TechDAS Reliability vs SME

Thank you for your thoughts and advice!

Wondering what the long term reliability is for more complicated turntable designs such as TechDAS with vacuum hold down vs designs without vacuum hold down.  Also somewhat concerned about who would fix a TechDAS issue if you were to have one?

Currently have a Sota turntable with vacuum system and SME IV.VI arm but I'm getting some new Wilson Audio Alexia V early next year and would like to upgrade my table as well.  I purchased a Mutech Hayabusa and Sutherland little LOCO k2 but haven't installed.  

Thinking TechDAS III or V but also interested in the new MK2 SME model 15.  

Yes I know TechDAS looks like it should be in a laboratory but I do like the idea of the amount of technology they have invested in turntable design.  Essentially I do like the look of the TechDAS, especially when the AirForce III was in white/silver color.  

Chad has increased my vinyl collection a ton in the last few years so ready to spend some money on my table. 

Thoughts or vote SME vs TechDAS! 

chauncey

My experience has been the more technology that is in something the more there is that can and will go wrong.  I have had an SME 20 for 19 years and never had a problem.  Some minor upgrades to bearings and wire. It sounds as good as the day I bought it.  That said, based on your system you have money to spend so maybe you are best off just going with the sound you like and letting the repair bills fall where they may.  BTW, I feel we are all spending too much on our phono pre’s.  There are many good reasonably price phono pre’s out there and the Loco is o e if them.  Live with it for a while, it may be all you need.

Might want to consider a Basis turntable & arm . Time tested quality & reliability & sound excellent, substantially better than the SOTA which I also owned at one point.. Absolute Sound loves them & Stereophile never mentions them although been around for almost 40 years made in NH. strange…..

I’ve had my 2500 for 22 years & 0 problems. I got one new belt & 2 cartridges over that time. A J Conti knew what he was doing! 

Kuzma R or M with the 4Point arm - much better sounding than the SME

I've heard the Stabi R many  many times and it is my next table (currently have a Stabi S) very simple yet can accept upto 4 arms, someday will use it with 2 arms myself.