Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Post removed 
@millercarbon  The woofer is being 5 feet apart what is one of the factors are used to make the purchase of the Moab over the encore.  Also the extra 2 dB of sensitivity.  Might not get the resolution of the superior drivers in the encore though.  And also, since my room is small, I don’t think I’ll miss the mid bass drivers,  I don’t listen at super loud volumes anymore, I already have some age related hearing loss.  That is on top of high frequency hearing loss from a right ear infection.

Should be an awesome combination with your tube amp. There are some comments that the speakers love current, or need high power to come alive, or things like that. Always take those with a big grain of salt. They just don't match my experience. Which with different speakers has been that amps sound the way they sound regardless of power. In other words I've had amps with less power that sound more powerful than amps with more power. Now granted with only 8 watts or whatever it is not going to play as loud as 300. Not saying that. But it will be interesting to hear your impression when playing within the same volume envelope.

I would not be surprised if the user of the Moab is able to discern some localization of the twin woofers 5’ apart when using the speakers alone, In larger designs with woofers separated by some distance it is noticeable, or perhaps I should say some people are sensitive to it. There is some discernible localization of the woofers in such a speaker. It is distinct in the Legacy Audio Whisper and the Tri-Art Audio B Series Open 5 (both reviewed for Dagogo.com), but less so in the PureAudioProject Trio15 Horn1 (reviewed) as the 15" woofers are much closer together. In the Moab perhaps the large array of smaller drivers forming a bridge between them might mask that effect quite a bit, and maybe it’s not discernible generally. Also, running them with subs might make the discernment of the localization difficult.

A tip for anyone with a large speaker with separated woofers and an irritation at the ability to hear the localization of the individual woofers; tilt the front baffle forward a bit, perhaps 1/4" will do the trick. I use wooden drink coasters placed under the backs of the speakers. This brings down the very high woofer such that both are working closer to equidistant from the ears, and that helps to reduce the localization of the woofers. It also will tighten the center image and the soundstage, and the bass becomes cleaner as well. It will lower the entire soundstage, too, so for some that may not be desirable. I do so with any tall speaker such as the Kingsound King III (reviewed) or the Legacy Audio Whisper DSW Clarity Edition, as I find the benefit of the change to outweigh the slightly lowered soundstage. Obviously, that will be a YMMV maneuver.

Manufacturers often do not want customers to do such things because they believe they designed the speaker to sound according to their conception of ideal sound. If it is not precisely to my ideal, a bit of creativity can improve upon the performance.

BTW, not looking to debate any of this, just discussing experiences.  :)
The big advantage to large quality speakers set up well in a large room comes when playing large scale high quality recordings with a lot of things happening and a lot of dynamics. Things like big band and classical symphonies. These only sound "all there" with my large 12" Ohms. Not as much with similar smaller 8" Ohms or KEf ls50s with powered sub. Good but not the same....like being there. With this kind of music, only the big boys in the big room suitably driven can pull it all off to the max and its a total thrill when it happens.
Post removed