Technics 1200 GAE, 1200GR or 1200G?

How many of you have or have heard the Technics 1200 GAE, 1200GR or 1200G? I know the specs and the differences between the three tables, the 1200 GAE, being the limited edition, the 1200GR similar build quality and the 1200G, being of lesser quality, motor, plinth and platter, but I wanted to know if you have heard it at an event or have someone that you know that has or have had it. I have negotiated a deal at a shop for some other components and really thinking about closing the deal, the wife wants some of my older stuff out of the house. My Deal would be for the Technics 1200GR.

I currently have a VPI Classic 1, 30th Anniversary Edition. If one of you have both, I would really be interested between the differences, bass, treble and mids between the Technics and any VPI, including the Prime, but I would like to get your impressions. I have had an older Technics 1200 in the past and there is no comparison, the Classic is the better table. I’m thinking about a simpler set up and I’m thinking speed stability should be equal or close to equal.
sid1

Showing 1 response by tooblue

The three belts are achieved by using the HRX pulley but I could not justify 3 belts over 2, with that said you will need the SDS to play at 45 rpms and that introduces a new issue of the motor being audible at the higher speed. I have had my Prime for a couple of years and have finally got in settled in and for the most part it was due to taking the feet off the motor pod which also removes the plate covering the electrical pieces, setting the pod on a like thickness sheet of metal, tracing out the pod and cutting out a piece the exact side of the bottom of the pod, drill New holes attach this piece to the pod and adding a set of Herbies Firm Tenderfeet have solved all but the noise of the motor issues at 45 rpms. I added a Symposium ISO platform on top of my 3" maple shelf on top of my Lead Ballon and the results are stunning, I will be keeping my Prime and source a new motor for the issues I have at 45rpms.