The best separates between $2500-3000. Moving on from the original Rogue Sphinx Intg..

I have decided  NOT to upgrade the original  Rogue Sphinx integrated amp to its new version.  Therefore, I would humbly ask for recommendations for  the best separates in the $2500-3000 range. I would prefer the same brand pre-amp and power amp, but will consider mixed brands.

My requirements are basic: at least 150-175 RMS; a simple "quality" remote with a mute switch and smoothly calibrated volume control.  Pre-amp Out ( optional) feature;.  A good headphone stage;  A good to VG phono stage, BUT  CAN forego in favor of a good  phono box.. .

I DON'T WANT OR NEED:  an onboard DAC for streaming audio files  ; processor loops, or subwoofer inputs and outputs HT inputs and outputs;  class D amp

Because of the plethora of new pre-amps with the features I don't want, I might consider older "quality" pre-amps without the bells and whistles. However, I AM NOT interested in  so called   "upgraded" vintage  or refurbished" crap from 20-30 years ago. I recently got burned on a refurbished and marginally upgraded turntable. My mistake.  Thank you for your advice 

sunnyjim
Hi , I purchased a Rogue RP-1. I removed the JJ 12AU7's (crap), and picked up NOS Mullard, RCA black plates and Telefunken Tecktronix . The Telle's are great and for the price the RCA's are nice . The headphone out is not tube , but it  is nice with quality headphones . I'm running a low powered SET, but am considering a Bryston 4BSST2, or the new one . I will have to run unbalanced , as the RP-1 , only comes that way . I have played with a Modwright KWI 200 and a Bryston . They are both high for your budget . The Bryston would make your Maggie's sing . The Rogue is mm/mc compatible too . Happy listening , Mike.
The Pharaoh sounds much better than the Sphinx.  I could not tolerate the edge to the Sphinx sound.  
The Pharaoh has gobs of power and just does not stop.  The bass drive and control is extreme.  
You can find very good deals on Exposure amps, 2010S2, but your looking for more power so I will suggest the 3010S3, class A preamps and mono blocks or dual channel power amps to back them up. No frills, nothing but the music. I wont say you will have to spend a lot to better them. That may or may not be true. Try to better them first. Thats where the answer will be found.  
  ((( My current speakers are Golden Ear Technology 7's, but I am considering for the future, the new Magneplanar .7. which some members claim sound better than the Maggie 1.7r)))
 I would suggest you try to listen with your Sphinx with the Magnepan .7
We have both new and prior Rogue Sphinx units working nicely with the .7s with Cardas.
Best
 JohnnyR

Dehavilland Ultraverve 3 Preamp. $2500 to $3000.......you cant go wrong with this well built and great sounding tube pre. Big tone, strong bass and well detailed.
I used to own the Sphinx v.1 as well. I thought it was just ok. I liked the pre section a lot more than the power section. 
Found a 3 year old Odyssey Stratos Extreme off ebay for $800 and a used Jolida Fusion preamp for another $800. To put it politely to me it made the Sphinx sound small lifeless and weak. Awesome combo to my ears. I also own an integrated 100wx2 tube amp using KT120 tubes. Although it has it's own set of virtues I would take the Jolida/ Odyssey combo overall any day of the week. It's smooth, fast, tonally accurate "IMO", and slams hard with no fatigue.
Try to find the following Audio Refinement (designed by YBA) separates used:

- Audio Refinement Pre5 (great imaging, warmish sound and a lot of inputs plus remote)
- Audio Refinement Multi 2, 3 or 5 (125 wpc 8 ohms / 200 wpc 4 ohms and matches very well with the Pre5)

Very musical combo that I use today and beat out a Rogue Cronus Magnum.
P.S: Regarding "if I connect a separate power amp to line 3 which is a variable output ...," this still strikes me as incorrect, as well as being in conflict with statements in the manual. As can be seen in the rear panel photo I linked to earlier, line 3 is clearly marked as being an input, not an output. The variable line-level output corresponds to the pair of jacks labelled "Output - Var." Or at least it **should** correspond to those jacks, unless someone made a completely dumb mistake in the design, which I doubt, or if your unit is somehow different than what is shown in the photo and described in the manual.

Best regards,
-- Al

Hi Jim,

As you may be aware op amps ("operational amplifiers") are solid state integrated circuit devices that are often looked upon with disdain by audiophiles. In part because op amp-based implementations tend to be less costly than other approaches. That disdain is justified in many cases, but certainly not always IMO. As is usual in audio, it comes down to the quality of the particular device and the particular design. As well as to the resolving power of the rest of the system.
I was also informed by the Rogue tech that the sound may not be quite as good through the op-amp device, but he also claimed the op-amp is a very good device.
In the absence of a basis upon which to "calibrate" this statement, my guess is that it would still be a reasonable plan to initially upgrade to a separate power amp, and consider a preamp upgrade at a later time. But obviously that’s just my guess, FWIW.

The 10K minimum load recommendation, btw, is very reasonable, and most amps will meet that requirement.

Best regards,
-- Al

I would not care to bypass a tube based line stage with an OP one. Seems to me you would have paid for much you are not using by using the Sphinx as a pre.

