Technics 1200 GAE, 1200GR or 1200G?

How many of you have or have heard the Technics 1200 GAE, 1200GR or 1200G? I know the specs and the differences between the three tables, the 1200 GAE, being the limited edition, the 1200GR similar build quality and the 1200G, being of lesser quality, motor, plinth and platter, but I wanted to know if you have heard it at an event or have someone that you know that has or have had it. I have negotiated a deal at a shop for some other components and really thinking about closing the deal, the wife wants some of my older stuff out of the house. My Deal would be for the Technics 1200GR.

I currently have a VPI Classic 1, 30th Anniversary Edition. If one of you have both, I would really be interested between the differences, bass, treble and mids between the Technics and any VPI, including the Prime, but I would like to get your impressions. I have had an older Technics 1200 in the past and there is no comparison, the Classic is the better table. I’m thinking about a simpler set up and I’m thinking speed stability should be equal or close to equal.
sid1

Showing 7 responses by tzh21y

I listened to a gyro se and I would like to know how think its better than the technics?  Just curious.  I thought the Technics was a lot better than an SME 10 and I think the SME is better than the michell
I hate to say it but they are not.  I was going to buy the SME.  After hearing the Technics, I just could not justify the cost.  Technics killed it. 
Not crazy, heard them all.  Speed issue on michell, mind as well keep my VPI Scout, and the sme sounds mechanical to my ears.
The VPI classic one is a great table.  Those unipivot arms do things that it takes very expensive gimbal engineering to accomplish.  That being said,  the solidity of the gimbal sound along with super accurate speed really is tough to do at 4 grand.
The Technics if set up properly sounds incredible and easily bests much more expensive tables.  The Michell I heard was not broken.  They do sound great and are one of the best under 15 grand no doubt.  Once the 1200g breaks in it is truly an amazing table.
The VPIs are difficult to set up.  In time you learn what you are listening for and these tables can really deliver amazing sound.