Teres 265 or 320 vs. Sota Cosmos

I am looking at picking up a new Turntable. As of right now I'm guessing either would be equipped with a Triplaner arm and the ZYX Airy 2.

BUT anyway has anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison between these models? What differences did you notice, and how would you compare them?

Any insight would be appreciated!
128x128nrchy
Tom, I have been remiss. I should have called you a couple of months ago when I noticed your absence.
Just a brief update, I got three boxes from Sota today. I'm looking at them right now. I will be here at work for many hours, but I'm pretty excited to get home and start putting things together.

Thanks for the help earlier on in this thread everyone.
Yo Nate,
Think you will get any sleep tonight.......? Not likely my friend.
Perhaps you should send the wife off to stay with friends so as not to disturb her sleep.
We are all expecting regular updates with your progress/reactions (hourly upon the hour will be sufficient).
Congratulations after a long and anxious wait.
Rgds,
Larry
Nate,

I've been waiting patiently for a short report but you must be glued to the sweet spot! I know your table is on a par with some of the best and that arm and cartridge will stun you right out of the box. Your phono stage is very, very good as well and is a keeper. My guess is that you'll post or call when you pick your chin up off the floor. Maybe there's a chiropractic manipulation that'll help.... ;)
There's nothing good to report right now, thus the silence. Something is not right.
Patience! Take your time! (I'm trying to be being positive here) IMLE, it's usually something I overlooked.
Nrchy,Could you elaborate as to what the current problem is.If any.As someone who went through a wait,last year,I may be able to offer some help/support!
I have found and eliminated a series of problems. The issue currently is that the arm lift assembly is sitting on top of the Cosmos chassis when the VTA is correct. To raise the arm enough requires me to set the VTA too high. I have been in contact with Kirk and am waiting his response as we speak.

There is very little bass present in the set up right now. I know that the cartridge has a ways to go before it is able to reproduce good deep bass, but still...

I would appreciate any insight you might offer. I know this is not just a mismatch between the TriPlanar and the Cosmos since Sota uses the same combination at CES and other venues. I'm at a loss.
Nrchy,to me this is simply amazing!!I had the exact same problem,when first ordering my Triplaner/Cosmos,some time ago.I "freaked out"(my dealer was supposed to check out compatability here,and did not).What I ultimately had to do,was to have Triplaner(Herb Papier,at the time) make me a spacer,that went between the arm's headshell and cartridge.This allowed for vta adjustments,but added unwanted mass.I had always felt that the Triplaner was not such a hot "fit" for the Cosmos,but as you say,Sota does use it at trade shows,but it may be fitted on a Millenia.

In any case I don't want to alarm you.You have paid good money for your stuff,and ANY good dealer/manufacturer should take responsibility for any potential problems.Especially if you had mentioned to them the combo of arm/table you preferred.The audiophile community is a small one,and you should exercise your right to have this problem solved quickly,and to your satisfaction.

Don't do as I did,and wait 2-3 years before you realized that you could not extract optimum performance, from a front end that should be nearly state of the art.Kirk is a truly great guy,and will bend over backwards to try to help you.I think,as in my situation your dealer(for the arm) is responsible for making sure of no problems,in matching arm/table here.LEAN on him a bit.If he's worth his weight then he should solve your problem,and fast.It is NOT up to you to do the legwork,after spending audio "big bucks".

I wish you the best,and you can communicate your concerns any time.Also,it would not hurt if you were to indicate,to any dealer/type seller,of your analog rig,that you have more than a few interested parties(in your dilemma),on the web.That should send a message!!
Nate, two questions:

1. The Cosmos picture on the SOTA website shows the arm mounting area is actually recessed into the plinth. Is yours like that?

2. If so, is it a case of the arm hitting the edge of that plinth cutout when you try to lower the VTA tower?

Doug
Sirspeedy, Sota uses the TriPlanar with the Cosmos and the Millenia. My concern is that the suspension is hanging too low from the chassis. If the sub-chassis sat up higher there would be no issue, but at the same time I doubt that Kirk has the same issue with his own display models.

Doug, you are correct in your assesment of the Cosmos construction. The floating sub-chassis which contains the platter, and the armboard is hung from the main or outer portion of the chassis.

The arm lift assembly is actually sitting on top of the chassis when the VTA is set anywhere near it's intended location.

The entire works is boxed up and awaiting shipping back to Sota, where I hope Kirk will find something obvious that I did wrong, or something wrong in construction that we be rectified.

Hope for the best and expect the worst...
The entire works is boxed up and awaiting shipping back to Sota,

That certainly seems like the best course given the circumstances.

They claim this arm works with this table. Let them make it so. If they can't, I'd expect a full refund on the table. They'd owe you that after all this aggravation.