To Almarg and others, I missed your e-mails about the NuPrime ST-10 amp and actually responded, but it was not posted. Something must be screwed up with AG's thread and posting system

To Almarg, I got an a definite answer from Rogue HQ today about the Sphinx integrated variable output line, they call a "pre-out".  If I connect  a separate power amp to line 3 which is a variable output, the amp must have a input impedance of 10,000 ohms or more. The reason is this: the front panel function DO NOT go through the two tubed output stage of the Sphinx pre-amp, but through a special op-amp that allows the use of the volume and balance control, and also the phono input and CD input. The phono has it own line marked phono, so lines 1 and 2 are available for a CD player or tuner which I have

I was also informed by the Rogue tech that the sound may not be quite as good through the op-amp device,, but he also claimed the op-amp is a very good device. I am not sure what that means because I know nothing about op-amps, their function, or their quality rating.  However it is worth taking a shot at it whatever amp I decide.  The Odyssey Stratos Plus is high on the list..

However, if the sound is equal  to what I have, or only marginally better, or worse, inferior to what I have, I will then hunt for a new pre-amp.  BTW, about a year ago, I replaced the two stock tubes in the Sphinx output stage with Mullard CV4003 tubes. This was based on the recommendation by a member who also had a Rogue Sphinx.  The purpose was reduce some of the edge and bright tinge that is part of the sound because of Hypex Class D amp. It worked, but did not reduce all of the edginess or glare.  

Al, or others, your thoughts and comments on the op-amp use in the Rogue Sphinx  will be appreciated. 

Also, a member has a BAT VK-250 SS amp for sale. He mentioned also that he used it with BAT VK-31 pre-amp, and it was the best combo to date, even though he replaced both with ARC Reference separates Both were issued in 2006 when he bought them, and he kept them for 10 years.  The review on VK-250 in TAS in Nov. 2008 was politely neutral about its sound quality; I did not find any other reviews so far. I will be googling up reviews on BAT VK-31 pre-amp soon I don't know depending the pre-amp feature if the combo is worth the money, and he is going to have to come up with a very sharp quote far under $3000. to get me motivated.   Thanks again, Jim   .

Jim, again touch base with Klaus, he may be able to modify the Candela with a phono input. Gosh I'm getting old can't recall whether the Candela offers that as an option. Regards, Dave

Jim, again touch base with Klaus, he may be able to modify the Candela with a phono input. Regards, Dave

To Dave, Thank you for the heads about about the Odyssey Candela pre-amp, I will check the Odyssey website.  I do need  a VG phono amp equal to or better than the one that is in Rogue Sphinx hybrid integrated.  I could always, but prefer not to buy a standard headphone box by project or another brand.  The Bellari VP 130 is a consideration, but I have an intuition that in operation is not as good as claimed and susceptible to hum because it s one tube output stage.  Thanks for the info,  Jim
Sorry, I missed your most recent responses.  Either Audiogon  screwed up, or I lapsing into senility.   BTW,   There seems to be an occasional short delay before the  response is posted. Thanks again, and disregard  my last response.

What about the new NuPrime ST-10 digital amp??   NuPrime bought out NuForce's, and totally  redesigned their line of electronics. The one review I read in TAS about the power amp ST-10 was very strong regarding its performance. 

However, is this just another variation of class D amplification,  possibly escaping the class D house sound... that is, bright and edgy??. I don't want to pay $1595  to find out.  Thank you, Jim

Hi Jim, several people have mentioned Odyssey amps and I have to agree about the quality build and sound. I have owned an odyssey candela pre-amp + Stratos amp combo for several years now.  I,m assuming a similar set up used would be in the ballpark of $1,800 on the higher side. It does not accommodate a headphone jack but does have a remote that meets your requirements. A phone call to Klaus may be insightful. At 8 ohm is 150 watts but not sure at 4 ohm's. Having driven Snell floorstanders as well as 4 ohm GMA Europa monitors I've had no issues. Slightly to warm side of neutral but musical and detailed at least to me. The Candela responds to nos tubes nicely which makes tube rolling enjoyable. Hopefully this is a bit helpful. Thanks, Dave
Does the NuPrime ST-10 digital amp (150 RMS) qualify as a Class D amp, or a variant of Class D??
It is apparently a proprietary variant of class D.

The mention in its description of a 600 kHz switching frequency, 85% output stage efficiency, and its power-to-weight ratio (150 watts per channel, weight of about 13 pounds) all point to class D or something similar.

And this, from the TAS review that is linked to at the NuPrime site:

Although the ST-10 is a “digital” power amplifier, it is not a standard Class D switching amplifier. According to NuPrime’s owner’s manual, “Instead of the conventional sawtooth configuration, NuPrime’s patented circuit design uses an analog-modulating signal that adds neither noise nor jitter. Rather than reverting to off-the-shelf solutions, NuPrime’s in-house advances have further unlocked the switching amp’s potential without the difficulties pure digital-switching amplifiers simply cannot avoid.” The cliché that should follow would be, of course, “Not your father’s Class D amplifier.”
If you look at the first figure in this Wikipedia writeup on class D amplifiers, I would speculate based on this comment that the "triangular wave generator" shown in the figure is probably replaced in the NuPrime design by some sort of signal having less abrupt transitions between its positive-going and negative-going segments. Otherwise I’d imagine that at a conceptual level the design is generally similar to what is shown in the figure.

