Technics 1200GR Owners

I’ve just recently bought a 1200GR, and a Zu Denon 103.  I’d be curious what others think of the table and it’s sound who have had it a while and if there are any suggestions you would like to share to get the best out of it. 

Just for for reference sake my main rig is a VPI Prime with Eagle PSU and Roadrunner tach, two belts with HRX Pulley and Soundsmith Carmen II. 
last_lemming

Showing 1 response by avanti1960

Have had the GR for over three weeks and it is my final turntable.  Could have sprung for the G but was completely satisfied with the GR in a demo.  
Absolutely loving the speed accuracy and stability that adds an easily distinguishable energy and neutrality to the sound that was not there on my previous high mass belt drive table. 
Makes my old cartridges sound so much more alive. 
The idea of no longer being concerned about speed and pitch wavering allows me to relax and listen to the music. 
Currently running the Ortofon Cadenza Blue which sounds spectacular on this table even with low run in hours. 
Tried a variety of mats and headshells.  The stock headshell works just fine and lets the cartridge be as low as possible.  Other 'shells raised the cartridge and made it impossible to set proper VTA. 
Tried the wooden bull mat (not bad but bass was too rounded off) and the Funk Achromat 5mm.  The achromat was yanked in a hurry because it made the bass sound light and "hollow" and reduced its depth and impact.  The stock mat sounds the best so far- deep bass and high energy neutral sounding.   I may try a Herbies mat in the future but have no need at present.  Thrilled with the neutral, transparent, high energy speed stable sound.