P.S. Make sure they fix the spindle-to-pivot error too. Could that be the cause of your arm/plinth collision problem? If the arm were 2mm closer to the spindle would it clear the plinth?
Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'

Nate, sorry to learn of all these problems. As you described to me yesterday the clearance issue should be an easy fix. If the spindle to hole distance is off though it must be corrected to fully enjoy the synergy of that wonderful arm and cartridge combination. As an owner of a suspended table I must say that suspension adjustment is something SOTA should instruct their owners on doing themselves.

In any case, you will be richly rewarded and the time you spend in waiting will quickly fade away once you start listening to it. Hang in there!!
Doug, actually the spindle to pivot dimension is off more than 2mm. I think it is closer to 4mm which could go a long way to correcting the armlift overhang issue.

I don't doubt that Kirk will take care of all these details, so I'm not worried (right now) about having to deal with 'a sale gone bad.' Isn't that a video series???

Pat with the floating subchassis there is no suspension adjustment. We'll take a look at it at the RMAF so you can see what I mean!
My wife was the one who brought it up this time. She knows I want to go, and even Larry has asked about dates and so forth.

I was checking flights this AM, so I'm about 75% sure that I will attend. Your confirmation might be the push I need! : ) What's the word?
I'm at about 75% myself Nate. I am really motivated though. Sorry I cannot promise. You know how it is.
Nrchy,though you have to be quite frustrated,as of now,I can promise you that you will be laughing (well maybe just frowning)at all this, come the holiday season,which is the heart of listening season,for me.

I,too had to re-pack my analog set-up last year.Ask CELLO how I expressed my emotions at that time,and I didn't even know him well,then.I HATED to have to break down the arm/table,and rebox it all.I went through about 6 of my tennis sweatbands,during the ordeal,and it IS an ORDEAL.To me,an afternoon's work,during the NFL season,should be spent watching my Jets & Giants giving me aggravation,NOT my stereo!!

The good news is that Kirk IS a really caring guy,and definitely WILL solve your problem,and fast.He is not a "sell and forget the customer" kind of person.I have come to know him well,over the years.My set-up came back to me in meticulous condition,with additional attention payed to areas that were not even my concern,originally,yet brought a greater degree of performance to my rig,once I was able to get my hands on it again.Though it may seem silly for me to state the following,you will be a "fabulously happy",when all is done.Then I can start bugging you about the "umbilical" issue.

My friends that have owned VPI's over the years,have had plenty of similar types of problems.Also,in their case as in yours,the problems were solved,and the anger/frustration subsided.I know mine did,last year,so I know EXACTLY how you feel now,yet I also know how you will feel,in about a month!!Welcome to the world of analog,with all the little("BIG",actually)micro adjustments that ultimately enhance the listening experience.It is a real reward for those who stick it out.Everyone else,who usually can't cope,and go 100% cd,can send me their LP's!!

Nate,I will buy a bottle of a nice Pinoit Noir,this week,and crack it open,in your honor,when you finally report back,as to how happy you finally are!!

Best of luck!!Now I'm going out to an extended lunch,and read my new issue of Hi-Fi Plus,don't tell my co-workers!
Sirspeedy,
Try a bottle of David Bruce Pinot Noir (there are 3 bottlings at different price points and all three are good)and let me know how you like it.
Rgds,
Larry
Larry,I wonder how good those fine wines would taste,while auditioning a 340 or 360 mounted with two particular arms/cartridges, as noted previously?I truly would not care that it was offered up at only 10:00 am!!Maybe we could throw in some turkey leftovers!Assuming you can still stand me,by then!!

Sirspeedy
The wines will taste fine for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They might impair our collective ability to ascertain the ideal amount of damping fluid for a Graham 2.2.
Rgds,
Larry
Gentlemen, those of you still sober enough to read this anyway... : )

I shipped three boxes to Sota this morning. Went to one of those shipping places to make sure everythiung was good. They guy did not instill much confindence. He asked me if I thought the boxes could be dropped from five feet without incurring damage!?! WTFrog???

Anyway they should blow into the windy city tomorrow. Kirk said they would go to the front of the line. I hope he's there to do the work.

I bought my tickets to Denver for the RMAF and I'm holding right now for the hotel reservation.

Cello, sounds like a reunion! AP, vetterone, and hopefully Lugnut will all be there. Whose turn is it for dinner?
Heh,heh,heh!!--Regardless of my potential perceived eccentricity,re:fluid,I DO have "that one" down to a science BTW--Larry,where do you position your REL.Also,do you run an aftermarket interconnect,on it.I simply want to compare notes,as I may be playing around with my sub/set-up,a little!

