Technics 1200g vs Rega rp8, VPI aries, avenger, Basis 2000, Linn LP12 etc. Can it compete?

I am thinking of upgrading my Turntable in the next few months.  It has been a long journey as believe it or not, the VPI scout really is a great table and has kept me satisfied for a long time.  However, I am looking for my last table.  Has anyone had experience with the new Technics 1200g? is it really as good as the best from VPI, Basis, SME, Feikert, etc.  It has intrigued my interest and from what I see it looks like it can easily hold its own against some of the best.  What headshells, mats, record clamps work best?  Can you use a clamp with this table?  Looking forward to your replies.
tzh21y
I would pick the Basis if you can get a used one with a Basis Vector tonearm. The Vector tonearm is much better than the stock tonearms on the Technics, VPI, Rega, or Feikert (Jelco)
They are all fine tables....I would choose the VPI because of its great customer service and the belief the company will be there for as long as I would need them.
Tzn21y, you have a loaded question, is the Technics 1200G a great table, the answer is yes. Too many reviewers have stated the table sounds great and it is not the same thing as anyway as the original by any means.

As per being the best or being the last table, that is an entirely different question.

If you are asking in the $4k price range is that the best table I can get now that is a different question.

Personally you have to look at the competition and then weigh the pros and cons. 

For example Rega  RP 8 offers a killer package with the outstanding Alphetta 2 for $4k the Alphetta is a $1,800 cartidge that sounds like a way more expensive one, so you are getting a killer cartridge for $1,000.00 

The Technics has a very clean fast detailed sound that many people like. 

As per mats and clamps that is something you will have to try for yourself if you like the changes that thoese things do.

I would try to audition the Technics vs a great table like the Rega and I would also look at the new EAT tables as well.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