BTW, despite the reviewer’s reference to the ST-10 as a digital power amplifier, and despite popular misconception, class D amplifiers and similar variants are not digital amplifiers. As stated in the Wikipedia writeup:
The term "class D" is sometimes misunderstood as meaning a "digital" amplifier. While some class-D amps may indeed be controlled by digital circuits or include digital signal processing devices, the power stage deals with voltage and current as a function of non-quantized time. The smallest amount of noise, timing uncertainty, voltage ripple or any other non-ideality immediately results in an irreversible change of the output signal. The same errors in a digital system will only lead to incorrect results when they become so large that a signal representing a digit is distorted beyond recognition. Up to that point, non-idealities have no impact on the transmitted signal. Generally, digital signals are quantized in both amplitude and wavelength, while analog signals are quantized in one (e.g. PWM) or (usually) neither quantity.
Basically, class D is an analog process.

Regards,
-- Al

I thought Nuprime was started by the founder of Nuforce, to devote to higher end products and that he bought out his own designs, and that Nuforce still exists.

Does the NuPrime ST-10 digital amp (150 RMS) qualify as a Class D amp, or a variant of Class D?? 

NuPrime bought out the former NuForce company, and redesigned the entire line of components.  Some units have received  good  to VG reviews, the ST-10 amp in particular.  However, it is  a new company who knows where it will in 5 years.   Thanks, Jim 

He indicated that the variable input ( pre-out) was used to connect a second amp or subwoofer.
That would be "variable output," of course, not "variable input."

Also, I found that the AVA amp which I mentioned has been highly praised by member Schubert is the Synergy 450, which I see lists at $1999.  He posted the following comments in this thread which you had originated about 3 years ago:

Schubert 4-10-2013:
I bought myself a new AVA Synergy 450 for XMAS, it much outclassed the Odyssey amp I was using, very dynamic and enables me to hear every line in the Symphonic music I primarily listen to. My biggest complaint is cheap plastic speaker terminals placed in tight space pretty much limits you to banana plugs....

Schubert 12-31-2014:
I have had a Synergy 450 for 2 years, first time in 40 years I haven't been looking for a different amp.  Sounds like a high-quality 100 watt tube amp using NOS output tubes better than any currently available.  Easily betters the Hafler, Odyssey, Belles, McCormack and Quad amps I used before.

Best regards,
--Al

Al. Thank you for the response. The link you sent clearly show the back of Sphinx original integrated. I received an e-mail back from a Rogue tech named, Nick, who basically  reproduced the bullet points I sent you. He indicated that  the variable input ( pre-out) was used to connect a second amp or subwoofer. 

I emailed back to clarify and confirm whether that connection will "bypass" the Sphinx internal amp, and most importantly ,also allow the pre-amp controls to function with the outboarded amp in place.

Maybe, I am just dense, but I need to confirm the use of the all the pre-amp functions  when used with the outboarded amp.

BTW,  the Ayre V5xe is too expensive for me at $2900. I have not inquired if the seller would accept a lower offer, though only 6 days remain on his ad. But, I appreciate the heads up.

The information that the ARC 100.2 not being a variation of class D amp design is good news. That may account for the rave reviews it received in  a few mags, and customer testimonials. Though, you point about its an age and possible diminished sound quality is a viable concern

Lastly, there was a review in Tone magazine of Van Alstine's FET Value CF Vacuum Tube Pre-amp Line stage ($1899)  by one of its staff writers. The review praised it build quality and its overall sound quality, but there was some hesitation on the writer to crown it the best pre-amp in the under $2000 range. He did highly praise the built in phono as a steal at $249 ( as noted, there is a MM/MC stage for $329, both are optional). 

Jeff Dorgay offerd some follow up comments and felt some of the criticisms of the pre-amp's restricted soundstage was system or amp related  His experience with the unit was a big soundstage with either AVA own amp, or PASS Labs, ARC, Simaudio, etc. 

Thanks again to all who have offered comments. 

Post removed 
Post removed 
FWIW I would hesitate to replace a newer amp based on switching technology (Class D) with any older ones.
I agree completely.  To be sure it's clear to everyone, though, the ARC 100.2 (which was introduced in 1998) is not a class D or other switching design.  As I mentioned earlier, though, the ARC 150.2 that was also being considered, which was introduced in 2003 and discontinued in 2006, is a "class T" design, that being a proprietary variant of class D.

Best regards,
-- Al

FWIW I would hesitate to replace a newer amp based on switching technology (Class D) with any older ones.

The technology has improved immensely in general in recent years and has not yet peaked in terms of bandwidth possible.

