The Best $10,000.00 Table + Cartridge

I need some help to buy the best sounding table + cartridge with $10.000.00, i can go a little over just in case.
jopi88

Showing 4 responses by johnnyb53

This is pure speculation, but I think it's a fun concept to contemplate:

How about:

KAB-modified SL1200 Mk2 ($475) plus outboard PSU ($250), threaded record clamp ($149), strobe disabler ($50), and Isonoe Feet ($175) = $1099. This provides a very quiet, speed-stable platform.

Tonearm: Origin Live Technics armboard ($89)
Origin Live Conqueror Tonearm ($4285)

Dynavector XV1-S ($4500) and a perfect 10 Hz resonance match

=$9973.

Actually, I'm sure that there is a big range of carts from, say, the $1195 Cartridge Man MusicMaker to the $5K range of MC carts that could sing with this combo.

And don't forget to oil the motor bearing and slap on a better mat, anything from a Herbies to a Boston or Audio Technica AT6278.
06-20-08: Rccc
There is no best at any price point. In the range your asking about there are a ton of choices that come down to personal preference.
True. They all have compromises--belt drive, rim drive, direct drive, mass-loaded, suspended, 9" arm, 12" arm, etc.

You need to hear the sonic signatures of the various design philosophies (and their executions) and go for a good representative of the type the presents music the most like you perceive it.
How about a McIntosh MT10 and the right $2000 turntable stand? There was one that Art Dudley raved about (tt stand), but I'm too tired to look it up.

06-23-08: Stickman451
With due respect to all of the opinons voiced above, I think that one thing that everyone is overlooking is what I call 'system synergy' or just plain matching...
I absolutely agree, and that's why I suggested the McIntosh, because it is a matched, integrated system. But since it's $8K, one could spend the other two grand on a worthy stand or platform. And I say that because only the stratospherically priced turntables include a table or stand (or provide it as an option) to optimize performance.