TEAC NT-505 impossible connecting to WiFi router o such LAN: help me please?

Hello mates,
I got my NT-505 3 days ago.
It seems to be working correctly but in my opinion all software in not the same level than the device: too aged & often no relevant documentation or support about.
However my big trouble is the NETWORK interface:  since first time I switched on, the NT-505 remains "for ever"  into NET configuring blinking state until it goes in power stand by.
Summarizing:

1. RJ45 cable is ok - tested in several manners
2. the wifi router (1Gb fiber connection) is ok
3. the wifi router ether ports (4) are ok - I checked a bridged LAN configuration too

Testing the NT-505 Ether port It results:

1. the physical level of protocol seems working correctly just on-way: the interface recognizes correctly the bandwidth (Fast ot Giga in my case) end the packet coming from the router are buffered. No packet sent  to the router.

2. At protocol level no ARP session are involved hence impossible retrieve MAC address and trying to do something.

VERY STUPID ISSUES:

1. Being NET board logically split from MAIN board It's need a separate firmware(!!!): how can I upload the NET firmware if, as stated into documentation, I must use the mobile app and It's impossible connecting the device to such LAN?

2. NO menu interface to configure manually the net parameters.

May someone help me (tricks..., recovery sw,..., low level maintance menu...,...) 

Thank you a lot.

silvio66
@kosta68k. Glad to hear.  Mine has been stable for about 4 months now, since its repair.  Any issues have been with the Lumin app or my internet service.  My fingers remain crossed also.
I dont use room, but streaming Dsd via the nas, tidal, and qobuz all work flawlessly. 

Whatever problem they did have ....seems they have acknowledged and corrected. 
My bad. Shame on me!!! :))) original apps r working great. Some how Tap operations mod in the app settings was set improperly... but I still don’t understand why if Teac HR App was setup this way other apps (Lumin and Esoteric) pick that set up automatically. 
I received my NT-505 some weeks ago. No problem connecting to my ethernet home network, it plays my dsd vinyl rips fine, and streaming with Tidal is ok also. Headphone amp seems quite good.

I have a problem. How do I play a music file from a usb flash drive, plugged into the front of the Teac? The manual says the input selector should be "Net". But I cannot see my test file on the flash drive, through the Lumin or the HR streamer app. I tried minimserver/rescan, no help.
I solved it. I've mainly used the Lumin app, but now I downloaded the Teac HR Streamer app on my ipad. This shows the file on the flash drive and plays it ok. Now, however, it doesn't show my home network drives. I must go into setup, and choose "Teac NT-505 USB Music Server", rather than "MinimServer". A few extra clicks, to switch between these, since you cannot have both - but it seems to work fine.
Not sure what went wrong at first, but I can now switch music library easily in Lumin also.
This is one of the real major problems with the NT-505.  The owners manual really sucks big time.  So hard to really figure this thing out.  I spent an hour on the phone with an expert on this unit to figure out how to do just a couple of things I wanted to do.
Mine is still doing great after the repair. 
A lot of playing with the menu will help you figure this thing out. 
i haven't found it difficult to operate at all.  I have noticed that both the lumin and hr streamer app behave much better on an ipad v. samsung s20+.

I still haven't figured out how to incorporate the tunein radio function...
I still like mine so much that I’m now seriously considering going down the next rabbit hoe- the Teac cg-10m separate 20MHz clock - to take it even to the next level. 
18 months for me zero issues
@kren0006 My NT-505 has been perfect since I ran a CAT-8 cable to it.  I did not notice much if any difference adding the CG-10M.  You might be wasting your money.
Hmmm. Interesting. I’ve seen several reports where owners noticed a good improvement and others like you who did not. 

I said 20 MHz above but meant 10 MHz. 

Yeah I guess we’ll see. Maybe if a good sale pops up. For now it sounds great stock. I still have been leery to download latest firmware
I have the clock.  I think on complex orchestral music there is an improvement.  Not so sure on other stuff.  To me it is a crap shoot, but if the price is right, worth doing.
Anyone have a good sense about how much higher on the cost ladder one has to climb to beat the NT/505 in sound quality?

I’ve heard those who’ve owned both say PS Audio DS Sr beats it at $6.9k. 
Anything lower cost than that?
Love_that_sound wrote: I still haven't figured out how to incorporate the tunein radio function...
I have the same problem.

