TEAC UD-701 vs NT-505 vs ?

I stream Quboz and Tidal via a Bluesound Vault 2. Vault transmits to Parasound JC2 to modded A21 to Vandersteen Quatro CTs. (See my profile for complete description of system.) Happy, really very happy, with Vault 2 but it is likely best point at which to upgrade my system.

Considering TEAC NT-505 ($2K) and new TEAC DAC/streamer UD-701 ($4K), which has some very attractive features: in-house-built discrete Delta-Sigma DAC with FPGA circuity, dual-mono signal path, four separate power supplies... Have seen enthusiastic reviews for NT-505 from owners here. Only one review by Moon Audio out about UD-701, and they are not an uninterested party. Curious if any out there have heard UD-701?

Open to other suggestions, including used with roughly $6K price ceiling. See TMR has used Aurender A-10s for sale. Used PS Audio Direct Wave DAC with bridge is another consideration, although I have seen owners comment negatively about the bridge.

Not wed to DAC/streamer combo but that has appeal to me because it eliminates a box, connecter, and power cord, all of which add to cost and connector makes signal path less direct.

Also not wed to SS but a tube DAC appears to me to introduce an additional source of distortion into my otherwise SS system, so it will then be affected by both SS and tube distortion.

Thoughts?

Bosssound

128x128bosssound

I did an in-store demo of the T&A200 for 3 hours, only streaming Qobuz, and I did not find the PCM or upsampled sound to be noticeably better than the RME. I have not played DSD through anything other than the RME and the TEAC. 

@chestercopperpot ,

Thanks for sharing your experience. And good to know that you like the Teac, especially with DSD. Can you describe how the DSD on the Teac was better or different than on the T+A DAC 200? What attributes about DSD you liked on the Teac as compared to the T+A? 

My UD-701 arrived much earlier than expected:)

I’m still comparing. It’s difficult to do blind DAC tests in my setup. But I’m very happy with the TEAC so far. The biggest benefit early on is its dexterity with DSD. I finally heard true DSD today rather than PCM converted, and...what do you know, it’s amazing!

I doubt I’ll stop using the RME, it’s so capable in so many ways, plus the new desktop remote has me excited. But I’m almost certainly keeping the TEAC, specifically for DSD.

I have the Okto DAC 8, T+A DAC200, Chord Hugo TT2, Teac UD-701 among the top.

Well, I'm not known for conventional behaviour;)

I'm asking these questions because I can still return the TEAC DAC, and I'm trying to 'meet' anyone with more experience than me, so that I am prepared when it arrives. I've never heard the 505, never heard an Esoteric DAC, and those seem like pretty important points of comparison. 

Certainly I'll share my comparison of the RME with TEAC; so far I have heard Mola Mola and T&A 200 DAC, neither were noticeably better. 

@chestercopperpot ,

I am a bit baffled. You are asking this question after ordering the DAC. Normally people register to ask questions and seek advice, before ordering. If anything you can now tell us about how you feel about this DAC compared to the RME that you own 😃

I want to get a new DAC because the Oppo that I have is not really a DAC, but a disc player with a DAC. The Teac is in the top 5-6 list and hence the interest in this thread, for me. Do let us know what you feel.

I just ordered a TEAC UD 701, based entirely on (sparse) online reviews, forum posts and one friend's recommendation. It arrives in a month. I currently use last year's Node and an RME ADI 2 DAC. Is a integrated streaming DAC from TEAC better SQ than what I have? It seems that RME and TEAC are by few or no one.

I'm asking forum members who have tried one or both DACs, RME & TEAC, what your impressions are. Personally I'm looking to upgrade my pre amp (RME's digital pre amp) and the DAC itself. Only SQ matters. I ike my RME, and I haven't heard another DAC yet that improves my system (Stax HP, Carbon, RME, Node).

I'm also really intrigued by upsampling, which the TEAC send to do pretty dang high with DSD. I've tried it a little, not much. But does upsampling even have an effect on what I hear?

Every system is different. Measurements are not everything. This is a very good DAC, from what little user experiences I have read.

@milpai 

Tks for the link...interesting review.

I will say that as far as "limited soundstage depth", the UD-701N was certainly better than the Yggdrasil in my system, but I'm not certain what he was specifically comparing it to in his context.

