Technics 1200g vs Rega rp8, VPI aries, avenger, Basis 2000, Linn LP12 etc. Can it compete?

I am thinking of upgrading my Turntable in the next few months.  It has been a long journey as believe it or not, the VPI scout really is a great table and has kept me satisfied for a long time.  However, I am looking for my last table.  Has anyone had experience with the new Technics 1200g? is it really as good as the best from VPI, Basis, SME, Feikert, etc.  It has intrigued my interest and from what I see it looks like it can easily hold its own against some of the best.  What headshells, mats, record clamps work best?  Can you use a clamp with this table?  Looking forward to your replies.
tzh21y

Do you have to have a new table as you will get more for your money buying used.

also look at some of the older tables like Thoerns (td 125) and Garrards (301-401). they offer some outstanding sound and so much upgrades to take you to the $30k sound  dollar range with upgrades over time. defiantly a last or forever table.  

nice example for the money:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-thorens-td-125-mk-ii-sme-3009-improved-ortofon-gold-ref...

or out side the norm:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-oracle-delphi-mark-iv-gold-black-turntable-2017-12-28-a...

or maybe a Sota and many VPI tables on the used market as well.

of course the tables you mentioned are all great tables too.

tables don't really wear out ( if taken care of and serviced) and good ones last decades. My Garrard 301 is 50+ and works wonderfully.

Tzh, we are a Rega dealer, and we would also like to carry the Technics.

When you said immediacy you got the Rega sound vs the VPI sound.

Rega's design philosophy is the exact oppostie of the VPI which have used mass ie weighty acrylic or greater mass in their platters and plinths.

Rega's concept is to make a light weight low mass design, with the philisophy of less mass means less material to  resonate, higher mass turntables and platters do ring, just tap one and you will see,  and to provide flexture to dissapate energy. Light and stiff has many advantages.

The real question is how far do you want to go in terms of an end game turntable?

If I was going to go end game I would look at a Merril Wiliams Real 101.2 which is a $7k table plus arm, pretty much beats any table under $25k.

We tested one vs a $40k reference table that is the talk of the industry,  and couldn't really hear an appreicable difference with the much more expensive table on a $100k reference rig.

The Merrill Williams Real Table is designed to absorb all energy being fed into the table. The plinth is made out of compressed sheets of rubber composites, the clamp uses a ball of rubber and sits on a rubber ring, even the outer clamping ring uses a rubber internal damping ring.

It doesn't look ultra cool but think of how a turntable is supposed to work, you have to isolate the groove and cartidge from the noisy world of the bearing, and the outside world's vibrational energy which is being fed back into the table, if you can use a material known to absorb mechanical energy and turn it into heat you can wick away all the noise which masks the delicate signal being picked up from the cartridge. 

Over the years we have setup Linns, Sotas, Vpi, Well tempereds and many other very expensive turntables the Merrrill sounds better because it is designed systematically to absorb all energy being fed into the table, the result you can hear the cartridge for the first time.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/merrill-williams-real-101-turntable/

http://realturntable.com/

Hope this helps.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

@tzh21y 

I was in your shoes earlier looking deciding on my retirement table although my short list was down to only two tables, namely the Technics and a VPI Prime.  I have the Technics on order currently and hope to have it soon.  I made my decision on the following:

Based on hearing the benefits with my own ears of direct drive, idler wheels, and rim drive I really wanted direct drive the most if possible and if it was done right.  Simple belt driven tables can be good also, but they tend to cost way more money to get the same timing and drive. 

Fate smiled on me when Technics introduced this table last year along with its many improvements, notably the newly designed coreless direct drive.  This motor alone has gotten wonderful market feedback and I really didn't want to deal any more with belts if possible.

A friend of mine has the 1200G (upgraded from a VPI Scout also) and I've heard his with a cartridge we both own (AT ART9).  This really cemented my decision.  I also have a few other carts including a Lyra Delos.  I intend to use both carts attached to separate LP Gear Zupreme head shells.  My friend also has this head shell so I'm leaching off his experience.

As my "last table" I did think hard about reliability and ease of use.  Prior 1200 tables have a wide reputation for reliability and I don't see why this new motor won't add to that legacy.  The usage features on the table also will allow me to use this without fuss or confusion as I get much older.  I should be so lucky when tubes need to be rotated.

Lastly, the Technics as priced seems to be very fair if not impossible to beat.  I haven't seen any other new $4000 tables that can compete.  Some are swayed a lot by looks also, and indeed the Prime really caught my eye.  I just can't ignore what I've heard and what you get for this price.

The VPI prime is not just different than the Scout, its flat out better. You don't need to have great ears or spend several hours to figure this out. I have had them side by side.

Anyway I don't think you will go wrong with any of these tables. I would definitely buy used. I would have the Technics, VPI and the Basis on my list.