Here's how to use Tunein.  I use the Lumin app, but I think would work with the TEAC or Esoteric app also.  

You need to set up a Tunein account, select favorite stations, and then in the Lumin app under TEAC options, click Internet Radio Settings, provide your Tunein login info, then Update Radio Channels.  This is how I listen to Radio Paradise by the way.
Having been with Teac NT505 for 2 months. Currently use it as an "all-in-one" solution for Amp (2 sets of Teac AP505 as mono block) & Speakers (Elac 249.2). Everything works perfect and I enjoy it.

Still currently been trying with Roon for 1 week. Can't see any improvement with Roon (default setting). Not sure what is the best set up to enhance capabilities of both Roon and NT505. Please advise.

P.S. Not sure a Teac cg-10m would make it better for my sound system. Still not available for sales in my country.  
Working fine, for me, with the version I got in October. No problems connecting through ethernet, playing DSD files from my network server, Tidal Mqa, etc. Headphone and USB connections work ok. Lumin - ok. Since it fullfills its promise, my attention now is more about, how good does it sound. 
big greg - thanks

how good does it sound? Some folks gauge sq by price... a dual ak4497 dac on paper is nearly impossible to beat IMHO. Of course.. the dual ak4499 could outclass it on paper, but at this level we’re down to splitting hairs and total subjectivity. Anyone being objective would come to the same conclusion.

This nt505 has every component required to compete without the ultra luxury brand names. This thing checks every box I required minus the wanted color screen (see cary audio).

There is no way in heck the cary audio dual ak4497 streaming dac with color screen is worth almost triple the price of this.

I streamed our dsd rips via the oppo205 for a long while.. sounds great, but the nt505 is on another level. I totally understand why industry people reference the ak dacs as warm and velvety vs the ex9038pro being harsh.

My wife calls the nt505 mightymax.

My initial requirements: DSD512 via network (im not interested in assembling yet another pc to stream music whilst having a massive home NAS), Color screen, MQA, dual balanced dac, spotify (for my wife), tidal, qobuz.  Amazon and yahoo music would be a net plus, but unnecessary.  The dsd via network seems to be a difficult feature for whatever reason and very few streaming dacs have it.

I’m not much of a reviewer, but I’m a realist and a professional civil engineer. For me - it is what it is. Minus the hiccup I had being an early adopter with whatever problem the usb/network board acquired ... teac replaced it nearly free and even out of warranty. I can’t complain and this does everything I wanted it to.

I researched OCD style and nearly purchased a pioneer elite streamer from overseas until i stumbled upon the nt505.  After stumbling upon a few other streamers - ifi something with dsd1024, cary audio, etc, etc.. i kept coming back to this nt505.  

As it turns out .. mqa blows (subjective I guess) and the color screen is really unnecessary when using an ipad or smartphone as a controller.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

@love_that_sound Did you ever get the CG-10M?  If so, what are your impressions?
@love_that_sound  - my DSD rips sound much better on the Teac than on my former setup (Logitech Touch as streamer, Tascam DA-3000 as dac). I like my recordings from vinyl better than Tidal master/mqa. Then again, the vinyl played direct sounds even better. Not surprising given the price difference in my system. But the Tascam is so good that I am hard pressed to tell exactly WHY the vinyl direct sounds better. No longer the old "digital" feeling, or not much of it. Not so flat, not so muffled or tunnel-like. Digital has really evolved, and if I didn't have a very good analog chain, maybe I would not have missed anything. I am not sure how much is the Teac's fault, some may be due to limitations of my recorder (DA-3000).
i didn't pick up the master clock yet, but I intend on buying when I get the chance.

The covid craziness has made simple things more difficult. 
Keep an eye on Teac's ebay page.  That's where I picked mine up, it was "open box" and discounted.  Looked like new to me.
Hello all,
 I've been reading the ins & outs,ups & downs.Hope my NP505 arrives intact.I bought it on eBay.Not sure if the guy is a authorized dealer so we shall see.
I bought a Azur 851N & the L channel went out after a week.Then came back on.The next day the reght channel went out so it is going back tomorrow.The dealer is sending me a FedEx return,no cost.
Anyway,I am not a computer guy so, I hope you folks are available for a fellow Veteran.