I heard a current ARC SS switching amp model about a year or two back at Lyric in NYC.   The speaker pairing was not quite my cup of tea, but I thought the sound to be quite good nonetheless and it to have a lot of potential finely tuned together with a wide variety of speakers.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the nice words. Regarding:
I shot off an e-mail today to specifically to Mark O’Brien about whether any of the inputs numbered 1, 2, 3, can be used as true pre-amp out.
I’ve been assuming that the rear panel of your Sphinx looks like the following, which is how it is described in the manual and is how it appears in numerous other rear panel photos I’ve seen:

http://rogueaudio.com/Images/sphinxrearlrg.jpg

It would be the "Output Var" jacks that would be used to connect to an external power amp, assuming those are present on your version of the Sphinx. I would definitely not expect inputs 1, 2, or 3 to be suitable for that purpose.

Regarding the weight of the Ayre V-5xe, while the ad I linked to indicates 75 pounds, apparently for its shipping weight, both the manual and the description at the Ayre website indicate that the amp weighs 55 pounds.
I would think that the magic of good sound would lie first in the pre-amp, not necessarily the power amp, unless it grossly under powered. Though, from my limited understanding of power amps having owned a few, power high current, low noise and especially low THD and IMD are the requirements to make a qualitative jump in sound quality.
First, I would ignore THD and IMD specs in just about all cases, as they have little if any correlation with sound quality. Although I would be cautious about a power amp having THD numbers that are extremely "good," as that may be indicative of heavy-handed application of feedback in the design. Which in turn can result in excessive Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM), which is not normally specified, as well as excessive amounts of the specific components of harmonic distortion that are most objectionable (even though the TOTAL harmonic distortion may be very small).

Second, I am not a believer in generalities about the relative importance of preamps and power amps. It depends on the specific case, IMO. And in the case of a modestly priced integrated amp employing a tube-based line stage and a class D solid state power stage, my instinct is that it is more likely than not to be the power stage that is the sonic weak link.

Regarding the ARC 100.2, my biggest concern would have been the possibility that due to its age it would no longer sound as good as it once did, and/or that it would develop age-related problems in the not too distant future.

Finally, I have no particular knowlege of AVA products, but you may want to seek out posts on one of their products that have been made here by member "Schubert," who owns and has raved about one of them (I don’t recall which). I have particular respect for his sonic judgments.  To add a bit of context to that, btw, I'll mention that as in my case most of his listening is to classical music.

Good luck. Best regards,
-- Al

Al, Thank you again for your vast audio knowledge. I shot off an e-mail today to specifically to Mark O'Brien about whether any of the inputs numbered 1, 2, 3, can be used as true pre-amp out. 

I owned a Creek 5350SE Classic in 2007, and eventually used it as a pre-amp stage which is activated by pushing in a button and removing pre-amp shorting bar.  Simple   . If necessary, I will cut and paste your e-mail to answer the questions. you provided

BTW, I was somewhat surprised by your recommendation of the Ayre V5xe amp, and just because of the price It is also a monster weighing 75lbs. I would be in traction for months.  Nevertheless, I would think that the magic of good sound would lie first in the pre-amp, not necessarily the power amp, unless it grossly under powered. Though, from my limited understanding of power amps having owned a few, power  high current, low noise and especially low THD and IMD are the requirements to make a qualitative jump in sound quality. I saw a distinct demonstration of this in 1988 when I sold my APT Holman combo.  (The amp was kind of wimpy even at its alleged  rating 100RMS) to an Aragon 4004MK II, and a CJ PV-8.  Though the true proof would have been to listen to Aragon amp through Holman pre-amp. Nevertheless the Aragon was superior almost across the board, though a bit on the bright side, even through the tubed CJ PV-8. I will let you know what Mark O'Brien reports.

BTW, do you know, or have auditioned, or owned, one of the Van Alstine. The CL Ultra Vaccum tube pre-amp line stage which supposedly is their best  at $1899 (add 627 to that number for a remote and VA's MM/MC phonostage.)  There are two other less expensive pre-amp line stages SL Vision, and EC full vaccum tube pre-amp. Both are $899 plus $627  for remote and phono. (Frank claims the second one is a bit more"engaging")  

Yes, both are doable, but  the top dog VA pre-amp costing $1000 more might be the better and wiser choice.  If so, a used Khartago Plus amp, or used Stratos Plus might be the best "budget" choice I can make amp at this time, though I wish the Khartago has more power.

BTW, the seller on e-bay sold the ARC 100.2 for $1425 from his starting price of $1750. This as I mentioned was supposedly  the best ARC SS amp   It did get convincing reviews.   Thanks again. I will keep you posted.  

Hi Jim,

Before I submitted my previous post I had looked at a rear panel photo of the Sphinx, as well as at the manual, and subsequent to your response I did some further Googling on the question of driving a power amp from the Sphinx’s variable line-level outputs. I had also noted that the input impedance of the Ayre V-5xe is a very easy to drive 100K. And the Ayre’s sensitivity (the input voltage required to drive it to full power) can be calculated from its power rating and its specified 26 db gain to be approximately 1.7 volts, which seems reasonable.

The bottom line is that it seems to me to be very unlikely that what I proposed would not be a suitable approach. But when you speak to Mark at Rogue you might ask him the following:

1)Are we correct in assuming that the variable line-level outputs on your version of the Sphinx are functional, e.g., that the RCA jacks are not internally connected to nothing?

