Technics SL1200: standard overhang gauge or MintLP

Hello Guys,

Some days ago I started a thread asking the difference from the cartridge setup on a Technics SL1200 with the stock white gauge and the Baerwald points by other Tractors
Well , as I told to Tvad I bought the MintLP Best Tractor and I tried the new overhang position.
Pratically is about 2.5/3.00 mm forward respect the standard white plastic gauge point so theorically the arm is longer with MintLP setup
I'm listening this new setup and I have to say Tvad was right when he said the sonic result is much better with the MintLP setup
Not only there is much less distortion like Tvad wrote .. but there is a large improvment in soundstage more wide depth and heigh more focus
As quality of sound I'm noticeing better bass quantity just tuneful and splendid heights super fine
I strongly suggest Technics SL12xx owners to buy that MintLP Best Tractor and to reset the cartidge position if done with the standard white gauge

Thanks Tvad for your suggestion

Best wishes to EveryOne

Curio
128x128curio

Showing 4 responses by chakster

@johnhaines

I have two Grado DJ200i and DJ100i, the generators of both is identical to Grado Gold. My reference Grado is Grado XTZ (top of the line signature model) and this cartridge is superior by far, it’s close to my top vintage MMs (i have many), i use it on Luxman PD444 with Victor 7045 tonearm and Grace carbon headshell. It’s also works fine on Sl1210mk2.

As for the overhang gauge for Technics SL1200 you don’t need anything else, but standard plastic gauge designed by technics for this tonearm. For technics stock arm it works fine!

I have Dr. Feickert protracktor, but it make sence ONLY if you need alternative geometry like Stevenson or Lofgren.

Seems like people like the Denon 103R.

Those people who won’t pay for a good tonearm and good cartridge. They use low compliance Denon 103R on low mass technics 1200 tonearm designed for lightweight mid or high compliance MM cartridges only. This is so stupid. It’s a total mismatch!
@rotarius 

...always liked the Technics alignment (similar to Stevenson) for classical.  

Their own plastic alignment tool (if you mean this one) is not Stevenson, with real Stevenson the cartridge must be twister a bit more, that's what i have double checked with my Dr.Feickert alignment. Stevenson is great not only for classical LPs, but for any record of the smaller size as well (7 inch vinyl singles).  
@erikt 

Do you mean Technics SL1200 or SL1200 MK2?

I'm talking about SL1200 mk2, the earlier 1200 comes with different tonearm, i have never tried.

So the 52mm cartridge overhang alingment tool that comes with 1200 mk2 tonearm is not Stevenson geometry for sure!

I know this because i use Stevenson on this tonearm with stock technics headshell (gold version) with my grado cartridges.

My tool is Dr. Feickert alignment which is presicion device to set up the carts to Stevenson, Baerwald or Lofgren. When my cartridge set to Stevenson the overhang is not 52mm, but a bit more than 53mm. It's easy to check by inserting the cart/shell back to Technics plastic tool to make sure the diamond is not on the 52mm mark (where it should be according to technics tool), but 1.2mm forward and a little bit twisted toward the center on the platter. 
@erikt depends on the cartridge, my grado cartridge mounting screws are in the middle of technics headshell slots when i use Stevenson on 1210mk2 stock arm. 

I think you need headshell with overhang/azymuth adjustment like the AT Technihard AT-LH13 for example.