technics 1200 cartridge and preamp choices

i'm looking for a cartridge and preamp for my technics 1200, i was wondering if you all could give me some direction. i've done quite a bit of searching on the web; from what i understand the tonearm on the 1200 is medium weight.. i've read alot of favorable reviews of the Denon dl-103 and 103R which are about in my price range ($200-300) for this type of tonearm.

for preamp, I was looking at the Grado PH-1 and the Creek OBH-8SE ($300-500 range) i'm especially interested in hearing peoples opinions of these preamps or ones of comparable value.

i'll be playing all genres of music from classical to rock.
fadeawayman

Showing 1 response by tapashead

for the technics (which i've had) i think the grado phono stage would be a very good choice. its a bit rounder and smoother than something like a dynavector p75 (which i have)... and will balance out the slight glare in the lower treble of the 1200 (not bright as in tizzy, but as in a hardness). also, for your setup (if you go with a 103), the ear phono would prob work very well if you want to spend a bit more. i thought 103 worked well on technics arem... (i am sure people will start to post that the denon is ultra low compliance (5cu)... it is still low compliance, but it is actually 9 or so cu when measured on the calibration that most of us are used to. denon uses some weird unit on there specs)