Tenor Hybrid v. VTL MB-450 Sig.

I am planning on replacing my VTLs with the Tenor stereo 150 hybrid . Since I will not be able to hear them first and since they are a substantial outlay over what my VTLs are worth, I am hoping that some of you may have heard both. Would you mind characterizing the differences that I should expect to hear? I have Merlin VSMMs, a First Sound preamp, and an Audio Logic 24mxl DAC. Other amps that I am considering are the Joule VZN-100s, or a CAT JL2. My pre-purchase buyers remorse is that they will be better but maybe not commensurate with the extra cost. I am aware of the higher cost/diminshing returns reality. However, from what I have read, these hybrids seem to be a huge step up. If I audition a piece and hear an improvement that meets my personal cost/benefit ratio, I buy it. So, with no personal experience with the Tenors, I am finding it is a bit difficult to make the leap to buy the most exp. piece of gear in my system. Any input you may have is greatly appreciated. By the way, JTinn and I have had several conversations about this subject. He had been very helpful and generous with his time. In this post, I am looking for more of a comsumer point of view.
brooksl

Showing 1 response by samuel

I have owned the Tenor 75 OTL's, and have listened with the Tenor Hybrid monos in different contexts, albeit within show systems. The Hybrids seem to offer far great power handling, yet retain the purity and resolution that made the OTL's magic. The Hybrids and OTL's are in the rare class of amplification that (in my experience) reproduces sound with the fundamental harmonic elements critical to listening involvement--tone, texture, timing, dynamics--balance.

The issue with the OTL's was one of sheer power output, which has been addressed within the Hybrids-- making them far more speaker friendly. If the principles at Tenor used the OTL's as a design reference, then it is sure that the Hybrids--whether stereo or mono, have those most salient musical characteristics. If their performance at the San Fransico and CES shows is any indication,Tenor has a winner on their hands.

I now own and enjoy the Atmasphere MA2 mk2.3 monos (better match with low impedance speakers), but still have a great affinity for the Tenor's extreme textural and timbrel dexterity, displayed in spades at this years CES exhibit.

Zaikesman offers the best advice. Seek out direct experience within your own system and make a buying decision according to system synergy and personal preference.

In terms of asking for comparative impressions, I think it unwise to put stock in forum-bred opinion --even mine :). There is simply too much bandwith used up with touting favorites and product-plugging on this and other forums. It is best to seek out your own experience when contemplating this kind of expenditure.

Personally, I tested multiple SUV's and studied specifics before laying out SUV type cash. Audio systems are even more context sensitive than SUV's yet cost about the same --or more. Use your own judgement when matching amps to speakers.