Tell us about your KT150 experience

By now, there must be quite a few folks who own amps that utilize the Tungsol KT150 tube. ( I own a pair that do).
As such, i would like to hear the experiences that you folks have with re-tubing the amp with new KT150’s...what dealer did you buy from, how well were the tubes matched, how long have they lasted, any problems with the tube...new set or old set? What amp(s) are you using them in?...and lastly do you believe that they are superior to other Pentode power tubes...and why.
128x128daveyf

Showing 2 responses by daveyf

I have stated before that it it is not usually wise to simply roll in KT150 tubes into any tube amp. If the amp was not designed from the start to utilize the new KT150's...damage to the transformer can result! The KT150 needs a lot higher voltage to drive it.( therefore an inability to bias the tube is also a factor).  Best to check with your amp designer to see if the amp can accept KT150's with no damage.

Back to the thread...
The amps that I have heard that utilize KT120's have not been in my system, so very hard to say...I would be interested in this answer as well from someone who has had the two types in their system.