TECHNICS SL1200 MKII.......THE REAL FACTS

I have been a very active participant in this hobby for many years (going on 30). I have owned amplifiers by B&K, Marantz, Forte, VanAlstine, Accuphase, GAS, Onkyo Grand Integra, Musical Fidelity.....Speakers by Thiel, Energy, Genesis, Vandersteen, PSB, Definitive Tech, KEF, Mission, B&W....Turntables by Sota, Rega, Linn, AR, Thorens, Dual, and yes; Technics. I have a Technics SL1200 MKII which I have had for a few years now. It has been modified in the following ways (all mods based on trial and error and final listening results):
-TT Weights 454 record weight
-XPM1 Acrylic mat with 1/4" heavy Technics rubber mat underneath
-Steel plinth cover (chrome finish). I cannot explain why, but the background is more quiet and micro dynamics are better with this in place.
-Armtube stuffed loosely with cotton.
-Heat shrink tubing on outside of arm tube.
-Stock headshell replaced with Sumiko with Sumiko headshell wires (do NOT underestimate what headshell quality can do with these things).
-Plugs on the stock cables replaced with better plugs: Vampire OFC RCA plugs.
-Bearings adjusted for minimal play with minimal friction.
-KAB Power Supply added

Now, this is the scoop. I do not want a Technics turntable. I am an audio snob. I want only salon approved brands; period. That is why this situation sucks dog. Out of all the turntables I have owned. This Technics with this combination of mods has the blackest background, the best dynamics, the most detail, the clearest stage, the most pace and timing and overall just simply plays the song in the least-confused manner of ANY turntable I have ever owned. In many ways it makes every other turntable I have ever owned sound like Amateur Night in sonic comparisons. Facts are facts. The Technics SL1200 MKII, when properly tweeked, is one serious LP playback unit. At least the chrome plated steel plinth cover covers up the name.
audiomaster1967
I have a very inexpensive system,
Techie1210mk2,marantz pm5004 amp,marantz cd 5004,Cambridge audio stream magic6, and a set of tannoy v4 floorstanderz ! For me the techie really does the job ,even better since I added a m97xe ,vinyl sounds great ! Just as I remember it all those years ago ! And to think all I had then was a Sanyo music centre ! The tone arm had no adjustment at all ! I think for the money I paid I got a good deal ? I paid £175 for a project essential deck that sounded like a coffee grinder if you turned the music down ! Turn of everything with the techie and you can't hear anything ?
I for one am satisfied !
Cheers !!
Techie, You are only allowed two exclamation points per post, plus one inappropriate question mark. Sorry.
Just goes to show that sentimentality trumps 'ears' every time. It's practically an epidemic in the 'high end' community. We will always find reasons to rationalize something either sentimental or 'cool looking' over something that actually does articulate music better.
09-29-15: Jw_dewdney
Just goes to show that sentimentality trumps 'ears' every time. It's practically an epidemic in the 'high end' community. We will always find reasons to rationalize something either sentimental or 'cool looking' over something that actually does articulate music better.

No, the high-end world is much more complicated than this simplistic summation of how audio "always" works "every time."
May i ask you @vinny55
Do you have this turntable ?
Just add KAB fluid damper and Isonoe footers, replace all wires, buy cardas litz or discovery litz (for tonearm) and Zu Audio Mission Phono RCA cable that you can buy on ebay every week for promotional price directly from Zu Audio (USA) under $150 max. Find yourself a good MM cartridge and listen to this deck first! This is minimum investment and maximum improvement you can do with SL1200mkII if you’re not gonna invest more than the actual price of the better turntable (SP-20 or SP-10mkII).

If you want to change tonearm you have limited space on the armboard, you need a new custom armboard, you have to measure pivot to spindle distance. You can mount any toneam with appropriate pivot to spindle distance if this arm can be fixed on the new custom armboard. That’s all you need to know, really. Internet is full of info about SL1210 mods, Jelco is one of the most popular solution, old or new SME is another one. I can add Luxman TA-1 tonearm (made by Micro Seiki) or Victor UA-7045 or Infinity Black Widow for extremely high compliance MM carts... But as i said any toneam can be mounted if the pivot to spindle distance is ok with the new armboard.

If you don’t have this turntable my strong advice is to buy SP-10mkII instead and invest to infinity to this (better) turntable.
@chakster i just got the 1200mk2.  I doubt sp20 is any better than a 1200 and sp10 mk2 prices not worth the quality i may as well modify a lenco than to pay for inflated price for overrated sp10mk2/3. Half The money id spend on a lenco would blow away any technics table ever made.
You doubt, but i owned all of them and SP-20 is much better than SL1200mkII if you will make a nice plinth for it, my friend replaced his rewired SL1200mkII with SP-20 + Lustre GST-801 and the difference is huge!

