Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Bump yup sounds like you are in good shape amp wise.

However many run Tektons off modest power tube amps. That is a different story if the lowest octave without clipping is of interest. Most likely soft clipping with a tube amp so dynamics would be impacted but more palatable distortion there than with a hard clipping SS amp.

Note many Class D amps soft clip as well. I use 500 w/ch to 8 ohm, 1000 to 4 ohm soft clipping Class D amps in my setup. I use a powered sub with smaller monitors but not with larger more full range speakers. YMMV.

speedbump6,

I am sure it can be done better, but I thought that Burmester in SL Coupe does sound really good. For some reason, and it might have been my bad day, it was a notch less good in the sedan. I never fully understood the idea of moving tweeter that was in some promo material, but it might have been just a marketing gimmick and not anything particularly useful.

My mention of Cadillac Escalade was after reading all those posts about bass. They reminded me of usual experience with Escalades next to me at the red light. My car shakes from their bass. That is how I imagine 4, 5, or 6 subwoofers would be in the room. Nothing wrong with that, if someone likes it. I went to check what Escalade offers because I would be surprised they did not notice what their buyers frequently like.

I imagine it’s one of the better sounding oem sound systems. I never really thought of what I was getting in my Mercedes compared to what I had at home, until just a few weeks ago. Once I listened with the same ear, I realized that what I had, I would  not even consider to be  decent for a home system. 
In general, with 2-channel home audio (as opposed to A/V surround sound which is different) I have observed people with tube amps are more likely to add subs to add value to already full range speakers.

That is because high power quality tube amps, if needed, are big, heavy higher maintenance, and expensive, not something many will want to have to deal with.

Whereas Class D amps in particular provide a user friendly cost effective option to drive subs or full range speakers with lots of watts and current needed to make them sing to their best.

If one is interested in sub arrays to better balance the bass across the room, then that is a different story with a different goal in mind, but personally I would only go there if desired once the usual issues common with all two channel hifi are addressed and system is tuned in from top to bottom including bass initially at the "sweet spot".

Also if main speakers do not have adequate dispersion (something I know Duke of Audiokinesis, who is an authority on bass arrays, I believe, cares a lot about) and thereby capable of tonal balance across the room to start with, achieving that with just the bass may still be desirable but is not a total solution.