2)How much gain is there between the phono inputs and those outputs?

3)How much gain is there between the line-level inputs and those outputs?

4)Would running the Sphinx with nothing connected to its speaker-level outputs have any adverse sonic effects on the variable line-level outputs?

5)Would running the Sphinx with nothing connected to its speaker-level outputs pose any threat of damage?

It seems slightly conceivable to me, although unlikely, that question 2 could turn out to be an issue, in terms of having enough gain to be able to drive the external amp to full power when using a phono source. I would be very surprised, though, and it would not speak well of the design, if the answers to any of the other questions conflicted with my suggestion.

Best regards,
-- Al

Jim thanks.

FWIW the demo I had with Sphinx and Pharoah about a year ago was with larger newer Maggies, don’t recall which exactly. The Maggies were singing quite well with either but particularly with larger Pharoah. I did not get to compare with ARC and Rogue tube amp separates there but my dealer indicated Pharoah was his favorite. He also had comparable Sonus Faber for demo that I did not get to hear.

I owned older Maggies for many years. They are not efficient and thrived off good quality higher power amps, tube or SS, but not necessarily high current.

I have heard but am not a Goldenear Triton fan to-date but would think the Sphinx would do pretty well with those. Goldenear Aon monitors I liked a lot, though smaller.

If you are planning a move to Maggies in any case, might be worth trying the Sphinx with those first just to see.

Jim,
At your budget, I realise that many integrateds and also separates would be a horizontal move. I was thinking of a much higher-end integrated than the Sphinx which would sell for about $3K+ used.

For example, Plinius...
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-plinius-hautonga-integrated-amp-2016-06-22-integrateds...

To Lowrider:  A very interesting suggestion, assuming there are integrated amps that either provide  sound quality equal to separates or  offer superior sound to them. 

I have done some research before I launched the current thread about separates. I rejected or bypassed IA that were either just slightly above  average based  on my $2500-$3000 budget range, or more money like $3000-$4000.  So far, I can up with new the Roksan Kandy 3 integrated  amp which has a remote and an MM phono stage ( no  official report on its quality) and no phono input on phono stage.  It is a 150RMS, was greatly like by the blog HI-FI News and the shaky  "Audioreview."  It retails for $2700.  

One drawback it has a "Bluetooth" feature which I don't need or want ( channel the money into a better phono or a headphone) feature. Nevertheless there are 2 audio dealer in Los Angeles county. Both  offer about 10% discount, but the killer is the 8 or 9%  California state sales tax  There is dealer in Colorado, but I think he will not sell into a area that has other Roksan dealer which he carries, so I can sale some coin on tax..

All, I know about this company is that it is English, the new K-3 is supposedly superior than it the previous K-2. Roksan is not a household word throughout the industry to my knowledge, but still considered high end(?). Overall, despite the RMS power of 150, it may sound only marginal better than the Sphinx v.1 or maybe not as good. One review did note some edginess at higher volumes.  So there it is; However, there may be a better integrated out there in my price range.  I know the Vincent equipment has been recommended on and off by members. But the reviews never were convincing to me, and I don't to get on  home trial merry go round.

To Mapman, My current speakers are Golden Ear Technology 7's, but I am considering for the future, the new Magneplanar .7. which some members claim sound better than the Maggie 1.7r

Thanks for your recommendations. 

To Almarg,  A very worthy suggestion. However, the Sphinx v.1  i was informed  by  the Rogue Director of Sales has no pre-amp out for a outboarded basic power( seems incredible)  HOWEVER, I DECIDED TO   CHECK THE MANUAL WHICH SAYS IN BULLET POINTS:

"LINE 3:

Variable outputs( for a subwoofer  OR second amplifier)

Fixed  outputs ( for a headphone amp or for recording)" 

What follow on the same page is instruction for connecting up a "turntable
Connecting headphones

Connecting the Sphinx to a power outlet

Connecting a subwoofer to the Sphinx

However on the same page it does not mention anything aV5ebout connect a SEPARATE POWER AMP

BTW, there is loose insert page titled "Sphinx Quick Setup FAQ"

Bullet point # 6 states: Line 1, 2, 3, are for line level inputs such as a DAC, tuner, CD player, or outboard phono section"

Again, no mention of a outboarded basic power amp.

I considered your suggestion about using a separate power amp to beef up the power output but also provide much better sound quality. I e-mailed Rogue, and spoke to I believe the Sales Manager, NOT  Mark O'Brien who is the CEO and head product designer of the company. The gentleman I mentioned e-mailed claimed he checked  with technical support, and the claimed there was no pre-amp output.  At the time, it was not a top priority, but it seems he was mistaken. Let me know your thought on what I provided from the manual. Tomorrow,  I will. call Rogue and get Mark O'Brien on the phone and ask him about whether v.1 has a pre-amp.

