The Audio Doctor makes a house call

I would like to contribute  to the discussion about Dave, the “Audio Doctor.”   I live in California but, after many phone conversations and texts where he provided advice about my system with no promise of any return, we decided a trip here from New Jersey would be worthwhile and worked out an arrangement.  Dave brought a lot of accessories for me to audition. First, we repositioned my speakers (KEF Reference 5s), which really improved the sound.  We tried a DAC (Aqua) to compare with my current Auralic Vega (first generation), wireworld interconnects and several other things.  I already had purchased an Innuous Zenith server from Dave and we set that up.  Dave was very enthusiastic about my speakers (which he sells but I already had purchased elsewhere) and my electronics (Audio Research amp, pre amp, phono stage) and never suggested buying new ones.   

At no point did I feel he was pressuring me or trying to sell me something just to make a sale.  My system is definitely sounding better now and I may move ahead with some other improvements he recommended. Of course, Dave is in the audio business and makes his livelihood that way but I think he was genuinely interested in helping me get better sound.  I know that some have objected to him and other dealers posting on this board.  Personally, I have found  his postings very helpful.  Those who don’t can always skip over them—no one is forcing you to read anything.  

Finally, I met Dave for the first time when he came here and have no connection other than as a recent customer.  
fast

Showing 11 responses by tomic601

@geoffkait congrats on your awesome career, contribution and service to our fine country. My initial and not very esoteric observation about engineers in audio not paying much attention to RF here on earth still holds. Ditto the Faraday cage

but do help me improve my system ? i am all ears....

we can compare resumes over a fine vino sometime, I like domestic and imported...

@geoffkait a careful read of my initial comment says analog and RF. I suspect you might have no experience engineering, testing and building high power satellites for commercial, agency and black program customers. We are not talking RF to RF, although that is not just as simple as frequency management. I stand by my comments about a Farady cage as a good thing.

have you moved your wall warts yet ?
 @geoffkait Well since you can just teleport up there to control the gizmo you would of course be unfamiliar with RF uplinks and RF downlink and of course in the case of things like XM radio enough EIRP to cover most of North America....
but yes space junk can ruin a good day

i should disclose that two of my four current clients are a brewery and a racing paddleboard manufacturer, so ignore any advice I give on those products, singular or God forbid in combination 
free or semi-free tuning advice...

Natural diffraction, Diffusion, absorbtion go a long way..a lived in room will often out perform a dedicated sterile room..

precision counts...get a Leica Disto and use it to locate your speakers, your chair and precision measure ear height

use the golden ratio, if ya can, it is just math....

Audiotools makes a fine ipad hosted RTA, add a good mic and some adapter cables and get into science and math based help..

faith based stuff also works....when you are ready for the last .5... read point five %

understand your power panel and what leg your audio gear is on - get it away from furnace motors, AC, refrigerator, hash generators.
dedicated lines on opposite leg work

get all the digital junk wall warts, computer chips, etc plugged into a dedicated conditioning device...Furman makes affordable stuff. start w DAC plugged in there, unless it has a faraday cage or competent RF management ( I used to build satellites.....few few audio engineers appreciate RF....and the havok it does to low power analog...

float grounds w cheaters with caution

ciao
 @ricred1 I dont get to San Antonio much....it was on my beaten path back in the day when I worked for Boeing...
I do some pro bono audio consulting..just finishing up with a happy client in Atlanta, money back guarantee...his system all analog, chock full of nice ARC gear and Vandersteen speakers...
Buy Jim Smiths excellent book on getting better sound and lets chat
Jim
 @stereo5 in the words of very wise men: Never Mind the Bollacks !!!
crank it up....

BTW how is the 1200 shaking out ????
which part of “ how wonderful “ was not understood?

I treat the entire West coast as an easy commute, so perhaps my exuberance for an 8 hour drive is overdone....I like Jets personally. Make mine a 737.

again, let me repeat: how wonderful !
how wonderful!!!!!

you do have a fantastic Innouous dealer in Alma Audio ( Alex ) a bit closer to home in San Diego.....

Sounds like you have a great system, enjoy the music !!!!!