Tekton Double Impacts

Anybody out there heard these??

I have dedicated audio room 14.5x20.5x9 ft.  Currently have Marantz Reference CD/Intergrated paired to Magnepan 1.7's with REL T-7 subs.  For the vast majority of music I love this system.  The only nit pick is that it is lacking/limited in covering say below 35 hz or so.  For the first time actually buzzed the panel with an organ sacd. Bummer.  Thought of upgrading subs to rythmicks but then I will need to high pass the 1.7's.  Really don't want to deal with that approach.

Enter the Double Impacts.  Many interesting things here.  Would certainly have a different set of strengths here.  Dynamics, claimed bottom octave coverage in one package, suspect a good match to current electronics.

I've read all the threads here so we do not need to rehash that.  Just wondering if others out there have FIRST HAND experience with these or other Tekton speakers

Thanks.
corelli
Jeffrey: I see why you went with the full size Ulfs. Next to your cabinet, they do not overwhelm the room. They don't look like the large speakers that they are in that setting. It works out well, IMO

Cal3713, I agree with Charles that it seems evident that the 4 ohm DI impedance is a particularly benign one, with relatively little variation over the frequency range compared to most 4 ohm speakers, and little if any in the way of challenging phase angles.

However two things can be said with a fair amount of certainty: Running the 8 ohm taps of your Franks into the 4 ohm impedance of that version of the speaker will significantly reduce the power capability of the amp, and will result in some degree of degradation of its distortion performance. And there certainly could be other sonic consequences as well.

Personally, I don’t like the idea of introducing a known and likely significant compromise into the configuration of a system, on top of all of the unknown and unpredictable tradeoffs, compromises, and effects that are inevitably present in a system. And in a hobby where many concern themselves with things that are likely to be far less significant, even things like which way a fuse is oriented.

Without a strong endorsement of the idea from Mr. Blume I would not even consider it. At least without the opportunity for an **extended** audition, and I would be hesitant to invest the time that would require given my suspicion that the result would stand a good chance of being negative.

Best of luck, however you decide to proceed.

Best regards,
-- Al

@333jeffery  Thanks for sharing.

@almarg   Wonderful post. Thanks. Very informative. 

porscheracer - "Anyway, I am pretty sure the hum is gain related. My preamp has 14dB of gain in tube mode and the amp has 27dB. That's a lot of gain for speakers as efficient as the Double Impact. If I put the preamp into passive or JFET mode with 0dB gain, the hum gets quieter but it is still there. If I unplug the RCA cables from the amp, it's gets a tiny bit quieter. This mirrors what the preamp and amp designer said would happen with high efficiency speakers.The First Watt F7 has 14dB of gain so I would be cutting 13dB. About the same as going into passive or JFET mode on the preamp."

Not sure if you got your excessive gain/hum problem resolved but if not try out the Rothwell attenuators. They are plug and play a come in -10db, -15db and -20db.  I've used them in various systems over the years with great results.  Here is a link:  http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

Hi Cal 37 13,
1 Al as is par for the course raises legitimate concerns.
2 As several of us have suggested see what Israel thinks about this potential amp and speaker pairing.
3 I’d also seek feedback from Eric, is this a good match or would he recommend the Double Impact 8 ohm version?
4 As I wrote earlier the Double Impacts "may" be an exception in this scenario.
If you decide to talk to Israel and Eric let us know what they suggest.
The Coincident Frankenstein switched to 4 and 8 ohm speaker taps a few years ago.
You and I have the earlier (original) 8 and 16 ohm tap model.
Charles