Regards,Tom Kelly Casa Grande Arizona
Teac just released a new flagship streamer dac that uses delta sigma conversion. Not sure if available in US. EP and JP sites disclose. 
Hard to tell but I think quite a bit more expensive than the NT505 was
They have been blowing out the NT-505 on Walmart. I figured there was something new coming out. I'm surprised they're going to Delta Sigma, I really like the sound of the AKM chip in the NT-505.
Looks like it's also a preamp and headphone amp. Still no digital out so that you can use an external DAC.

UPDATE:

Teac has finally come out with a firmware update to the NT-505. I haven’t downloaded it yet.  I need a connector to do it and I can’t find the one I used last time.

Also, the Lumin app and Teac streamer app have an upgrade also.

Just be aware that one you upgrade, it may log you off Tidal.  If all of a sudden you can’t play songs you have saved from Tidal, check to see if you are logged in.

Good luck people.

You can do the update from the TEAC HR Streamer App. I’m doing it now.

EDIT:  This is only for the network software, not the device firmware.  My bad.

I did the update to both of mine and all went smoothly.  Thanks for letting us know about the update!  I've been using Roon and it doesn't tell me there's an update available like the Teac or Lumin apps would.  I haven't had a chance to listen yet, other than to make sure they both still work. 

There's an interesting menu addition called "sound" that gives you four options, including "Live", "Rich Harmonics", "Fast Attack", and Neutral.  It'll be interesting to see what, if anything those do.  

How do you do it with the streamer app?  I have an IPad and IPhone and I can’t figufigure it out.  I also have a PC that I tried and got really messed up.  Stuck in the update mode over 3 hours.

I ended up calling the service center that worked on my unit.  They were nice enough to talk to me.  Told me I would have to unplug the unit and it was a 50/50 chance of not destroying a chip in the unit.  

Thankfully all was good, but I still don’t have my unit firmware updated.

Help doing it with a PC, or how the Streamer app might be able to do it?

Hi everyone, 

I have seen that TEAC published new 505X with sabre dacs, anyone bought it and compared it to the AK?

Hello all, 

coming back to the original purpose of this thread: I have been unlucky since the problem described (TEAC NT-505 cannot establish ethernet connect and remains in status "NET starting") has happened to me 2,5 years after my purchase.  What's more the TEAC distributors have closed down their offices in my country (Greece), so I am a bit lost as what to do next..

@xamastrok 

My story is just like yours. I had the NT-505 for about 2 years and then the same problem started to occur. At first it was intermittent but over time it got worse and worse until eventually I could not get it to connect via ethernet at all. My solution was to use a spare external streamer I had to connect to ethernet and route the digital output to the NT-505's digital inputs. I use a Bluesound Node 2 but there are a number of less expensive streamers you could use. 

@1extreme

thanks for the reply, it has been exactly like this, at the beginning it worked on and off and I was not too worried, now it's impossible to connect.

Thanks for your suggestion about an external streamer, I will do that as well since I am at a dead end now and the rest of the NT-505 is of good quality. Theoretically, I should opt for a streamer without dac as not to pay extra for something that is already there.

It's funny that I acquired NT-505 to replace a number of previous separates. Afterwards I bought a headphone amplifier (HA-501), and now a streamer :)

Is this problem fixable any more by Teac or a qualified technician? I think early in the thread it was possible to replace a board within the unit, if memory serves. Has anyone dug in recently to see if that is still an option for this ethernet connection issue?

I'm nervous that I'm right on the heels of those having the issue

@kren0006

Considering that a lot of these units were sold and there are relatively few complaints about this issue, you shouldn’t worry about it until it starts to go. There are other threads on this topic on other audio sites. Lot’s of frustration expressed by various owners about not being able to find anyone to make the repair. If they did find a service center willing to try then the service center was not able to get the part from TEAC and in one case TEAC sent a newer ethernet board that did not fit in the original NT-505 which has been replaced by a newer model. My opinion is if the ethernet connection no longer works it won’t be repairable but at least does not effect the function of the rest of the unit and the workaround is to use an inexpensive streamer to provide the digital out connection to the NT-505. 

That's how it starts. Intermittently which is what makes it so damn frustrating. Then eventually it goes out permanently.