The $5000.00 Complete System Challenge

I have an exciting challenge for the Audiogon community....

If you had a Rega P7 turntable already, but need all other components of your system, what would you buy not to exceed $5000?

Need: Amp, Pre, CD Player, and Speakers

Used items are ok.... assume current Audiogon classified pricing.

Would you spend most on speakers? Most on Amp? You guys tell me....
piech

Showing 1 response by raquel

You've now asked two questions, and here are responses in reverse chronological order:

1) Speakers for up to $5,000/pair. Assuming you have a medium to large room, Vienna Acoustics Mahler (app. $4,000/pair used) or Dynaudio 3.3 (app. $3,000/pair used). The Mahlers need a good solid-state amplifier to control their multiple bass drivers. The Dynaudios likewise need a good solid-state amp because they are 86 db. efficient. Both do really well with orchestral music (and the massed strings found in such music). The Dyna's are the more accurate speaker, but the Mahlers are also compelling because they are colored in a pleasing way. The Dyna's go loud, and the Mahlers can go very loud, cleanly. The Mahlers have an especially high-quality finish. The Dyna's are the better speaker, but if you listen to a lot of orchestral music, the Mahlers are great (and they're fun on rock/blues 'cause they go loud as hell).

2) System for $5,000. My proposed system is closer to $6k, but it's the price of glory:

CD player: A used Rega - app. $600.

Preamp: Audible Illusions 3A - app. $800 used. Contains an excellent phono stage. Absolutely must be left on 24/7 due to lack of soft-start (this preamp quickly destroys tubes if it is regularly powered up and down). Dual volume control (i.e., one for each channel) and no remote will annoy some people, but extreme performance for the money. Like most tube equipment, if it breaks, any decent tech can fix it, and usually cheaply.

Amp: Bryston 4B-ST - app. $1,100 used. Good sound, pretty powerful, won't break, and you can easily sell it if you move on to something else.

Speakers: Dynaudio 3.3's - app. $3,000 used (see above).

Cables: Cabling is really important. Kimber Hero interconnects ($100/pair). If you can stretch the budget to allot $800 for speaker cables, Kimber Select 3033 (outrageously good for the money).

With the exception of the preamp and the model of Kimber interconnects (I used Kimber Select, but the Hero is quite similar), I have personal experience with the above systems. I have oodles more money in my current system and while it's a lot better, I could live pretty happily with the above.

Hope this helps and good luck.