Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
E4faee34 8363 486b b950 7687e7a5d2d7millercarbon
Real "boyz" had Tonka Toyz!

Yeah and it was all fun and games in the sand pit with my brothers when suddenly a gift from presumably our beloved cat, was found buried whilst we played with our sturdy Tonka Toyz. The fur flied and Tonka were used as weapons in retaliation, when a dry sand covered cat nugget was lobbed across the sand box at a sibling... Suburban Australia.

Sorry, I can't believe I typed that out aloud
The dynamic range is not how loud something will play, but the range between the loudest and the quietest. Dynamic range can increase by lowering the noise level.

Likewise, detail can improve by the absence of obscuring noise. Its unbelievable how much of this there is!
Very interesting Post millercarbon...

I lived trough the same experience with the dynamic range, and the decreasing of noise...

I dont use TC for now (some angel gives me some free of charge but i will wait to apply it when i will recreate my audio system after my selling of my house because all my connectors are already treated now and inaccessible) but i use many kinds of crystals and stones in my connectors and wall plug etc...

Instead of EMATs i use my own "golden plates" all along the electrical grid of the house upstrean the electrical panel and dowstream...With success and very low cost....

But the most rewarding for me is increasing the S.Q. of my already good speakers to a great level by passive materials addition but mostly by many active devices of my creation to controls the acoustic of my small irregular room.... It is very powerful...

One thing would be evident for all those who will try it: no audio system, speakers included, can by itself, without any workings controls of the three embeddings can give his utmost S.Q. .... None whatever the price....

The reason is simple indeed: all electronic designs  are generic, but the 3 dimensions where they will be embed are totally particulars and need to be treated and controlled in a totally particular way each time and differently for each one..

I will read what you will do with interest .... Enjoy your Moab journey....

My best to you and to all....
This I completely agree with I have tried different things in this vein and the results were pretty incredible.

Likewise, detail can improve by the absence of obscuring noise. Its unbelievable how much of this there is! Power cords, fuses, tape, elevators, dressing/routing cables, static, on and on. A million little things obscure detail. Increased detail is NOT obvious it is by definition subtle. Detailing a car begins with polish, clay, and wax. It ends with a Q-tip going around every screw and crevice one inch at a time. Not even an ordinary round Q-tip either, but one of those special pointy deals.

Also this:No doubt prog rock sounds as good as anything else on big Tektons. Nothing like some meat on the bones to go with all the rest when it comes to Porcupine Tree or King Crimson.

Makes me want to get a pair. I also like some good ambient like stuff on spotted peccary like rudy adrian and secret observatory. I will say focal do ambient really well along with my wyred for sound amps..

mahgister
On the matter of embeddings. Isolation on Tektons will soon be under way. It may be of interest to you.
When I first heard about TC the main thing that kept me from buying, aside from the price, was all these people who pasted their caps, chassis, breaker panels, all kinds of stuff. Nothing could do all that. Right?  

Wrong. Turns out contact enhancement is the least of what it does. 

The way I think of it now is more in terms of preserving the integrity of the field around the signal than the signal in the wire itself. The very distinction we make between the signal in the wire and the field around the wire is arbitrary. That's why I wrote that April post and why I posted it again just earlier. This is all very poorly understood so you can think of it differently if you like but there's pretty good evidence for why I think this way.  

Where I heard the biggest improvement, by far, per amount used was on the internal speaker wires. Midrange and tweeter most of all. Probably because that's where the energy is changing fastest, and also where our hearing is sharpest. Whatever the reason, just the tiniest speck of TC spread super thin over those wires made a huge improvement. 

Use an artists brush, take your time, and brush it out until the wire is covered with a nice smooth thin layer. One tube will do your entire system- every wire, every cap, transformer, all of it- if very carefully spread thin this way. Probably you will even have enough to do all the connections in your breaker panel. Just use a very thin coat and only on the areas that actually make contact. If you have more you can coat everything. But to get the most out of it concentrate it on the small surface area items first.  

Eventually I did everything in my panel, and even the AC power wire and step down transformer. Then this last few days all that was coated again only this time with something even better. People have no idea. Well a few, maybe half a dozen of us.