Technics SL1200MK2 Cartridge Discussion

Hi,

I'd like to have a thread on cartridges that work with the Technics SL1200MK series tables.

I want to buy a Technics SL1210MK2 (the new black version from Musicians Friend) and need a cartridge recommendation. I am using a Musical Fidelity A308CR preamp that has MM/MC capability. My amps are Bryston 7B ST's and I have a pair of B&W Signature 800's on the way to replace my N801's. The MF Preamp is rolled off on top and the system is very listenable for long lengths of time. I'd describe it as detailed, but not too bright.

I really want to try the Technics table as it is relaible and inexpensive ($400 shipped or less for a used table if I go the ebay route). Please do not try to talk me into a different table. I had a VPI Scout and Dynavector 20x (High output) that I sold because I just wasn't using it. I'd like to keep this cheap so that I have decent TT available when and if I want to use it.

What can you recommed for a cart? I'd like to keep $160 to $200 as a max and stay lower if possible. Here is what I am considering:

Denon 103 (not the R)
Denon 110
Denon 160

Audio Technica 440 MLa

Shure M97xe

I do not know what carts work well with the Technics tonearm. I know that it is light and some threads recommend a Sumiko headshell for the Denons. What do I need to know here before buying a table and cart.

Thanks.
tigerwoodkhorns

Showing 8 responses by perfectionist

02-27-08: Johnnyb53
the Shure is dull as dishwater.

That is about the best description I've heard yet! I am said friend to Cytocycle, and I'm in total agreement. I personally think they should just stop manufacturing it, it sucks that bad. Kevin at KAB (who sold me this cart when I got back into vinyl) is a great guy and very knowledgable, but why he endorses this cart is beyond me. I am running the 440MLa on my 1210M5G in my main rig, and I'm here to tell you, at $100 bucks (give or take), it's a pretty decent cart. And my main rig is a fairly hi-rez system. IMO, the M97xE is not even in the same league with the 440MLa. About all it's good for is cleaning the grooves of a thrift store album...

"If you want a little airier treble, leave the lid up when you play a record."

Umm, no one should be running a tt with the lid up, or down.
Take it off and put it in another room.

Not trying to start anything here...
I have two SL-12xx tables, main rig and garage rig. One's hinged, one isn't. If you listen to music at TV levels, it probably doesn't matter. But the louder you crank that volume, the more that lid resonates. And like Solman989 says, it then transfers that energy to the table. I've been removing my lids since I was a teen; it's just common sense audiophile brethren... ;-)

Being a hardware tech I would like to agree with much of what Les_creative_edge has to say as far as build quality and engineering. In a world of over priced, esoteric TT's, I think it is a thing of beauty. The textile feel of the controls is amazing and so easy to use, especially after a few cocktails. And on the fly VTA is crucial. Can it be improved upon with mods, yes. But I agree that changing the arm on this deck would be a crying shame. This table has a lot of history, and Technics has R&D'd the hell out of it. I also love the hockey puck base, and would like to add something fun here...

I am one of the best detail guys I know (auto/motorcycle). There is a product by Mothers called "Back-to-Black" that is just out of this world (anything "mothers" is great). I highly recommend treating the rubber base with this product. It will make the base look very, very rich. Especially next to the metalflake of the M5G. But I also did my 1210MK5 (charcoal) and it looks fantastic. I know that it would really bring out the contrast on the champaigne silver 1200MK5. One application will last indefinitely. I would not use Armor all or Sun of a Gun as they are very oily. Back-to-Black is not.

Try it, you will like it...

03-13-08: Solman989
Interesting tip on the Mothers product Perfectionist. Have you tried it on your M5G yet?

Yes. I have treated both decks (only the visable area's of course). While both look great, the M5G looks richer with the metalflake finish. Trust me, this is a no brainer; it is a great product and will make the deck look more "finished," expensive, and RICH. It cost about $5 at the autoparts store. If anyone is worried about this, try a test area out of sight first. It is the best rubber product I have found and can even be used on flat to matte finishes. I have no affilliation with Mothers...
I just recently replaced my AT440MLa with the 150MLX on my main rig, and moved the 440MMLa into my garage rig. Both TT's are SL12xx's. I was really digging the 440 after many hours of play; a fine little cart at $100, especially compared to my Shure M97xE. Anyway, at $250 shipped from J&R, I figured what the hell. And I was getting tired of swapping the 440 between rigs. Out of the box, I'm quite impressed with the 150. As it racks up hours, I'm loving it more and more. It is a better cart than the 440, no doubt, but it is not fully broken in. And I'm a firm believer in break-in. I should mention that I have zero desire to go to an MC cart. I'm trying to have fun with, and enjoy my vinyl, not make a science project out of it. And enjoying it I am! I will interject here more after I rack up some more hours on the 150...