I was also impressed by the UD-701N when I received it. I eventually decided to add the Master Clock. Just as @vinylcat and ​​​​@celestial__sound state it was a good upgrade. Also surprised me as I was expecting a very subtle change not a noticeable improvement. 

I’m a Teac dealer, so take this as you will.  

Was surprised as well upon adding the clock — the improvement is obvious, not subtle.  And that’s from a very good DAC already.   It’s a really cost effective upgrade.   

Decided to home demo the TEAC CG-10M Master Clock Generator with my UD-701N this week.  No cost risk - figured I’d give this a shot even though the 701 is stellar on its own.

The improvement is very clear and discernable with everything I’m checking out (presence, spaciousness, transient response, and bass articulation).  I was anticipating it would not change much and I was way off.  It’s a keeper for me…very nice upgrade for a relatively modest cost.

I didn’t try the CG-10M with the NT-505X when home demo’ing, but my dealer (Esoteric Audio, Richmond, VA - great service) keeps them stacked in the demo room and attests to its improvement in that config, as well.

Using a 50-ohm 1-ft cable, but will need ~0.5m for my setup (do not want to stack).  Also will try different power cords down the line.

Anyway, if one has the opportunity to demo this master clock generator with their TEACs (or other units), it’s could be a worthwhile endeavor (certainly was for me).

Also, finally getting around to tyring out Qobuz with the UD-701N, which is nice, and getting more in tune with  the Lumin/Esoteric/TEAC HR app, which is actually not too bad.

I'm really sorry to hear some of you having a problems with the UD 701N network module. I have mine for about a month and I've never experienced any problem related to the network or anything else. I'm using it on a daily basis mostly Tidal connect streaming from my android phone, sometimes Roon RAAT (still deciding weather I should by lifetime subscription) and Internet Radio. 

I've come up to threads regardless of the device that some users experience problems when using tidal connect from Windows application (the device didn't appear as endpoint). Is this maybe your case?

I'm really impressed by the TEAC UD 701N DAC module. It sounds so organic in both multi bit PCM and 1 bit DSD. It have terrific resolution and clarity. Definitely game changer 

Well I have an update. I moved the unit to a different wifi ecosystem and it magically works! So, it would appear that there's something wrong with that internet service or, maybe plugging other things into the wifi extender somehow interfered.  Who knows?  

I will keep on investigating, but otherwise really back to enjoying the 701.

The streamer in my NT-505 rarely connects to the network anymore also. It's relegated to my bedroom system anyway but I'm getting a streamer (like ifi Zen Stream) that works as an NAA for HQPlayer. The DAC still sounds outstanding and feeding it DSD makes it that much better.

@ptatztxt 

No suggestions here, but wondering if you use a local NAS and if that has issues playing as well with the HR Steeam or other controllers?

(I ask as I have only used my 701 via NAS and haven't yet run into any issues.)

I certianly hope you can resolve your connection issues...

My sympathies. I responded enthusiastically to Bossound early in the thread. Having upgraded from the NT 505 and like you, added the clock. Loved it.  Then qobuz started to misbehave. Here in the uk, there is now no support as TEAC have centralised to Germany. The third party repair centre had no manual and eventually said could not obtain a spare board. 4 months later I got a refund and sold the clock at a loss. I loved the DAC in 1 bit mode. Superb. Will never buy a Shenzhen product again. Now have an Innuos pulse streamer and a musical fidelity DAC, both built in Europe. Hope you can resolve your issues.

Well, I bought the TEAC UD-701N, to replace my NT-503.  Anyone who owns the NT-503 knows that it doesn't have access to TIDAL through it native (and wonky) app.  Using it with bubblenup doesn't give access to MQA which I like (don't judge).

Anyway, the short term replacement was a Blusound Vault 2i.  It worked well, but I wanted something more. 

When I purchased the UD-701N and set it up it worked fine.  The TEAC streamer app allows a firmware upgrade from the app and I initiated that process.  It took some time and the wheel kept spinning on my phone, but the unit itself worked.  

A sign of things to come.

When I started using it, both the TEAC streamer app and TIDAL Connect worked fine, and the unit sounded great.  I am actually a fan of TEAC products, so I was quite pleased.

Anyway fast forward a couple of weeks.  The Networking function no longer works.  Both  TIDAL connect and the native TEAC STREAMER app see the device on the network, and allow me to scroll and select tracks.  But that's it, it wont play.

