Technics 1200 G a Forever Turntable?

I won my fantasy football league and have $4-5K burning a hole in my pocket.  I am considering a new turntable to replace my OG Technics 1200 M3D.  Is it possible to get one at this price point that can be the last one I'll ever want/need?  Looking at 1200G because of the familiarity, but is it better to get one with easier future tonearm changes.  I know audiophiles generally don't settle on anything forever, but I feel like a great turntable can do the job for years beyond most other equipment.  
ronribbons

Showing 3 responses by hobo1452

I recently upgraded to a Technics 1500C and It's definitely my forever TT. Everything there is to love about a Technics TT minus all the DJ foofaraws. Rock solid at all three speeds with end of play arm lift, and sounds fantastic with a Ortofon 2M Bronze and Schiit Mani. It shares a lot of the same mechanics as the 1200 series for a lot less dinero.  Use the $2800 you save to buy the stylus/cart of your dreams!
chakster
All good info that I did not know since I am not a musician and don't listen to classical music. I have never felt the need for, nor have I missed having a pitch control. Apparently, I'm not the only TT user who feels that way, otherwise Technics would not have bothered to produce the 1500C. Also, if pitch control is that important, I'm left to wonder why it's not a standard feature on all audiophile class turntables. In my musical world, pitch control is what Pete Townsend used to make sure his guitar hit his amp properly!

I don't feel pitch control "harms" anything. Apparently, "people like me"  have no need for it. I am happy that it is available for people like you.