On an interesting LP note:if anyone can find the EMI pressing of the Shankar Cto for Sitar and Orch.,with Previn conducting the LSO,it will be quite rewarding.A really different,yet accessible piece,with fabulous dynamics.

Also,on the RCA classic film score series,all are really desireable,yet the disc titled--Sunset BLVD:the music of Franz Waxman--has a very "consonant"(not too weird for you,Cello),yet ground breaking band titled "Bride of Frankenstein:Creation of the Female Monster" that is INCREDIBLE!!!Trust me on this one.My pal Sid turned me on to this,and if you don't want any kids to bug you on Halloween,just pump this "corker" with the window open,a bit.It is very accessible,beautiful scoring, stunning dynamics,and very well orchestrated.I have the U.S. pressing,which is quite good,but the British pressing is the ONE to have.Of course my pal Sid has the Brit,and I hate him for it.Well he did give me the U.S. pressing for free,so I hate him just a bit.A MUST audition!!

Best to all!
Sirspeedy,
I have the stock interconnects on my REL Stentor III. I am extremely limited in the flexibility in the placement of my Sub. It is now sitting about 1 foot off the left side wall and 3 feet off the front left corner (corner is odd shaped and hard to describe).
I know that I could have improved results from better positioning, but it is impossible in my current room.
Rgds,
Larry
Larry,without getting too nuts,regarding a pricey aftermarket interconnect for the REL/neutric connection lead,I ordered,from "The Cable CO",an XLO dedicated sub cable(to replace the stock unit).They had a deal going,as they had XLO make these specifically for REL units.I only paid 196 bucks,and the 15 ft cable looks to be of a much more costly persuasion.Simply amazing construction,for the money.Now,as to the sound,as compared to the stock cable.CLEARLY better defined and deeper bass.I'm not going to jump through hoops and go overboard here,but the difference is clearly superior to the stock.At the price I paid it was a no brainer.There are other companies selling much pricier dedicated woof cables,but the XLO's construction,and sound has closed the door for me.If you want to check it out,Cable CO has a free audition policy,where you pay shipping,only.Their phone # is 1-800-fat-wyre.PS--I,also replaced the stock PC with a PS AUDIO PLUS cord(1 meter).I got it for 160 bucks.Not as dramatic as the interconnest,but definitely better than the stock.

Best regards.
I talked to Donna today. Kirk will be working on the table this weekend. Hopefully everything will be in place in the next few days.
Nrchy,when you have everything back,and you are a happy camper,again,I'll offer you a tip as to how to coax a nice improvement,from a two dollar investment.This involves the SOTA reflex clamp,which has not been changed since it's inception,yet I have been at work,in my "tweakspace",and have come up with a nice(as in audible improvement)mod to it,brought about by the rediculously expensive Shun Mook clamp review!!
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

As an ancient and grizzled audionphile, with more money and brains, and even less of the former than the latter (which takes some doing), I am always amazed at the ferocity of the comments in these forums. Surely, one can enjoy the music with a minimal system that one could fish out of a dumpster, which was in fact the source of my first turntable. Should not the comments at least be civil? And, is it not the object of any forum to engage in disinterested discourse to discover the facts of the matter, if these can be established, which in the present instance I doubt because the variables are almost infinite? It is not a question whether X, or Y, or Z is "correct," but whether one can arrive at some simulacrum of the "truth" to the extent that it can be known.
Doug, what is a PFSM?

I talked to a fellow AudiogoNer and he agreed to send me his Teres to listen to and compare to my Cosmos. I also have another slightly older Cosmos in the system right now. It has an SME V and a Shelter 501 cartridge. It should be fun to sit down and do some serious comparisons between the three.

More to come in January on my little tease from October...
Why, it's the Perfect Sound Forever Machine of course!

Someone else posted that here once, I forget who though.

BTW, if your friend's Teres doesn't have the latest, 2 mil thick clear drive belt then get one before making any evaluations. It makes a huge improvement in dynamics/PRaT for no cost.
Actually the Teres will have a number of different belts, since he experimented with almost anything a person can imagine, and I'm not just talking about belts!!!
I got an e-mail from Steve, the Teres should be here Friday. It will be a welcome relief to the stress of the last week...
Welcome to the Teres club.

You'll eventually want to get your Belt Makers merit badge.

www.mccormicksnet.com
#6002006 1/2 in. x 100' Holographic Accent Tape, which, iirc, is mylar. Several prefer mylar over vhs leader tape.

then its on to:

http://www.mvipro.com/splicingblock.html
for a 1/2-inch tape splicing block - a sharp razor is included.

Finished off with 3M clear box tape which is thin enough to work well as a splicing tab.

And would that be a 320?