technics 1200 cartridge and preamp choices

i'm looking for a cartridge and preamp for my technics 1200, i was wondering if you all could give me some direction. i've done quite a bit of searching on the web; from what i understand the tonearm on the 1200 is medium weight.. i've read alot of favorable reviews of the Denon dl-103 and 103R which are about in my price range ($200-300) for this type of tonearm.

for preamp, I was looking at the Grado PH-1 and the Creek OBH-8SE ($300-500 range) i'm especially interested in hearing peoples opinions of these preamps or ones of comparable value.

i'll be playing all genres of music from classical to rock.
fadeawayman

Showing 1 response by nzera

You could pick up a used Bellari for $150 and a new KAB Groovemaster for $200. I'm currently using this combination on my KAB modded technics 1200, and would highly recommend it. For what its worth, I've owned Creek, Dynavector, Monolithic, and Plinius phono stages. With high output cartridges, the Bellari is competitive with these much more expensive stages. Have'nt compared too many cartridges on the Technics, but the Groovemaster is an excellent cartridge (tracks well,low surface noise, easy to set up, no inner groove distortion, not too analytical etc).