Regarding the Ayre V5xe power amp. I think that is a bit steep in price, and wonder if I could possibly buy something as good or equal to this amp for less money. I know Ayre products are high quality and built a tank, because I own an fully upgrade Ayre CX7e mp CD player which is outstanding. Nevertheless, you point is well taken. about "possibly" using the Sphinx v.1 for a pre-amp only  From what I read the new version Sphinx v.2 despite its upgrades may lack a pre-amp out.  let me your thoughts.   I will keep you (and others posted)   Cheers.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comprehensive response, and the additional background. In addition to the suggestions the others have offered, if I were in your shoes, those shoes including the possibility of eventually replacing your GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers with a pair of Maggies, what I would consider doing is purchasing something like this Ayre V-5xe power amp, which is presently being offered here at $2900, apparently having cost $5950 originally. I would initially drive it with the preamp section of your Sphinx, and at a later time, if and when you feel the urge and finances allow, address the possibility of a preamp upgrade.

The V-5xe is rated at 150W into 8 ohms, and would double that to 300W into the 4 ohm impedance of a Maggie.

From Stereophile’s "Recommended Components 2012," in which this amp was rated "Class A," along with several other solid state amps costing up to $106K:

The compact, beautifully built V-5xe delivers 150Wpc into 8 ohms and features single-ended and balanced inputs and speaker-wire terminals made by Cardas. Though it lacked some power in the bass and sacrificed “a little of that you-are-there-ness” produced by the best single-ended-triode amps, the V-5xe offered a highly resolving, dynamic, harmonically pleasing sound that was never fatiguing. “Open, airy, and sweet,” said ST. “What more do you want?” (Vol.29 No.5)
My feeling is that pursuing a path such as that is likely to provide you with a more meaningful sonic upgrade at this time than investing a similar amount of money in at least most comparably powerful integrateds or preamp/power amp combos. While also being sufficiently powerful and of sufficient calibre sonically to be future-proof with respect to whatever speaker upgrade and/or preamp upgrade you may eventually choose to do.

I have no affiliation with or knowledge of the seller.

Good luck. Best regards,
-- Al

Sunny did you mention what the speakers are that will be used?

I think the Rogue Pharoah is the bomb for its asking price. 

My local dealer who sells a plethora of amps and separates from ARC Rogue and others considered it his favorite and I was impressed enough at audition to think I could live with it in lieu of separates if I had to.

But only with the right speakers and overall system synergy.  

Highly damped Class D amps work well with most any speakers but can tend to sound thin to some people with smaller speakers not really up to the task of full range flat extended bass.

My high power  Class D amps are the bomb with my larger speakers that fit that bill but can be hit or miss depending on what one seeks with smaller more limited range speakers like many smaller monitors.

They never sound "bad" just not up to their potential when the speakers are a bottleneck.

Thanks.
OK, so without droning over my audio history, let me say that it may be time to suspend this quest for separates, because I am getting opinions from every side and many often cancel out each other related to equipment,  I may have expressed a growing interest . But that is OK, because I don't want to shell out  $2500 for components used or new or a combo of both to find out that the sound even after burn-in is only marginally better.
  Jim, I've followed your threads regarding the Sphinx ver.1, and I feel that your conclusion to replace it is correct. Maybe Rogue isn't the amp for you, or maybe it's been the growing pains of having their first generation, entry-level Class D hybrid.
  Having said that, rather than moving into the sometimes complex world of separates, I suggest replacing the Sphinx with a Class AB or A/AB integrated. We're at a time in HiFi that integrated amps are so well designed and sonics have progressed to the point that an integrated can compete with separates.

Brands like Pass, Plinius, McIntosh, VAC, PrimaLuna...I guess I'm saying all the manufacturers are making integrateds which are not considered inferior to separates.

Schussor, Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your time and comments. The Rogue Pharoah does have many of the features I require, and more power. However, i question whether it will sound much better than my Rogue current Rogue Sphinx v1  and especially the upgraded version Sphinx v.2. ( cost of upgrades and shipping is about $500)  Nevertheless, I cannot afford to purchase it new at $3800, but in time a used one may come up on Audiogon in the $2500-2800  price range.

BTW, if you have the time, read my response to Almarg above my response to you, It offers a good overview of where I am at in this quest for separates, and the components I have considered. If you have  any knowledge of the CJ pre-amp line stages, or the Quicksilver I cited, please let me know  Thanks, Jim  .

To Almargm  Thank you for your advice, but you need not apologize for a " "negative post"  You are usually right.  I feared that  the ARC 150.2 and 300.2 were just  spin offs of another class D version. I mentioned in other threads in the past that I owned the RED DRAGON M-500 mono blocks about 4 years. Il loved the way they looked and they had plenty of power. The pre-amp of those days was a BEL Canto Pre3 which is excellent with an outstanding remote control.  This combo was  hooked to  Acoustic Zen Adagios  Hardly a shabby system!!  However in less than one hear, I began to hear or discern  bright and edgy sound. They were not defective, and I had taken great care in making  sure that pre/ power amp  out impedances were compatible So, I decide to downsize , and bought the Rogue Sphinx v.1, but later and reluctantly sold the Adagios because of their weight, and difficulty in moving them around

. I proceeded to buy the Golden Ear Technology 7's which were the rave of CES 2012. They sound very good, and about I year later bought a pair of  Wharfdale 80th  Anniversary Denton speakers a smallish bookshelf to play around with. . They are colossal and amazing speakers and actually sound better that is, more natural than GET 7's  They also are comfortable with the Sphinx integrated. Just yesterday, while listen to them, I thought why not just stick with this sound and save the money because how much better are the Dentons, or GET' 7's going to sound with approx. $2500-$3000  worth of separates . BTW, about a year ago I changed the Sphinx two output tubes to Mullards 4003CV's on recommendation by another member who claimed the Mullards took most of the edge off of Rogue's  Hypex Class D amp.  It did but not totally.

