Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
Dcbf5606 34f4 42aa b527 0682cb6a22c7millercarbon
@MC, 

Holy sh!t these things are heavy!  Just finished unboxing and setting them up on their feet.  Yeah, luckily my wife favorite past time is Olympic weight lifting.  Old Dominion don't do stairs and it's about 12 shallow steps up to my front door.  They sent the biggest truck they could find so it couldn't drive up to the stairs, and the gentleman was at least in his late 50s and not even trying to make the attempt.  We ended up carefully carrying them up a flight of steps from the garage to the first floor.  I would have gone through the front door but I didn't want to risk someone hitting one of the boxes while we moved one.  The paint came out just as we ordered per the swatch so that's nice.  I haven't looked too tough into the speaker but from what I can tell it's got some good bracing in there at least between the ports.  They arrived with dual connections so I'll find out if they are bi-wire or bi-amp in a bit.  Eric wasn't sure but he'll send a set of jumpers if need be.  I'll strip some Rat Shack 12Ga in the meantime if I have to.  I'm pretty fking excited but damn, I need to take a breather first.  Almost ready to connect to the amp and play some tunes!

-T
I'm near 63 and had no problem unboxing and setting up myself. Not to mention laid em down, pulled the drivers to tweak and set back up again, then again on the Spring Things. So that's like 3 times all by myself. 

Listening to them today and never sounded better. If you have the XLO CD do yourself a treat and play the demagnetizing tracks while your amp is warming up. They like a lot of toe. Enjoy!
Congrats Tupuh! Give us some listening impressions soon.
Thanks! @MC Playing around with toe in, seems like it’s going to be a critical adjustment. The dispersion is fairly narrow, not head in vice, but the sweet spot is on the small side. Tonal balance changes a bit the further off axis, a little more sensitive in the horizontal than the vertical but the sound changes quite a bit when I stand up, but I’m 6’4". First few seconds of some slack key guitar and my wife exclaims "your last setup sounded FANTASTIC, but THIS, THIS is something else, another level". Nah, I wasn’t prepared for that. I plopped these things in the same spot as the last pair (MMG on top of poke subs, literally on top of them). I’ll do the REW thing later in the week but my usual battery of test tracks tell me they’re in the right spot.

About the weight, it’s just safer to have two people. I could and would have wrestled these things in the house if I had to, wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had to do some heavy lifting, but it was way easier with a "spotter". I’ve never seen a delivery man run off so quick. I turned to make sure the boxes were stable and I turned back to ask if he could take the pallet and he was all the way down the driveway yelling "nope, gotta go!". SOB.

I’m curious about springs, will try those later. I’m going to enjoy these and make changes gradually.

One thing is for sure these speakers are telling me I’ve been on the right track, more layers removed, hearing deeper into the music, it’s fking effortless, my amp is the weak link now but I’m still getting goose bumps with it. Weak as in if I put my ear to the tweeter with nothing playing I hear a slight hiss, not at the listening position though (8’ 4" away). I’m going to enjoy this setup a bit before I go amp hunting. I’ll post more, but I have to run and grab some food. The hype is well deserved. Oh and the sound already changed over the past couple of hours, the bass filled in a bit and a slight etch is gone.
The sound will change for awhile. I played them about 2-3 hrs a day for about 6 weeks to break in. I used svs isolation feet they sell for subs and they work great.