Tekton Design's new THE PERFECT SET equals "goosebumps time"

Just got in house for review for hometheaterreview.com Tekton Design’s new, The Perfect SET, which is close to 100dB efficient and never dips below 8 ohms, which Eric built to be used with SET "flea watt" amplifiers. It is a front ported design using a 12 inch woofer and his patented array of small transducers that function as a midrange driver with a single tweeter in the middle. I set them up in a system with a great 2A3 SET amplifier and found them so superlative I did not stop listening for over five hours! Taking about "goosebump time" the music was so beautiful that
I lost track of time.

These speakers have all the virtues of the other Tekton speakers, speed, utter transparency/micro-details, great soundstaging, and that special "aliveness" that I experience when I listen to my Ulf’s. What really amazed me was what the Perfect SET was delivering on the bottom end frequencies, subterrainian/taut powerful bass, that was shaking the room, all coming from at most 2.5 to 3 watts.

If you love SET amplifiers this speaker is a match made in heaven, and remember this pair just arrived and is not totally burnt in yet.

teajay
People who loved their Thiel speakers often discovered over time that the front baffles, on certain models, would crack and pull away from the side of the cabinets.
Comparing Tekton to Thiel is silly.  Thiel were extremely high quality loudspeakers with gorgeous woodwork/veneer.  They also designed and built their own drivers.  To compare the two companies is crazy.  I think the models you're talking about above are probably the ones with the concrete front baffle.  That was highly unusual construction done for ultimate performance.  I think anyone should know how to glue MDF together and make it last at this point.

Hey dcevans,

Both are great speakers, and of course would match beautifully with your amplifier.  Because of your amplifier I think both speakers would be a better match then the monitors.

The Model 50 is slightly, and I mean slightly, warmer overall then the Perfect Set.  The Perfect Set is slightly, and I mean slightly, more transparent, therefore you can pick-up some of the micro-details more easily.  Both have excellent bass, but the Perfect Set will go somewhat deeper because of its 12 inch woofer.

Two ways to try to describe the differences:  1) Would you rather sit 15 to 20 feet away from the stage/ Model 50 or sit about 5 to 10 feet from the stage/ Perfect Set when you go to hear live music in a jazz club. 2) Do you love Telefunken or Bugle buy NOS tubes.  They are both great, but sound different.

Finally, both are good looking speakers, however, the Perfect Set is a much wider/deeper speaker then the Model 50, so you would have to decide which would look better in your smaller room.
Imo what is high quality when it comes to aesthetic things like the finish is subjective. I have seen a pair of tekton speakers in custom orange finish, it was quite fancy automotive finish and looked probably as high end as any other manufacture offering a similar finish. maybe the smaller tekton bookshelf’s wouldn’t pass the knuckle rap test, or be completely inert with heroic and exotic internal bracing and materials used but we are talking about $1800 pair of medium sized bookshelf monitors so that kind of perfection is not to be expected.

@teajay 

I do hope you can appreciate that I am not like these other posters making blanket, generalizations about Tekton. I don’t recall ever making a post like that as I find such actions beneath me. Also I have never actually heard a pair of tekton hence why I’ve never said they sound bad (or good) as I don’t know.

Am I guilty of calling out Eric for his behaviour behaviour online? Maybe. I’m a little sick of manufactures bullying the little guys online because they had a bad experience. So I’m trying to call them out if I deem it necessary.

However, I have a heart and I do see that you seem upset so I will be nice and just refrain from saying anything at all about Eric on the audiogon forums henceforth. People are smart and will come to their own conclusions. 
Hey Ketchup,

To answer your question:

1) The great majority of the most respected speaker companies do not build their own drivers (Wilson/Ariel Acoustics/Totem), so this has nothing to do with the question of general build quality.
2) I know at least three electrical engineers that have checked over the internal parts and the craftsmanship of these speakers and found it to be at a high quality.
3) Just had a retail dealer come over to hear/see the Perfect Set speakers.  Not only was he delighted with their performance he believed that the paint job was a good as Wilson speakers that he has closely examined.

My pair of Elf's are beautifully painted with a metallic black piano lacquer finish and the very large cabinet is rock solid and extremely well constructed with internal bracing.

Jim Thiel, rest his soul, was a brilliant designer, so is Eric.  I don't agree with you that it is "silly" to compare the two companies regarding performance and that occasionally any speaker company can have difficulties with enclosures, veneer, and paint jobs.
Hey d2girls,

Sorry, that you were upset that I posted your name vs. your AudioGon moniker.  It won't happen and I apologize to you.

Thanks, for your gracious post towards me.  I'm not hurt or upset, just will not give in to individuals, excluding you, that have a vile/nasty agenda towards Tekton or me.  I have never hijacked anybody else's thread for personal reasons and wish the haters would just get off this discussion so we can discuss THIS speaker and nothing else.