I get various errors, like "No network connection" or the native app continuously logs me out.  Bubbleupnup tells me that the "action timed out".  

It's so annoying.  

I restarted everything.  I updated the unit, both the firmware and the netware, and did a factory re-set.  nothing works.  Such a shame that blusound can work flawlessly but this unit cant.  

The unit is connected like the blusound was, to an ethernet port on an netgear EXA20 extender.  I have Starlink satellite internet.  The TV, and desktop computer (which i use to stream now - back to square one again...sheesh) all have internet and work fine.   

I'm pissed! 

Having said that, the DAC is the best TEAC DAC I've heard and its mated to a TEAC CG-10M.  

Anyone have any suggestions?

@celestial__sound 

Nice to hear you went with the UD-701N.  (my dealer has mentioned it's been very popular with his clients, as well.)

I started out with MB to gauge its sound relative to my Yggdrasil (MB as well).  I have since changed to 1-bit DSD (512).  Both are quite an improvement in all areas.  Some of my favorite demo/test digital music (e.g. Ry Cooder - Talkin' Timbuktu...) is really impressive via 1-bit; seemed to add even more depth and clarity to this incredible recording.  l'll experiment a bit more with format and other settings (easy enough), but as of right now I'm inclined to stick with 1-bit.

I recently purchased the TEAC UD-701N and I am extremely pleased with its excellent qualities, particularly the transparency of vocals, resolution, and clarity. The unit is currently in the burn-in process, so I anticipate even further improvements in these aspects. Will keep you updated!

@vinylcat Out of curiosity do you use Multi bit PCM or 1 Bit DSD? :) 

@celestial__sound 

There's your answer.

I was just going to add there is a toggle on the HR Streamer app for Tidal & Qobuz (I don't use them as I only stream via local NAS).

This unit has been impressing me more and more over the past couple weeks.

It supports Tidal.  Shows up as an endpoint in the Tidal app if it's on your network.

@vinylcat ​​​​​​

I'm seriously considering the UD 701N. Could you confirm that it supports Tidal connect? 

@bosssound 

My only direct comparison was at home vs. my Schiit Yggrdrasil A2 with the iFi Zen Stream.  I initially used the Zen Stream for both DACs (SPDIF for the Yggdrasil; USB for the TEAC UD-701N) to keep fewer variables.  The TEAC was an immediate improvement (to me) wrt to clarity, dynamics, soundstage depth, width...all leading to a more engaging and immersive sound.  The closest element was probably the dynamics, as the Yggdrasil has a great analog output, as well.

(In fact, my experience the week before with the NT-505X was also an improvement over the Yggdrasil in the same context, just not to the level of the UD-701N.)

There was no element the Yggdrasil provided that I preferred over the UD-701N.  And the Yggdrasil is a very nice DAC...

Everything from vocals (Loreena McKennitt, Joni Mitchell, Chris Isaak, Johnny Cash), guitar (Acoustic Alchemy), pop (Paul Simon), rock (Phish, The Cure), and "world" (Dead Can Dance) was preferable on the TEAC.  (I listen to Jazz music strictly thought vinyl, so no input there...)

I then listened to the TEAC via its network connection, and a few comparisons with the iFi Zen (USB) streaming showed furrther improvement, but I didn't do too much comparison because (a) had to switch inputs on unit (no remote on hand), and (b) the TEAC network connection sounded so good I didn't want to switch.  (one of its four independent power supplies is dedicated for the network, I believe)

That said, the Yggdrasil is less expensive than the TEAC, but the TEAC's delta in performance vs. cost is much greater than I would have thought.  I likely would have still purchased the TEAC even if it had no built in streaming (or preamp and headphone amp, which I won't likely even use).

You've provided some insight on the UD-701N vs. the HiFi Rose 150, and there are other brands with similar cost and features (Lumin, Simaudio, Auralic, Bryston, etc.), and I've heard some of them at shows and dealers, but certainly not enough to assess any to the level of a home demo.

Hope that is somewhat useful.

@rblnr 

Glad you thought so highly of the TEAC.

I may try the TEAC Clock down the line, myself...my dealer will let me try that at home, as well.

"The UD 701N reflects what a larger company with the engineering prowess and buying power can do for the money if they put their mind to it."

