Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
5c19db42 db1e 4039 96f2 9d2ae7c37947millercarbon
ksnel331 your room at 16x21x9 is only slightly smaller than my 17x24x9
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
I've never measured this but they're probably about 10-12 feet apart and around 7 to 9 feet away. The first photo on my page is from where they come together a couple feet behind the sweet spot. They image beautifully, the sound is seamless top to bottom, and moving around a bit I have no problem saying you will be fine in your slightly closer situation. Beyond fine! Amazing speakers!

I like a bit wider setup and a bit more toe in than some, but did experiment a bit. With a bit more toe in the stage is a bit more focused and deep, very slightly out from there its a bit wider and not quite as deep but still with very good focus. I'm talking very fine adjustments, only a few degrees one to the other. Within that range the tone balance doesn't shift noticeably. This tells me that a) nice even dispersion and b) you will have no problem sitting a bit closer.

There's people using these in much smaller rooms, much closer to the walls, just way worse situations than either of us, and yet they are crazy happy. There's every reason to believe everything I'm saying about Moabs applies equally with Encores.

I had originally planned on Ulfberhts. That was based on reviews, and comments, and the expectation that nobody is going to build a speaker so close in performance to their very best and sell it for half the price. Honestly thought the Ulfs would have to be a whole lot better. But teajay reviewed and bought Ulfs, then reviewed Moabs, and told me very directly the Moabs come so very close its just not worth paying double to get that little bit more. Encores never even came up. Also asked Eric about parts quality differences, specifically between the tweeters. Since with 15 per speaker they are so important. Eric said yes the Ulf tweeters are better, but you would find it hard to hear the difference. In fact he said I wouldn't be able to hear the difference- but they're better! (That's practically an exact quote!) But now having lived with Moabs I would never try and talk anyone out of either Encores or Ulfs. As far as I'm concerned Eric is The Man in speakers today. Whatever his best is, is the best. Period. I know that ticks people off. Too bad. Ticks me off I have to scan past pages of blather to get to the one or two comments like yours that actually belongs here.

Whatever you get, order the upgrades, and plan on putting them on springs. Even my cobbled together quickie spring experiment made a huge improvement. There should be a really good DIY design up by the time you get yours. Or if not search around, there's plenty of highly cost-effective options. Just so you do it. My guess is Moabs like mine with the upgrades and sitting on springs will outperform Ulfs in standard trim on factory spikes. Nor will it even be close. Springs are a big upgrade. If this motivates you to order upgraded Encores or Ulfs and put them on springs, so much the better! Just don't see how you can go wrong with any of these truly fine speakers.
#miller carbon

springs? Remember “because Newton?” LOL... glad to see an old dog is man enough to try a new trick.  :)
+1 on the springs. Loving mine
millercarbon,
If you want to further improve your Moabs, I suggest getting Eric to swap out the stock tweeters for the Be tweeters.  Maybe the crossover network has to be changed also, maybe not.  Maybe you could do this yourself without the hassle of shipping the 2 big boys back and forth.  These Be tweeters are probably a lot better than the Ulf tweeters, since Eric claims that the Be is a significant improvement, unlike what he said about how you probably won't be able to hear the difference between the stock tweeters of the Ulf and Moab.  I can practically guarantee that for 300 Hz to 30 kHz, the Moab with Be will be obviously superior to the stock Ulf, for less money.  The ultimate Tekton would be the Ulf with Be tweeters, but that might not be worth the big increase in cost compared to the Moab with Be tweeters.

I have found that for clarity, ALL speakers benefit from full toe in so that the drivers are facing your head.  This is because HF diminish off axis, and the full info of the driver is not revealed.  A reasonable debate can be whether you aim the left speaker to your left ear and right speaker to your right ear, or both speakers to your nose.  With my highly directional stat panels, this issue is very important.  With speakers that offer more dispersion, the issue is less critical.  But even the single tweeter should be listened to at the correct height for your chair height.  This requires tweaking of the backward tilt, or use of spikes/springs with variable height.  Be careful!  But of course you are, since you are a tweaker, LOL.  You could also get a chair with variable height, like the pianists have with the benches.
raysmtb1-
springs? Remember “because Newton?” LOL... glad to see an old dog is man enough to try a new trick. :)

Rick can testify to the fact that I latched onto springs the minute it was explained clearly. Why none of the spring proponents ever bothered to do this I don’t know. For sure they had plenty of opportunities. So for the record its definitely not a case of an old dog trying a new trick. Rather its a case of a smart dog understanding the trick will indeed work and then doing it. Just like with DBA, and Tekton, once I understand what’s going on the rest becomes a foregone conclusion.

Neither do the springs alter any of my earlier thinking. Speaker vibration still needs to be controlled, and we are working on improvements on that score as well. The Moabs are still on Cones, its just the Cones are on the spring thing. Need time to experiment and figure out which combination of controls works best. Then will get a much better looking and more functional spring platform design. But while the proof of concept was fast this next stage will take more time as it involves moving the dang speakers around which is no mean feat! I mean even tweaking them a fraction of an inch right now eats up real time as you have to then check and adjust level, measure three corners, ensure everything precise, because we are listening and judging at a level where even a tiny difference in placement could override the difference in what we’re actually trying to compare.

viber6-
These Be tweeters are probably a lot better than the Ulf tweeters, since Eric claims that the Be is a significant improvement

Eric told me that with all-Be they are as good as any speakers currently available at any price. "You can take your Magicos, Wilsons, you name it, they are that good." So "significant improvement"? Yeah, sure, can’t argue. Not that its happening any time soon. If my miners take off then maybe next year. But then he also is planning a truly high end speaker, not merely like the current ones but more a statement type model, or line, and taking a more conventional approach with regards to drivers, cabinet, probably even materials. Who knows. He didn’t go into details. Just letting folks know, expect something equally as disruptive as anything he’s done so far. Which again if the miners take off as expected just might be doable.

Right now though these things sound so good it is quite honestly hard to believe. Hate to keep saying this, but its not just the speakers, its the whole mega-embedded system.

But even the single tweeter should be listened to at the correct height for your chair height. This requires tweaking of the backward tilt, or use of spikes/springs with variable height.

The test spring thing is within a fraction of an inch of the original height on Cones. One of my goals for the finished Spring Thing is to have all these adjustments be easy and precise. L/R, F/B, toe and tilt. Pretty much like the Townshend, only with better toe adjustment. Is the goal. Might not be able to figure that out. But you never know. I did after all brainstorm the rubber band trick. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 See #47.