The Absolute Sound vs Pleasing Sound

I have changed my mind about this over the years. The absolute sound (closest to real live music) just can't be accomplished even though I have heard some spectacular systems that get close on some music. So years ago I changed my system to give me the sound I wanted. I'm much happier now and all my music collection can be enjoyed for what it is: Recorded music.  
128x128russ69
@russ69 

"...unamplified acoustic performances remain the standard for judging how close our systems get to the sound of live. Indeed I do but that is about .01% of the type of music I listen to, so why use that as a standard?

I agree. Why voice your system for something  to which  you don't listen? I listen mostly to classic rock. Fortunately, I also played (drums & vocals) in classic rock bands for years. So I have a good idea of the sound I am looking for. Now IF I put on a piece of acoustic and it doesn't sound correct, I then re-access. I can't remember that ever happening though.

So the “AHA!” moment here is realizing for the first time you’re listening to recorded music???

Glad I learned that 50 years ago....
it all sounds fake and miniaturized -- just pick the flavor and color of fake and miniaturized that makes you happy

but just as with photos and videos of life events with friends and loved ones, the purpose is to bring fond memories, good feelings, joy and comfort - to teleport to the actual event, the real thing, is too high a standard to realistically achieve

thus, as such, it makes the energetic pursuit of a good system that we thoroughly enjoy no less worthwhile

I am afraid that with no live performances of any kind due to current situation we become more painters than photographers. At least we have the memories of live and people voices talking to us. Of course we induce our colour and shading in the pallet but can follow some rules that would make something having sense. Continue hunting the absolute for having the best enjoyment and be able to paint.

G
**** Indeed I do but that is about .01% of the type of music I listen to, so why use that as a standard? ****

No one is saying that you have to use anyone else’s standard. Everyone is free to enjoy his favorite music in their own way. However, I can tell you that well recorded unamplified acoustic music contains more information of the kind that allows one to more fully appreciate and understand what is possible in music reproduction and from one’s sound system. There is far more variety and detail in the areas of timbre and dynamic nuance in a well recorded orchestral performance or acoustic Jazz quintet, for example, than the vast variety of amplified/processed music. Don’t get me wrong, I still like and listen to a fair amount of amplified/electronic music, but I find that with amplified music “the standard” is too much of a moving target.

I don’t buy the notion that a system that can do justice to a good orchestral recording cannot do the same for R&R. Those who think that it cannot have never heard the power and dynamics of a good orchestra going full tilt in the last section of “Rite Of Spring”, for instance; or Elvin Jones’ drumming in Coltrane’s last quartet. Additionally, I like being able to hear what the producer and engineer did to the music post mic feed; warts and all. I don’t want to make every recording sound the way I THINK music SHOULD sound based on my tastes. Call me weird, but I find the total experience to be more interesting this way; part of understanding the recording art.

Different strokes for different folks.