the best CD player between 6'000 - 10'000 $ ?

I need to replace my old Denon DCD 2700
I hear mainly classical music (don't need a huge bass ;-) )
I am looking for precision, precise stageimaging, high definition & warmth ... ;-)

thanks
clavil

Showing 8 responses by dcstep

The Playback Designs MPS-5 fill all your needs. There are reviews here on A'gon and Positive Feedback just published a review.

Dave
Just because the Playback Designs designer left Emm doesn't mean he's following Emm. Perhaps he's now free to design without restriction.

Dave
I'm glad you asked Mrtennis.

If musicality is accurately recorded and played back well it's accurate and musical. Where did the idea that they're mutually exclusive come from???

Dave
Mrtennis said:

"...with regard to a component, i believe you imply that the amr will preserve the musical attributes of a recording if they are present. if they are not, i believe the amr will reveal the inadequacies, as well. this means the amr is relatively uncolored.

is twhat i have described what you mean ?"

I've not heard the AMR. I believe that what you said applies to the Playback Designs MPS-5.

Two people have written me saying that they replaced their AMRs with PD because the AMR was too colored for them vs. the PD.

Dave
Clavil said:

"I believe because when you hear a lot of details, pink and white noise on the strings for example, the sound can become a little bit agressive in the mid-high range and the whole picture may not appear so organic ...

it's like standing on the podium in front of a symphony orchestra, your hear "strange" noises and sitting in the hall on the 21th row where the whole acoustic information arrives mixed at your ears ... and loses some details"

If the violins' sound contains pink and white noise, then something is wrong. I suspect you're talking about the edge on the sound when string instruments are heard up close. I play trumpet in orchestras, so I know very well the sound of which you speak, I think.

If the mics were set so close that you hear that, then I want to hear that. Starkers Bach Suite recording has that, along with him breathing and his fingers on the fingerboard. It's like he's playing for me in my living room (I've heard cello in my living room) and I want to hear that.

It's the reoording engineer's choice. Most give a slightly more distant perspective which I also find pleasing. I want my sytem to give me whatever the engineer was aiming at. If the perspective seems too close then I can always move my chair back a little. I don't want my CDP messing with perspective or smoothing or rounding the sound.

Dave
Clavil, it's great that you got to listen for yourself to so many great contenders. Congrats on your Puccinin purchase.

Dave
I think that part of the point is that you should self-disclose dealer status when applicable. Maybe putting a link to your retail site in your signature would be wise. I, for one, prefer knowing when I'm talking with a dealer or manufacturer vs. an enthusiast.

Dave