Tekton Double Impact & Comb Filtering

Like many of you, I have been pondering purchasing these speakers but am very curious about the unusual tweeter array. I asked the smartest speaker person that I know (he is a student of Sean Olive) about the design and below is what he had to say.   

"In theory it could work, but the driver spacing means that the crossover point would need to be very low.
He is using the SB acoustics tweeter which is 72mm in diameter, center to center on the outside opposing drivers is around 5.7 inches, which is about 2400Hz. This means that combing would stop between 1/4 to 1/2 of the wavelength (between 1200-600Hz) is where the outside tweeters should start playing nice with each other.
Since he is not using low enough crossover points he has created a comb filtering monster. Now while it's not the great point source that was promised, it's no worse than most line arrays and the combing will average itself out given enough listening distance.

The MTM spacing on the other hand is ridiculous. Hopefully he is cutting the top end off on one of those midrange drivers to avoid combing."

seanheis1
Never heard Tekton speakers.  Given the high cost of shipping these days, and the savings to the consumer associated with direct purchase, I think that the cost of shipping is reasonably put on the buyer.  If you buy something from B&M store of any kind, and you want to return it, you usually have to bring it back to the place you bought it from.  And many (but not all, I'll admit) mail/internet sellers place return shipping cost on buyer.  Those that don't typically have so much purchasing power that they pay far less than a small manufacturer does, so they have little at risk.  As far as payment up front w a cc guaranteeing a serious purchaser and not a lookie-loo, just read the threads on this site about folks returning stuff, claiming shipping damage or other nonsense.  PayPal and the cc company charge-back policies place virtually all of the risk on the seller, so it's not unreasonable to ask the buyer to pay two-way shipping.  If that does not work for you, you can vote with your feet and your wallet.  Just my $0.02.
I believe that if there is a return situation, Tekton eats the send shipping cost since it was "free." There is more risk buying internet direct but the reward is if you like the speaker, you can save quite a bit. The guy who started the DI monitor thread originally really liked them, but then returned them due to being too forward for his taste and there being a "hole" in the center image with his specific room setup. I think that the moral of the story is that no speaker can meet everyone's tastes. The DI might not be ideal for those midrange junkies that like a laid back sound (harbeth ls3/5a) but might be perfect for home theater and music that has slam. 
Post removed 

missioncoonery624 posts08-13-2017 8:51pmEric.....If you have few buyers returning speakers then why don't you simply take them back on your dime.If what you say is true seems a no brainer as that's one of your stumbling blocks with me.I would also like to see reputable stereo mags review what you offer.Seems like a positive way to convince those on the fence.
I once bought a pair of empty speaker cabinets locally from a well-know (around here) builder. The price was very low for a pair of well made cabinets, and when I picked them up I told him they were well worth the low price. He said he usually offers his old cabs to fellow Audio Society members for free, but everyone was like "Free!!" and grabbed them but never used them, and they ended up getting thrown away or whatever. 
So he put these for sale, and since I was paying he thought there was a good chance I'd actually use them, which I did.

Similar situation with free shipping both ways. People would order them like crazy, then listen, then return. Oh well, no skin off my back.
Considering the interest the hundreds of posts (thousands by now??) that the Tekton DI thread is generating, I'm sure Eric would be building A LOT of speakers for people with absolutely zero intention to purchase if it was all at no cost to hear them.