I feel like I am chasing my tale. on this new quest. The question is not "What am I trying to improve. in the sound??  I don't think many audiophiles are not trying  to improve one aspect of  their system's sound in particular, as much as looking for sound that is either "just right" for them or just sounds right.  In terms of speakers the Denton deliver this quality in spades.

You and comrade Schussor who response follows yours, and many other  members have far more knowledge of high end than I do. In retrospect after over 41 years involved in audio, I have concluded that I was just a dabbler, that is, not committed to spending more money or big bucks to get what I wanted, except for my second high end system which I bought at 50 % because I worked  part-time in an high- end audio shop the from 1987 to 1991.  I bought $5600 system for about $ 2500 including speaker cable and interconnects..

OK, so without droning over my audio history, let me say that it may be time to suspend this quest for separates, because I am getting opinions from every side and many often cancel out each other related to equipment,  I may have expressed a growing interest .  But that is OK, because I don't want to shell out  $2500  for components used or new or a combo of both to find out that the sound even after burn-in is only marginally better.  

At the same time the speakers, I currently own are not the  of magnitude of Wilsons or upper tier Focal, Nola,, Magneplanar, etc.. Also, what I have in speakers may not really demonstrate the quality of the pre-amp and amp I choose.. 

To date the amp situation, the ARC 150.2 was sold on ebay. So that is out, and the seller of  ARC 100.2  will not budge on his $1550 offer. Despite its alleged cult status as the best SS amp ever made by ARC, I feed it is worth possibly $950-1100, and no more. It is only 100RMS, and may not drive Maggie .7  to their state of art performance should I go in that direction  this year. . I can not go for 1.7r's because they are too big for my listening room, and surprisingly a few members and owners claim the new  Maggie.point 7 sounds better.

Lastly, on the pre-amp scene , the Van Alstine SL Vision preamp and its  full vacuum tube brother are in the running ( both are $899, but I was informed by an anonymous audiogon member, that AVA $1899 pre-amp is the killer, and to avoid the other two which he heard at the AXPOXA  and they sounded awful.). . Keep in mind, that  $627  must be added to the retail price of all there pre-amp if your need the optional remote and MM/MC phono stage .  Two other pre-amp is the Conrad Johnson  pre-amp line stage which received a rave review by Sterophile's Larry Greenhill in December 2002 which makes the piece at least 14 years old. There is one for sale on AG, and the newer and current ET3 pre-amp line stage on ebay. 

However, there  are  many testimonials to the CJ 18LS which would require headphone amp and phono stage, both which I need   The last horse in the race is made by Quicksilver and called the "QuickSilver Remote Line stage"   Very good reviews on  the blog Audioreview, but they are old and short.   The unit requires both phono and headphone amps which  would jack up its resale price.for me     Cheers, Jim    .      .   

If Maggies are in your future the options become much more limited. You would need high current and high quality. Few amps have the power current and tubey signature you are looking for and which definitely would be a plus for driving a Magnepan speaker. The Parasound A21 and the later Sunfire amps are easy recommendations 
Keeping with Rogue. The Rogue Pharaoh and the tube Zeus (if you use subwoofers) or Apollo (usable without subs) though way out of your budget even used.  The Pharaoh is actually the best idea to meet all your requirements and be able to drive a maggie. 
Older Class A and high bias A/B amps from Classe (DR-9) Threshold, Levinson, and Haffler 9500 and XL600. May need to be recapped eventually.  
There are great classic tube preamps that can be modernized at reasonable cost to bring them to competing with the best of the current offerings in the $5k-10k range. Among my favorites Melos MA333 stack (any version - particularly the phono stage) and the SHA Gold particularly with Maestro or Reference upgrades. The Melos don't need an update. Bruce Moore designs from Audible Illusions Dual Mono, Saturn Uranus (less so the Modulus 3), the MFA Lumiinescense and Magus, and the Paragon. 
In the DIY range look for the Herran design - best executed with separate filament power supplies. 
Opportunities in the CAT CJ and ARC preamps are also worthwhile. 
The Chinese Doge 8 hybrid and the Ming Da MC7 and 
yaquin 12B (requires some mods to bring it to top notch performance but still impressive in stock form) Tube complement is very important for these preamps from China.

Oee thing about ARC, the new products don't sound much like the old one's.  I like the new one's a lot, but ARC die-hards probably feel the opposite. I find the new one's clean without sounding clinical like the old equipment.  I point this out in case you are looking to buy used. 

Parasound amps sound very neutral if a little warm. They don't have any colorations to call attention to themselves and drive most speakers well.  I had a pair of A23's for a while, which are heavily biased into class A (140 watts at idle) .  I liked them, but after getting ICEPower 250A modules, I decided I'd rather save the planet. I could not hear a significant difference between the two amplifiers. 