On that note, so to speak, I found a similar result with my current main audio speakers (Paradigm Persona 3F)...a rather large, resource-filled company focusing on some "higher end" products which they wouldn't normally be noted for.

@rblnr 

Decision to pick up line is telling. Eager to hear your thoughts on comparison to Esoteric counterpart.

@vinylcat 

Delighted that you found unit that brings you joy. Could you say a little more about sound quality of UD-701N, in particular in comparison to other models that you considered.

Cheers.

I’m a dealer so take this as you will, but I got a demo unit to test on the possibility of picking up the Teac line.   

The first thing you notice is the build quality, which for the money is off the charts.  But build quality isn’t sound quality — I hooked it in our reference system and A/Bd it vs a couple of DACs, cheaper and more expensive.   Longer story short, it’s a terrific DAC at its price point and above.  Add in the flawless operation of the streaming (via Roon or its own app), ability to work as a 100% analog preamp for vinyl and many other features, and I think it’s a killer value and an excellent component on an absolute level.   And in a surprise to me anyway, adding the external clock clearly improved audio performance.   Based on this experience, we picked up the line.  I’ll be A/Bing it vs its Esoteric counterpart soon.  

From the house designed DAC to the build quality/internals at the price point; the UD 701N reflects what a larger company with the engineering prowess and buying power can do for the money if they put their mind to it.   

I completed a long weekend home demo with the UD-701N last week...

so impressed with what I heard (as was my wife) that I went ahead and asked my dealer to order one for me on Tuesday and picked it up yesterday (very fast turnaround).

It's now residing in my system rather comfortably.  Very nice piece of equipment and I feel a great value (as is the NT-505X).

BTW, I'm not real thrilled with the Lumin/TEAC/Esoteric app, but it's usable.  Mconnect is still my go to for control, but that may change if/when I ever do more streaming (other than my local NAS).

Although nothing beats a home demo, this thread here was very useful (and just a few others I found in the interwebs).  Lots of other usual suspects in this price range for Streamer/DACS, but this TEAC fully suits my needs.

Regarding the lack of reviews for Teac, I had read that they do not loan units out for review, not sure if that's true.  Long time UD-501 owner (Burr-Brown chips), very happy with the  unit, fantastic build quality and trouble free.  Smooth rather than hyper detailed, my Mytek Brooklyn+ beats it there, but it's still a keeper.  Lusting for the NT-505 or 701, but financially not feasible.  Miim pro next for sh*ts and giggles as replacement for my PC based streaming.

Concur on the lack of TEAC advertising and reviews...

I was not familiar with nor would have considered TEAC without a recommendation from my local dealer to just give the NT505X a listen, as he and some audio club members did a listening session with it against a well known, much more $ brand  (and its new upgrades) and were impressed, perhaps surprised, that they all preferred the TEAC.  I wasn't really even in the DAC market.  I did a little research (and found this thread...as there are very few on the 505X or the 701N), and thought why not give it a shot.  The 505X was indeed impressive, but glad I am also trying out the 701N.

Honestly, the digital side is secondary to me, but I'm all for major improvements at reasonable cost.  There are many other brands/models to possibly try out that have many reviews and associated advertising, but the TEAC value (relative to either model being discussed) would be hard to beat, I imagine.

The build quality is unquestionable, very high level. The fact that they learn and borrow from esoteric makes UD-701N even more attractive. But still, I don't really understand why Stereophile, TAS and other magazines never reviewed a product by TEAC or Esoteric. There are tones of reviews from other DAC/Network Players like Topping, SMSL, Gustard, Denafrips, HoloAudio, Mytek, HIFI Rose but there almost none for TEAC and maybe few for Esoteric. Is it a bad marketing or, magazines are avoiding them for any(?) reason. I just don't get it. 

Agreed. Wish companies stop including volume control in the DAC. Just create a pur DAC - nothing more nothing less.

Had a nice comp session with my Yggdrasil (SPDIF) and dealer demo UD-701N (USB), both running thru an iFI Zen Stream (w/iPower 12V).  The Yggydrasil is a very nice DAC…the TEAC is really more impressive…more so than I thought it might be.  The clarity, soundscape, engagement, substantial build quality (at least on the surface) is very attractive.  I don’t have much interest in the headphone side, and none in the preamp side, so can’t comment on those features.

