Tekton Double Impacts

Anybody out there heard these??

I have dedicated audio room 14.5x20.5x9 ft.  Currently have Marantz Reference CD/Intergrated paired to Magnepan 1.7's with REL T-7 subs.  For the vast majority of music I love this system.  The only nit pick is that it is lacking/limited in covering say below 35 hz or so.  For the first time actually buzzed the panel with an organ sacd. Bummer.  Thought of upgrading subs to rythmicks but then I will need to high pass the 1.7's.  Really don't want to deal with that approach.

Enter the Double Impacts.  Many interesting things here.  Would certainly have a different set of strengths here.  Dynamics, claimed bottom octave coverage in one package, suspect a good match to current electronics.

I've read all the threads here so we do not need to rehash that.  Just wondering if others out there have FIRST HAND experience with these or other Tekton speakers

Thanks.
corelli
Posting on SPLs to make the point about how enjoyable I find the DIs, in this case the SEs, to be at lower playback volumes. And because it raises some questions regarding levels at which we (any one of us) listen to our music.

Listening to Saraste’s Jota arogonesa Op. 27 with Julia Fischer on violin.

Average of 51dB with the bulk of the music in the high 40s to mid 50s, with very little music above 60, in this piece, and at the gain setting I’m at. These are considered ’quiet library to normal conversational levels’ (40s-50s).

I remember @teajay mentioning a preference for listening at lower levels. Terry, would the above be in the range that you typically listen, not counting dips and peaks (and taking into account the obvious shifts based on the genre of music being listened to)?

For example, I followed the above and chose a pop recording to get a feel for the difference between Saraste and Jessie Ware’s ’Wildest Moments.’ Perhaps a first ever tie-in between the two! :)

By the way, I’m not trying to get into the ’loundness wars’ stuff...With Ware the bulk of the music was never below 60dB with an average of 69dB. My gain settings were identical on the preamp (position 28 out of 100) for both recordings.

Since the subject was raised a day or so ago, I’m curious as to what levels most of the DI owners in the thread listen at? Has anyone measured their listening ranges?
I am very interested.  I am currently in upstate New York but will be home next Friday.  I can come over with a source and amp to test drive them.  I’ll let you know when I’m home.  Thanx, Jim
Oh the many similarities between microwave and audio. Speed of light ~ speed of sound, waveguide/cavity modes ~ room modes and case in point, electrical ~acoustical reflection coefficient and energy coupling.

When it comes to speaker isolation, the goal is to pull as much standing wave or ringing energy away from cabinet so that it doesn't color the driver sound. Several stages of performance likely exist in this goal.

First, maximum conduction of acoustic energy from the speaker. Manufacturers may improve this by integrating solid metal bases into there cabinets to conduct maximum energy into the footers, likewise, speaker stands/platforms maximize area contacting the speaker base for maximum conduction.

Second, provide an acoustical loss mechanism. The interface and acoustical conducton of energy through spikes to the floor will always be flawed, providing reflected and unwanted energy back to the speaker. Lossy materials minimize energy at the spike floor interface, moreover, the acoustical noise ringing in your floor is attenuated before it is conducted back to your speaker.

Third, acoustically lossy material would be usless if it did not effectively conduct energy off the threads in the base of the speaker or platform. I'll guess that these footers/platforms with lossy materials could utilize several variations of materials to impedance match (acoustically of course) from metal to increasingly lossy materials in the center of the sandwich between the threaded inserts and the spike tips.

Basically reflection and transmission occur at every material boundary interface. Remember to tighten those drivers. Wait a minute, are there any gaskets between our DI cabinets and our drivers? Lossy gasket materials that allow the ideal combination of conduction AND loss should improve the sound as well.

Sorry for the long winded post or being captain of the obvious. So many of the EE designs I've worked from antennas to RCS involve similar concepts.

David Ten ..and everybody else

Merry Christmas ! Great time of year ain't it ? We're getting some snow today. Can't beat Christmas time and snow . David, I have thought of something. Remember the 110 dB's video concerts ? Those dB's are with the ENTIRE system up and running. Two powerful subs, a Center, and 2 Surrounds 4.5 feet from MLP. I have never taken readings in Stereo . Kind of changes things ... But I don't know how much ..

@nitrobob Merry Christmas to you. Are you primarily listening to 5.1 or above recordings?

@brotw   Given your work and knowledge of the area, do you have any recommendations?

I've considered Star Sound Technologies as well as the IsoAcoustic Gaia. I'm currently using Herbie's products, to good effect. Thoughts?