Technics 1210/RB-250 vs. stock arm + fluid damper

I'm in the market for a new (used) turntable, and I'd like to try a Technics 1200 variant. I have the opportunity to buy a used SL-1210 with Rega RB-250 arm & armboard at a reasonable price. An alternative would be a used SL-1210 with the stock arm, and adding the KAB fluid damper. (I assume that the fluid damper does not fit the Rega arm, both literally and figuratively). I plan on using an Audio-Technica AT440MLa cartridge that I recently bought for my outgoing table.

In theory, the Rega arm is better than the stock Technics arm. But does this automatically hold true on this TT? And what about the addition of the damper? Does anyone have any ears-on experience? Your true-life experience or wild, theoretical prognostication is requested.
davetherave

Showing 1 response by patrick_odonnell

Alright Tvad, you got me. The fact that I'm going against the audiophile tide to a direct-drive Technics table should be enough of an example to go against the tide of audiophile noise on the tonearm as well. Touché.

I feel like most audiophiles would still tell you to go with the stock arm on the Technics - the RB250 is very good tonearm, but the Technics arm was, well, made for the Technics tables. And with the KAB upgrades available for it, I really see no need to switch out the stock tonearm.

Nowadays you'd be hard pressed to find that many audiophiles who don't consider the Technics 1200 series to be solid turntables, especially now that KAB has addressed some of the issues that kept it out of the audiophile realm. If I personally am prejudiced against the 1200 (and similar tables) it's just because they have a lot of features I don't need/don't care for, and my experiences in the past with turntables with bells & whistles has lead me to follow the KISS philosophy. The build quality is legendary, and some people really like that "fast," punchy sound the direct drive gives music.