Will try the Network connection this weekend…if it’s like the 505X network, should sound even better than thru the Zen Stream.

Would like to get my ears on the Weiss 501/502 at home someday (only heard at shows), but this TEAC 701N may be the ticket for my digital needs.

@celestial__sound  similar DNA but the 701 stops short on spatial retrieval. The 05 soundstage in bigger in every direction, it digs deeper into the music, the specificity of instruments/voice in the stage is better on the 05 as is dynamic contrast. The 05 clearly sounds a bit more realistic to me and is just better everywhere when compared side by side - but at 2.5 times the cost. Since I had the choice and didn't need another DAC for my seldom used 2nd system I kept the 05. All this is of course to my ears and in system etc..  :)

Hi @mantis007

Could you please describe what was better on the N-05XD, was it day and night difference? Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that the N-05XD should be on another level but I'm also curious weather the 701 is miles away or share the same DNA with N-05XD

I had both DAC’s at the same time. I liked the 701 very much but bought the N-05XD and compared. I kept the 05 in my main system and sold the 701 as my second system didn't need a DAC. As good as the 701 is the 05 is an another level. JMO

tony

celestial,

i did my own comparison, too (UD-701N & N-05XD), and from what I can tell, spec-wise, is that the Esoteric has more headphone power.  Call me cynical, but on the surface at least, it looks like one might be paying ~$6K for a nicer housing and faceplate.  I gather there’s more to it than that…there must be, right?

That said, I like the design of the TEAC.  The NT-505x is a solid little guy itself, and the UD-701N comes in at 26 lb…a good hunk of DAC.

Can’t wait to hear it at home, as I’m contemplating a new streamer, new DAC, or a new DAC/Streamer like the 701.

vinylcat Thank you for your response. 

I've done some research and I think the N-05XD and UD-701N share absolutely the same DAC module according to the PCB layout and the internals. Here is picture from TEAC

and from ESOTERIC

celestial_sound

TEAC UD-701N and NT-505X are made in China.

Esoteric N-05XD made in Japan.

I demo'ed the NT-0505X last week...very high value piece.

My dealer has the UD-701N coming in this week that I can home demo, as well.

(Currently using Schiit Yggdrasil A2 w/iFi Zen Stream).

DPC

Hi Folks. I'm interested in buying the UD-701N. I'm curious weather It's made in China or Japan.

Thanks

Rich post. Particularly appreciate the comparisons to other DACS. Tickled to hear how much you are enjoying new unit.

I brought home the UD-701N 2 weeks ago as a Demo unit and have been running it in pretty much constantly. From the first listen I knew I was going to like it! My current DAC is a Pontus II. I had the RS150B in my setup for an evaluation a few months back and it was good! Excellent detail retrieval, non-fatiguing, good imaging. My issue with it was the soundstage depth which was not great imo, especially compared to the Denafrips! Back it went. The 701n is everything the Rose was in terms of detail, but with more of that R2R sound that I have become accustomed to, and with an equally deep (behind the speakers) soundstage (maybe deeper than the Pontus!) and all-day listenability. I get none of the fatiguing sound that someone mentioned, and quite to the contrary. The sound has that magic in between of being smooth as glass while not forgoing detail. I agree that the Bartok is WAY too laidback for my tastes (boring unless your speakers and the rest of your gear is bright as hell!). I have also heard the Esoteric N-05XD and this DAC/Pre is about 90% of it for 65% less money. My Amp is a recapped and upgraded Threshold 400A class A, and I’m pissing the wife off because I can’t stop listening! At some point I have to shave and leave the house….

To jbuhl:

I would call this: an introduction of sorts. The seller, by definition, can not provide an objective review. Very seldom do so-called "independent reviewers." He wants to sell this product and discusses the BR-20 accordingly.

I wanted to update this thread to say I sent the UD-701 back.  In my system I like the NT-505 better. The 701 had a more "open" sound but just wasn't as enjoyable for long listening as the 505.  It wasn't what I would call bright, but all these terms are subjective.  Clear, bright, open, analytical, etc. could all mean the same thing depending on if someone had positive or negative feelings about it.

@arize84 Good to know I am not a party of one on Bartok front.

@bhvf  Curious to hear further thoughts on the UD-701 DAC now that you have had the unit in your system for a while.