Technics sp10 mrk2 or SL-1200mrkII

Hello. I am interested in getting a TT. I have not had one in quite some time. In talking with someone whom I respect, I was pointed in the direction of the sp10 mrk2. A friend of mine has an SL-1200mrkII. I know that I can get that from him without any issue. I also know that they are both direct drive tables. Is the sp10, leaps and bounds ahead of the 1200?
Thanks for any thoughts.
mikeduke

Showing 1 response by lewm

Dear Nrchy, (I start with the courtesy that Raul unfailingly exhibits in his communications and which you did not accord Raul in your post above.) You might want to re-read Pryso's post just above yours. If you do you will learn that Raul has his SP10 "mounted" in a single piece of plywood that is only large enough to provide real estate for mounting his tonearm. To add some further description, the motor section of his SP10 rests directly on some Audio Technika feet, so there is no contact between the plywood and the shelf upon which the tt sits. I think it is fair to say this is a no-plinth set-up. In another thread, Raul reported that this set-up was far superior to a heavy "marble" plinth that he used previously. You and I may argue that marble is not ideal for a plinth, but it IS likely to be heavy. The key to Raul's success in this set-up might be the coupling of the motor housing to the shelf via the feet he uses. Anyway, I've never known Raul to stick his foot in his mouth; for me his feet are always planted firmly on the ground, from which position he is not vulnerable to fads, like huge wooden or slate plinths, unless they really work.