ladder approach, for example, from what I’ve read, requires very precise and balanced sets of resistors.  It may just be a misunderstanding on my part, but I’m not all that confident in the resistors maintaining their required performance characteristics over time.

There are other DAC design philosophies, and I’m not going to try to summarize all of them here, but it just seemed that the Lumin design takes a more “tried and true” approach, as opposed to the still evolving FPGA method mentioned by rbstehno earlier (I’m not sure that I want my firmware upgraded every 6 months). In addition, a positive, for me anyway, is that it’s not encumbered with any redundant amps.  Another selling point for me is that the Lumin X1 is also a server.  Which means I don’t have to buy another computer to act as a front end.  An added bonus is that I won’t lose my Audirvana playlists in the event I update the computer’s OS.

Last, but not least, I read nothing but accolades for the Lumin S1.  And the the new X1 is expected to be an appreciable improvement to the already impressive S1 performance characteristics.  

In the end, however, it simply comes down to what sounds good to you and/or what you’re willing to live with.  For me, I’ve come to expect from myself that I will always be looking to move up to something better.  As a result, I tend to go straight to the high end these days to avoid the wasted time and expense of getting there incrementally.

SlvrSrfr
I can’t speak to the Lumin DACs, but their iOS app is outstanding. After trying out several DNLA control points for iOS along with Sonos, the Lumin app easily takes 1st prize (I use it to control a Rasoberry Pi based server running Volumio, which is compatible with the LUMIN app).

Incidentally, Hegel makes some wonderful DACs as well (the HD25 is at your price point)
COS H1 headphone DAC/AMP
I have tried several (more expensive) solutions to drive my HifiMan 1000, the COS is the best of all. 
"Moving from PS Audio Directstream DAC to Lampizator Golden Gate Balanced, I think you should at least audition any Lampi DAC. They sound amazing. :) "

In Poland Lampizator is subject to total criticism by audiophiles.
It is mainly about the unsightly performance of the first models at the beginning of the company's operation.
And above all, jealous that someone has succeeded. It is such an ugly Polish feature.