Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
5c19db42 db1e 4039 96f2 9d2ae7c37947millercarbon
I can’t even follow all the acronyms. 
Do we win a prize if we find the hidden tweak?  
Rixthetrix Spring Things are going together nicely. Keep hacking away indiscriminately and might be in testable prototype form right about the time the ribs are ready to come off the Traeger. Dry rub. Sweet Baby Ray’s. TDF.
Post removed 
Regardless of speaker, I prefer narrow separation--15 degrees instead of the usual 60 degrees.  More separation of course magnifies the separation effect, but the penalty is less focus and clarity for musicians toward the center of the soundstage.  With any amount of separation, the left and right speaker become musicians at extreme left and right,  respectively, having the most amount of precision.  With narrow speaker separation, any location on the stage will be most like the extreme left or right.  With wide separation, the more centered musicians will seem like vague ghosts, contrasting more with the more vivid solid musicians at extreme left or right.  Many people like this ghostly effect, but it is not high fidelity to the real thing, where everything is solid.  

Imagine a recording of 2 musicians.  Directional cardioid mikes let the left and right speakers become the left and right musicians, respectively.  The blending of musicians will correspond to the natural dispersion of any Tekton speaker.

A mono recording of a single musician played on a stereo with wide separation sounds ridiculously unlifelike.  It should be played on a mono speaker.  If the speaker is nearly perfect, that amounts to the holy grail.