Best,

Erik 
Sunnyjim 6-21-2016 4:57 pm EDT
I have seen a used ARC 150.2 amp on ebay which is 150RMS. It looks clean but was, according to the seller was issued in 1993 which means it is 23 years old. It got mixed reviews, some loved it; some claim it is garbage. Seller wants $1400, but that is too much. I believe its market value may be $950 regardless of it ARC pedigree. It is either a tube or hybrid amp, and the seller claimed he upgraded two tubes.

Sunnyjim 6-25-2016 4:54 pm EDT
I am pretty much sold on either the ARC 100.2 or the ARC150.2. I like Odyssey amp products, but ARC always delivers high quality products. But this can change as I get closer to making a decision.
According to ARCDB.WS the 150.2 was introduced in 2003 and discontinued in 2006. And it appears that it does not contain any tubes, and certainly not in the power stage which is class-T.

Jim, I have no particular suggestions to offer in your price range, although over the years I’ve formed very favorable impressions of Odyssey products based on the comments I’ve seen. However I can’t help but express some skepticism about the ARC 100.2 and 150.2 (especially the class-T 150.2), regardless of the reviews and comments you have cited, and although I haven’t ever heard them.

According to ARCDB.WS the 100.2 was discontinued in 2003 (having been introduced in 1998), and the 150.2 was discontinued in 2006 as I indicated. The class-T architecture that is employed in the 150.2 (and also the 300.2) is a proprietary variant of class-D. As we all know, class-D has come a long way in the last decade or so, and your Sphinx is a much more recent design utilizing a class-D power stage. It’s perhaps also worth noting that the company which developed class-T went bankrupt in 2007. And the only high end company other than ARC that I am aware of which produced class-T amplifiers, Bel Canto Design, has not utilized that technology in many years as far as I am aware (although I could be wrong about that).

Also consider that ARC’s tradition of excellence, and presumably their area of greatest expertise, has primarily involved tube-based designs. And also consider the possibility of condition-related issues that might surface eventually if not sooner in a dozen or so year old amplifier.

Apologies for the uncharacteristically negative post, but personally I would be surprised if either of those amps would turn out to be a meaningful upgrade relative to your Sphinx.

Best regards,
-- Al

I believe the 300.2 is a more powerful version of the 150.2 but that the 100.2 is an entirely different amp.  I always liked the 100.2, never heard the other two

To Johnny R.   Thank you for recommendations:  I am pretty much sold on either the ARC 100.2 or the ARC150.2.  I like Odyssey amp products, but ARC always delivers high quality products. But this can change as I get closer to making a decision.

However,  a new spike has been added to this merry go round.. I investigated the Audio By Van Alstine recommended by a member on this thread, and again had set my mind on either FL Vision pre-amp, or the all vacuum tube pre-amp ( I forgot the model number). Both are 899.00, but remote and phono stage are optional and add $627 to the base price of the pre-amp. 

However I got an e-mail via Audiogon's message system, out of the blue from a guy who claims he heard both at CES or AXPONA, and claimed they sounded  bad and to avoid both, He suggested and recommended checking out Audio Illusions pre-amp line stages.  However, I cannot locate them on AG's index of manufacturers.

I ran across a thread  from 2013 which offered several recommendations and comments about Audio Illusions pre-amp line stages.  So, I need to check it out before making any type of decision..  Thanks again to those who responded  

(((Jim, not familiar with that ARC, but many good user reviews.
I'm sure it would have no trouble driving your speakers. But do some research if you plan on upgrading to Maggies.))

I am sure the ARC 100.2 runs Magnepans 3 series and Vandersteen 3 series and down, to bliss by getting out of the way for music.
  JohnnyR
ARC, Magnepan, Vandersteen Dealer.   
Klaus at odyssey  will build his stratos amplifiers in the smaller khartago cases if you call him.  The upgraded boards are great and adding extra bank or 2 of capacitors are all options.  I have mono stratos extremes with 180,000 micro farads upgrade  and the newer black boards and have run these amps on ML CLX's,ML Summits, larger Maggies,  Apogee Divas, and currently my favorite Dunlavy's.  I play around with wires and room treatments now, I don't worry about the amps.  I use an old 1970s Audionics of Oregon tube pre amp (and can work on it myself) so not so sure on modern tube pre amps suggestions.  My local store in Chicago is big on the musical fidelity and manley brands. The basic Khartago is a good amplifier if you have fairly easy to drive speakers, but the upgrades can make it really like stepping up to a much higher price league.  Used I like the CJ gear, nakamichi stasis, and threshold.
On a different track, Schiit plans to introduce a 2 channel set in the fall, with the amount of power you are looking for, and right in your price range. Details have not been announced yet, but they usually provide a  very high value proposition.

Another possibility would be a used ModWright KWI-200 integrated.
Audio Research, Parasound, Conrad Johnson and Cary would be on my short list, and not for sounding alike. ;)
To Lowrider, I  never have  checked with US Audio Mart; probably thinking they were just an "audio" version Craig's list. I will check them out in the near future.