The SP-10mkII is the ultimate for extremely low price, i paid no more than $1200 including shipping for my unit 5 years ago (it was in mint condition), now they are a bit more expensive (maybe $1400), but anyway it’s simply amazing turntable.

However, i prefer my Luxman PD-444 to all of them.

I can not speak about the Lenco, never owned, but i love Direct Drive turntables, personally i don’t want any idler drive or belt drive in my life.

I have tweaked my pair of SL1200mkII long time before i bought at SP-10mkII. In my opinion the cartridge is more important, my first top class MM were Technics EPC-100c mk3, 205c mk4. On stock tonearm they are great if you can find them with strong damper (which is very hard to find). I even tried ZYX Airy III on stock Technics tonearm with KAB fluid damper. But i was more impressed by the EPA-100 tonearm on my SP-10MKII with those cartridges and later Reed 3P "12.

My advice is to start with full re-wiring and MM cartridge for your stock tonearm, the AT-ML170 is a killer cartridge for this arm even without fluid damper. It’s a mid compliance cartridge, so you don’t need super light or very high tonearm for it (which means that you can swap the arm later). My favorite is AT-ML180 which i use myself. I don't think you will buy a super expensive tonearm for your SL1200mkII, because if you do it's a bit crazy and not worth it (for this particular turntable). Luxman TA-1 with removable armwand would be nice if you gonna use some high compliance cartridges like Stanton or Grace or Sonus, i believe this arm is rare with its heavy stabilizer, but still under $750. Actually Grace F-9F or F-14 are quite good even on stock technics arm with fluid KAB damper.  
@audiomaster1967 hi are you still following your post?
Who can do this modification?
I'm sorry vinny but statements like this discourage any further comment, "Half The money id spend on a lenco would blow away any technics table ever made."

From your questions you obviously don't have experience with all the options for "any technics table ever made" so why would you say that?

Noting against a rebuilt Lenco, they obviously have many fans.  But there seems to be a larger number of experienced audiophiles who are very happy with their Technics.  Again sorry but there is no single audio component I can think of which has universal praise and approval.

Just FYI, the SP-25 offered the motor unit from the SL-1200 but without plinth or arm for those preferring to select their own.  The SP-15 was a clear step up in performance, as was then the SP-10 Mk 2 above that and then again the SP-10 Mk 3.  The new series of Technics tables may well offer further sonic improvements over the respective older models.  I've not seen any direct comparisons.  But I did hear a demo of the SL-1000R and while there was no direct comparison with any competitor at that time I can say I've never heard a more musically realistic presentation from an LP I'm well familiar with.
Technics SP-20 (released in 1976) is a budget version of SP-10mk2. The price for SP-20 in Japan was 60 000 Yen in the 70’s. Don’t mix it up with the cheaper SP-10 released in 1969, the SP-20 is a way different (improved, powerfull turntable) and it’s only one step behind the marvelous hi-end SP-10MK2, they are looks nearly the same! The main different is the internal power supply, the rest of the specs you can read below. Technics SP-20 is wonderful Direct Drive Quartz-Locked turntable with amazing speed stabily, it plays 33 and 45 only.

This is my ex SP-20 in the teak wood plinth with UA-7045 tonearm, Stax headshell and AT20SLa cartidge:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/30848737_2185174628167359_9100562755345439545_o.jpg?_...

Technical data for TECHNICS SP20 (1976):

Driving System : Servo Controlled Direct Drive

Speed : 33-1/3 and 45 rpm

Platter : Aluminum diecast 32cm, weight 2.5 kg.

Starting torque Characteristic : 1.5kg × cm // Less than 0.7 (90゜) second to reach normal speed (33-1/3 rpm).

Load fluctuation : 1.5kg x cm within 0%

Rotation speed deviation : ±0.002%

Wow & Flutter : Less than 0.025%(JIS C5521)wrms.

S/N Ratio : 60dB(IEC17B) // 73dB(DIN45539B)

Power Consumption : 4W

Inertial mass : 345k × cm2

Outline Dimensions : 368.5 × 99 × 368.5mm

Weight : 8.0kg

Power : 100v / 60Hz

The SP-20 chakster referred to many not have been sold in the US.  At least I've never seen one, only references online.  The Special Products or SP series sold here were the 25, 15, and 10.  The original SP-10 had built-in power supply and on/off switch.  The SP-10 Mk 2 included those in a separate box and added quartz lock, among other improvements.  That was followed by the SP-10 Mk2A and Mk 3.  Plus there were broadcast versions of at least the Mk 2.

More detailed information can be found online for those interested.
I was referring to the sp that had 78rpm not the sp10s..forget if it was 15 or 25.
@pryso i have spoken to a few people and once that lenco has the bearing and arm changed and ideal plinth made it becomes a formidable table hard to beat at any pricerange