Technics 1200MKII or1210M5G? M5G worth it?

I have a modest system but loads of records I'd like to be able to listen to again.

My current system consists of Magnepan MG1.6's with mods. A QSC 4040 amp, a Kenwood preamp with high gain phono, loading, etc built in, and a Marantz SACD player.

My question is this, would the extra $100.00 the M5G be worth it in my situation? I will likely start out using a Goldring Excel VX cartridge I have left over from my glory days in audio that is low hours and sounded sweet in my SOTA Sapphire several years ago.

BTW, I'm leaning toward spending the extra $100.00 at this moment thinking it might be better then regretting it later.

Thanks for your advice
ktownjohn

Showing 1 response by undertow

LED Cue Light Is very GOOD in blue because you automatically see all the white lint and dust on the album surface so using a carbon fiber brush you can make sure to get it all off.. Think of a Black light in a college dorm room and seeing all the fuzz on somebodys black shirt it works very well honestly..

And yes for 50 bucks more on an ebay or even new in many cases at a guitar center etc... The M5G is the superior table in my opinion, the finish is much nicer in the paint on the black, and the wire is far better sounding and equal already to the Cardas or better honestly, I have tried both in the past. Again the price differential is so small, the gloss finish on the M5G is a little better for cleaning the table, and the cue light, along with wiring is the better buy in my opinion, and yes it has pitch control but has a switch that just shuts it off and auto sets it to zero anyway...

This is my 2 cents if your buying from scratch on a technics table unless you find one for about 200 bucks used with none of the extras go for it, but for the prices I am seeing between 400 and 575 for any of them including the Grandmaster M5G get the top one if you can. Also they are coming out with a new M6 version or something, but it will be 100% DJ toys with probably only the gold color tone arm or something from what I hear.

Best upgrade champion still on the technics is however the KAB fluid damper.