Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
He's MDS. Leave him be. 

I like the Townshend design with the springs coming up through a low-profile flat plate. It looks easy enough to build, including with the level and height adjustments. Easier than what I had in mind anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPXJDdwtk4

speedbump6,

No not totally against tweaking a system, but not much for the pseudo-science aspect.   The one where you place anything in or on your system, think you hear a change, and then make up vague explanations that are indistinguishable from pseudo-science or how psychics  operate.   Anyone who has looked at millercarbon's system or read his many tweak posts knows it's no surprise the thread has gone this direction.

But...mercifully...I don't intend to spoil the party any more than that.

Enjoy.

Did you see the latest Absolute Sound issue? In the 2020 Golden Ear section, I did t see any Tekton speakers listed. Tekton is an advertiser so it can’t be that TAS hasn’t heard them.
In the past, they have listed many speakers in the $5000 price range in this section, for example the Golden Ear Triton speakers, maybe it’s because the reviewers didn’t put springs underneath them!
Also in the latest TAS issue, you will see the latest version of the Signature B&W speakers that are in the same price category ($4000-$6500) as the moabs, but their are some major differences: they use their better drivers and the cabinets use an exotic veneer that looks fantastic. So, I guess people can make good sounding speakers that both look good and sound good for around $5000. So what’s Eric’s excuse? Maybe you can ask him on 1 of your calls
See what I mean speedbump6? The conversation goes along really well for quite a while. I mean its actually an intelligent exchange of ideas. Then one of the Hateful 18 (prof) throws one of his patented waste of space gratuitous barbs, you make the mistake of responding, and now its like chum in the water and the other even worse one comes along. Next thing you know there'll be half a dozen of em competing for most inane unproductive unwarranted and unwanted comment.

Obviously there's guys here capable of making useful contributions, and there's ones who couldn't even if they wanted. We can't stop them, but we sure can ignore them. Please. Ignore them. Totally. Thanks!
rixthetrick,

Your descriptive method is much the same as the Townshend model. The tweeter excursion will have to counter the forces and overcome the damped cabinet motions. Keep in mind this is audio and the focus are on transistors, chassis and magnetic movements and not that of two-ton car springs or structural buildings surviving earthquakes. We do have a member on staff that has studied both building structures and vibrations in the Earth.

With springs in audio, our research demonstrates that chassis movement establishes the loss of finer details of high frequency distribution leaving the listener with the false impression of hearing more bass. By reducing the finer details of high frequency distribution via these methods introduces a product layer of inertia that inhibits voice coil rise time and slows the retraction of the reverse piston movement.

By arbitrarily reducing both polarities of shear, one of which is required to achieve full bandwidth and amplitude while the other can be routed to ground preventing the regeneration of interfering energy. The dispersion patterns of drivers in constant swaying motion questions the theorem behind springs as being everything they are currently being hyped up to be.

First it was cones of all types then spheres came on the scene later advancing onto combinations of every shape known to man and now springs. We have witnessed a lot over the past thirty plus years.
Both spring theorem and resonance transfer work. Springs have issues with movement and time artifacts and variable weight capacities where our products are always compared to the twenty-cent speaker floor spike.

Not all springs, spikes, platforms and racks use technology nor do a lot of support systems for acoustic cello or bass. I know this because I am a member of Star Sound Technologies and the designer/owner of Tone Acoustics.

Everyone is of their own opinion, beliefs and justification but until the listening tests are taken, no one will ever know or realize the shortcomings and potentials that are debated on audio forums.

We do have a have a ME on staff with a degree in geophysics. Her patent describes a method to remove interfering energy in some string instruments gained from her understanding and recognition of polarities of shear. She is both a registered engineer and geologist.
She has also worked as Geotechnical Engineer in the housing industry.

Everyone is of their own opinion, beliefs and justification but until the listening tests are taken, no one will ever know or realize the shortcomings and potentials that are debated on audio forums.

Star Sound Technologies was awarded a most wanted product of the decade by Stereo Times..both Terry London and Mike Wright used our Sistrum Platforms when reviewing Tekton speakers for that same magazine. Check it out.. http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/most-wanted-components-of-the-decade-cables-and-accessories .
Tone Acoustics Endpins and Acoustic Coupling Devices are being used by musicians daily around the world.

Tom